Author Topic: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??  (Read 7277 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008 - 11:49:24 PM »
Its very bad here in PA. Calcium chloride on the roads, and then salt when it snows. Takes a vehicle about 5 minutes to look ten times worse than MEK's car.

I've heard they use sand up in the northeast. Is that true? Their winters are worse than ours, so why dont they use it here?

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008 - 12:47:30 AM »
Mike, you need to move farther south. Only sand used here :wave:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008 - 12:54:22 AM by onefornow »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2008 - 12:52:58 AM »
I've heard they don't like using sand because it is messy to clean up, fills up the storm sewers and such.
Salt just washes away after a while.  So what if it destroys everyone's cars?
I'm a pilot and have seen that they never use salt on runways or taxiways.  That is because the corrosion it would cause on airplanes is considered a safety hazard.  I guess when your car's brake lines rust out from salt induced corrosion that is not a safety hazard? :clueless:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008 - 03:23:27 AM »
If you think that's bad, you should have seen my Stealth after five and a half hours worth of driving across Wisconsin after we just got dumped with 11 1/2" of snow...It was kind of depressing seeing my car so white...It took two washes to get it cleaned up and ready for another clay bar & wax, so that kind of gives you an idea as to how much salt and other junk was on it. :'(
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline sadil340

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008 - 09:04:44 AM »
Its very bad here in PA. Calcium chloride on the roads, and then salt when it snows. Takes a vehicle about 5 minutes to look ten times worse than MEK's car.

I've heard they use sand up in the northeast. Is that true? Their winters are worse than ours, so why dont they use it here?

They used to use a sand/salt mixture on State roads in Connecticut and last year switched to the same Calcium Chloride/salt process used in PA where you live. Calcium Chloride was justified for its lower environmental impact but I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004291523_treekill19m.html which talks about Calcium Chloride killing trees in Washington state.

I use ash from my wood stove on my driveway. It works great and is actually good for the acidic soil on my property. It melts snow and ice if there is sun (ash is a dark color so the light from the sun converts to heat) but probably wouldn't be available in enough quantity to be practical on State roads. I remember years ago in Colorado they used a combination of ash and sand to great effect.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008 - 09:07:35 AM by sadil340 »
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008 - 09:38:44 AM »
I use ash from my wood stove on my driveway. It works great and is actually good for the acidic soil on my property. It melts snow and ice if there is sun (ash is a dark color so the light from the sun converts to heat) but probably wouldn't be available in enough quantity to be practical on State roads. I remember years ago in Colorado they used a combination of ash and sand to great effect.

My dad used to work for PennDot somewhere back in the 60's-70's. They used to use some combination of ash also, because I remember him talking about having to check the "ash pile".

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008 - 10:50:41 AM »
My dad used to work for PennDot somewhere back in the 60's-70's. They used to use some combination of ash also, because I remember him talking about having to check the "ash pile".

I lived in Pa. until '82. I remember all too well sweeping those black ashes off the bottom of the driveway. I also remember wiping out on my bike and getting a knee full of them.    :stomp:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008 - 12:53:53 PM »
I lived in Pa. until '82. I remember all too well sweeping those black ashes off the bottom of the driveway. I also remember wiping out on my bike and getting a knee full of them.    :stomp:

Mike
  Maybe you took your training wheels off too soon ??   :poopoke:   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008 - 01:05:22 PM »
  Maybe you took your training wheels off too soon ??   :poopoke:   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Sorry Mike, just got swept away by the BURN :crazy:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008 - 03:29:52 PM »
  Maybe you took your training wheels off too soon ??   :poopoke:   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Let me start by saying I KNOW I SHOULDN'T be saying this...   :grinno:

I did start out with training wheels. I think they were useless. They were probably invented by a parent that wanted their kid out of their hair, but not getting hurt.   :grinyes:

It wasn't until the training wheels were off, and I got beat up good a few times in crashes, that I learned to ride a bike.  Now, mountain biking... Ouch!! I have a couple of broken ribs to prove I haven't learned all there is to know yet.    :bricks1:  I'm a crash test dummy out there.   :lol:

Mike   :sadwavey:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008 - 03:39:11 PM »
Oh Mek, I can sure relate to the crash dummy scene.   In 1968 I traded one of the horses I had for a mongomery wards riverside 50 cc motor cycle that didn't run.  We lived on a farm around Davisburg Mi.  I would push this cycle up hill then hop on and ride it down the hill through the trees with it in gear just to listen to the sound.

Well after a few sessions like that the SOB took off and started running while wide open, in gear, and going down hill.   It kicked my but up one side and down the other. I still remember that day very well.

I have many stupid stunt stories from when I was a kid......I think I was the early version of the show Jackass by accident.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2008 - 05:02:03 PM »

I have many stupid stunt stories from when I was a kid......I think I was the early version of the show Jackass by accident.

You should have seen me in electronics class in High School. There was NO hiding when you had your hand where it wasn't supposed to be.    :grinno:

How I never got electricuted is amazing, but I gave my friends some timeless memories.   :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008 - 07:18:34 PM »

Hey, dont you have a pretty recent story to tell about riding......eh....er.....trying to ride a minibike??   :smilielol:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008 - 10:47:54 PM »
That's what I was thinking. Al's mini bike was the first motorbike my wife ever drove.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008 - 10:50:25 PM »
Cudaguy saw the bike today and found out John's wife drove it to and he busted out laughing at me cause it kicked my butt