Author Topic: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?  (Read 13809 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« on: December 26, 2008 - 01:53:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've thought about it a couple of times and although this is a poll it doesn't mean what ever the results are I drop what I'm doing and do. ;D I just want to see what other members opinions are. She is currently .030, stock rotating mass, no high performance internal mods, stock heads, stock intake (and air cleaner/lid), 4bbl AVS 750cfm carb, tti headers and tti X-Pipe exhaust. She goes well for a basically stock engine but I feel she is a little sluggish for my tastes, more of a high end car than a get up and dance off the mark vehicle. She has 3.91 rear gears so I can't see going to 4.10s as much of an improvement, not enough for the hassle of getting them in and getting quiet ones anyhow.

I have other high performance toys, (580hp and 680hp+) so I'm thinking perhaps leave this one stock and classy as she is my original #'s matching car. Any ideas on what I could do to get a little more out of her without going too wild? Maybe a bigger intake/carb set up and an air cleaner without the actual OEM cleaner lid set up? I was thinking of getting cut outs but not for power just for sound as she is very quiet inside for what the car is (Dynamat). Any ideas, input and help is appreciated. Thus far I'm leaning to leaving her as-is, just enjoy her as the 40 year old car that she is and in that respect she definitely goes hard.

Cheers,
Carl

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008 - 03:42:28 AM by Carlwalski »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Pol: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008 - 02:04:00 AM »
Hi Carl, i was thinking you could leave it stock and then thought you could most likely just pull the heads and swap out for a set of Mopar head gaskets.  That is of course your engine has been built before using Felpro's, this would change the compression of your engine just enough to notice an ever slight improvement in power.  The Mopar head gaskets are steel and are .020 thick compressed and the Felpro are composite material and are .038 thick compressed.  Just a thought for a freshen up :dunno: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008 - 02:07:07 AM »
Hi Carl,
I like your idea of maybe a different intake and carb along with an open element air cleaner. All items that can be removed easily to go back to stock. Personally, I wouldn't go any further than that since you mentioned it's your numbers matching car. Also some time on the chassis dyno to fine tune the carb and ignition advance - again, all stuff easy to go back to stock.
Happy Holidays!
Eric

Bottom line, it's your car do what you want! :thumbsup:
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008 - 02:33:42 AM »
closed chamber heads , better cam & SD intake will make the biggest difference for the $ spent if u need to do i t

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008 - 02:36:17 AM »
I'm assuming you have an OEM type carb(?) so I would go for a performer RPM Intake, a thunder 800 AVS and a good open K&N aircleaner with a Extreme top. That's the easiest way I know to 40+ extra hp on a 440 without removing the cam or heads.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008 - 03:09:06 AM »
I think you should leave her. She's perfect just the way she is. :2thumbs:
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008 - 03:14:48 AM »
  I voted leave her alone, it must be playing on your mind now that the Cuda is coming together and will have more grunt.   :burnout:  Lucy is and was your first, once you start to play with her where will you stop, then it will be a H.P. race between the 2 cars.   :working:   :2cents:
Dave

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008 - 03:42:06 AM »

Whoa! Thanks for all the replies guys, the new intake and carb plus open element air cleaner to achieve 30-40hp sounds good. Easy to go back to stock and 30hp+ will definitely be felt by way of seat of the pants. Thanks guys, all posts and ideas have been taken into account.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008 - 05:01:27 AM »
Your car looks great.  Sounds like a plan for sure.  Think I might just keep my original engine seperate so I could always put it back in.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ladman

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008 - 07:21:07 AM »
Carl, if you're interested in an intake, carb, or air cleaner, I have them listed unders "Parts For Sale".  Which ever way you go, good luck. 
'73 'Cuda Pro Street

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008 - 07:47:36 AM »
I'd keep it stock, or at least stock appearing. You could do a research and find out how the F.A.S.T guys are making power... but as said, you do got other cars for power and speed..

Cheers, Happy Christmas!
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008 - 09:40:11 AM »
I'd keep it stock, or at least stock appearing. You could do a research and find out how the F.A.S.T guys are making power... but as said, you do got other cars for power and speed..

Cheers, Happy Christmas!

:iagree:

I'd keep it bone stock looking, and do some mods to make it faster. You could change the heads, even go to eldebrocks and paint em orange, bigger cam, better carb but leave the factory air cleaner. Make it look bone stock but add the extra HP. Easy to undo later.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008 - 11:09:27 AM »
Hey Carl,
Don't touch it,
your Challenger is really neat the way it is and you do have other ride's if you want to mess around and go fast...
Vin....

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008 - 11:25:10 AM »
As is. In Lucy's instance the basically stock motor just works for me although i like the idea of upgrading breathing and therefore reaping extra power :2cents:

Cheers mate :cheers:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008 - 11:26:07 AM »
I have to repeat the old saying:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE    DON'T FIX IT !
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.