Salt is a preservative, isn't it??

Author Topic: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??  (Read 7298 times)

Offline drewcrane

Re: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008 - 06:34:32 PM »
they have a fancy name for it here in colorado its called magnesium chloride , i call it bromo seltzer and one of the promoters drank a glass full of it to prove it wasnt harmful,i wonder what kind of gas he had :roflsmiley:its like a greasy brine when they spray it down, and is highly corrosive to aluminum wash it regularly :violin:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008 - 07:23:05 PM »
Hey I can live with a car that will last 56 years in the salt lol  :poopoke:

I hope he meant 5 to 6 years. otherwise...  I'm moving to Canada.    :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008 - 07:40:55 PM »
Fixed  :banghead:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2008 - 03:15:10 PM »
Al your crazy   :screwy: didnt your momma tell you about stuff like that   :poopoke:

Whas that salt mine in Hutch KS?

Dodgeboys, I've been down in the Hutchinson salt mine, all my brothers and sisters live in Hutch. I don't think that's the one Alan is talking about, the one in Hutch is owned by Carey not Morton (unless it's changed hands and I didn't know about it). My sister's boyfriend worked down there for a company that leases part of the mine from Carey and has a storage business down there! The mine has a constant temp and humidity so it's perfect for long term storage. He told me that they store film for the big Hollywood studios and they have an original copy of Gone With the Wind there. He said they also have a Stradivarius Violin stored there. It was a really neat place to visit, but my wife said she would never go down there again. She has an elevator phobia and that open sided mine elevator didn't set to well with her! :smilielol:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2008 - 03:19:13 PM »
Thats normal, my Magnum looks the same way, lol.   :sadwavey:

:grinyes:  My truck looks more grey/white than it does red!! But don't worry Mike I'll take it off your hans so you dont have to worry!!    :woohoo:   :roflsmiley:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2008 - 03:20:46 PM »
Weeks Island La. Is where i was working

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2008 - 03:53:05 PM »
As a native northeastern Illinoisan, I have come to really dread all the salt they use on the roads here in winter.  In recent years, even a few flurries in the air would result in the trucks out dumping tons of salt on the roads.  Which is as hard on the tires as it is on the sheetmetal!
This year is a bit different, road salt got so expensive all the towns around here are trying to cut back a little.  And even dilute their mixtures with beet juice!  But it is snowing every other day so the end result is salty roads with areas, especially sidestreets, of packed snow and ice.  So your car might not last long enough to rust because you'll slide into a tree and total it!!
I typically will own a car and a 4wd truck.  My last 2 cars and my new Challenger if I am able to buy one, stay in the garage when it is snowy or even if the streets are wet with melting snow.  My poor truck takes the abuse, and my last truck rotted away.  My mid 90's Ram is starting to get rusty too.  But the worst thing is the mechanical problems all the salt causes.  In recent years a front axle U joint replacement and a front axle bearing replacement both ended up being big expensive jobs because the nut had rusted to the axle and axles were destroyed cutting the nut off with a torch.  A starter replacement last spring was a mess because I couldn't get the rusted starter harness nut off without trashing the connector bracket and the connectors on the harness in the process, off to the Dodge dealer to order a new $120 harness. :swear:
And when I got the starter and new harness installed, I fired her up and soon found my wrenching under there had been the last straw for the rusty trans cooler lines.  ATF all over the driveway. :eek4:
Then a couple months later the brake pedal went to the floor as I approached a red light.  Rusty brake line burst.  Lucky was going slow when that happened!
Same stuff had happened with the old truck, along with a rusted out gas line.  I smelled gas when I was taking off the rear license plate when I sold it, I think the gas tank was rusting out too.
You dry climate folks should try working under a salt belt car someday, nothing like getting a face full of rust flakes when your trying to wrench on something!
With the government threatening to ruin the utility of light trucks in the future with unobtainable gas mileage requirements, I think I need to baby my next truck so that it will survive several decades.  So will that mean I need 3 drivers, a nice car that stays in the garage in winter, a nice truck that I won't drive when the streets are salty, and a beater to drive on bad days?
Maybe it would be easier to just move down south. :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008 - 03:56:59 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008 - 03:57:38 PM »
On the Donner Summit pass hwy 80 between Sacramento outback area and Reno, Caltrans uses a mixture of bio degradable Anti freeze and sand mixed together. Then they just drive down the road with their tailgate cracked leaking it onto the roads as they drive down it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2008 - 06:35:41 PM »
As a native northeastern Illinoisan, I have come to really dread all the salt they use on the roads here in winter.  Maybe it would be easier to just move down south. :dunno:

I feel your pain as I spent 40 years in Rochester, NY. C'mon down to NC....plenty of room for more Yanks!

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008 - 07:29:36 PM »
I work in a salt mine every day. We have several levels at the potash mine I work for. A good 70-80 percent of what we mine is pure salt. Down at about 2100 is a huge pure salt seam. That is the level that our WIPP site is utilizing for nuclear waste storage.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008 - 06:13:48 AM »
Dodgeboys, I've been down in the Hutchinson salt mine, all my brothers and sisters live in Hutch. I don't think that's the one Alan is talking about, the one in Hutch is owned by Carey not Morton (unless it's changed hands and I didn't know about it). My sister's boyfriend worked down there for a company that leases part of the mine from Carey and has a storage business down there! The mine has a constant temp and humidity so it's perfect for long term storage. He told me that they store film for the big Hollywood studios and they have an original copy of Gone With the Wind there. He said they also have a Stradivarius Violin stored there. It was a really neat place to visit, but my wife said she would never go down there again. She has an elevator phobia and that open sided mine elevator didn't set to well with her! :smilielol:

Thats the one  :thumbsup: it was 10 years ago last time I was in Hutch I heard about the storage place, never been in it though but it sounds cool :bananasmi
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008 - 12:22:19 PM »
Man I am so glad I live where they never salt the roads.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline supertuff

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ovQwr11oQ
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008 - 02:16:19 PM »
  where do you think country ham comes from ?   the road right out in front of my house !!   :hyper:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008 - 03:05:12 PM »
started 4 years ago with a pretty much rustfree `78 bmw as my daily... I`m going to check out another one tomorrow since this one is disappearing while driving  :walkaway:  :money:  :faint:    My car started it`s life in Switzerland where is a lot of snow and ice in winter but if things get too slippery they throw sand on the roads instead of salt.   It survived more then 25 years in that habitat without resto, and 4 lousy years in my country kills it  :villagers:
*** Bart ***

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2008 - 04:20:27 PM »
I feel your pain as I spent 40 years in Rochester, NY. C'mon down to NC....plenty of room for more Yanks!

Steve

I thought it was Florida? lol

Really though, I noticed alot of Yankees going down to NC a few years ago. I don't blame you for it, I've been to there.