Author Topic: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?  (Read 13805 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2009 - 09:41:07 PM »
That is one thing I will never get. How can you own an absolute performance icon and not want it to kick ass? I would be just as embarassed to cough and sputter down the quarter mile to a 15+ time slip in a hemi car as I would be to submit a rusted out project car for OE judging lol.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2009 - 02:31:36 AM »

Thanks everyone for all your help, opinions and input, it's much appreciated. :worshippy

Larry - A Shaker on Lucy is 100% out of the question lol. IMO the Bulge hoods are the sexiest hoods out. Now......'Cudas on the other hand? Shaker all the way, without question. The 'Cuda "Sports" hood (to me) just fails in comparison to the Challengers sleek womanly looking curved hood. At this stage my resto shop is now open so I will go in and discuss it further. Their first thoughts were look at the cam and I agreed but said I don't want to go to those lengths. So, it'll either stay as is with some 4.30s or 4.30s with intake and carb upgrade.

Thanks once again everyone.  :2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009 - 02:42:58 AM »
I just noticed you live in Colorado. Chances are you live in thin air. All the more reason to do everything possible to LET IT BREATHE :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2009 - 02:45:55 AM »
Colorado New Zealand maybe

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2009 - 02:49:13 AM »
Suspect vehicle, 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, white in color, Colorado license OA-5599....be on the lookout.

:clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2009 - 03:10:52 AM »

:lol2: Got the plates (legal NZ) a few weeks back and got the correct 1970 State plates to use.  :2thumbs:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2009 - 03:56:32 AM »
  As it says at the bottom of your picture "be on the look out"......   but sarge it's already gone outa sight   :cooldancing:
Dave

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2009 - 01:45:58 PM »
That's cool that you can use plates like that in NZ. No way you could in Joisey.  :grinno:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2009 - 05:58:31 PM »
I know plenty of guys that don't care about how their cars run. I've seen 15 second Hemi cars run at the track. For me it's about not getting embarrased at a traffic light by a Honda Civic with a turbo driven by a pimple faced teen. It's my duty to kick that booty. :biggrin: 

I've seen that too, pretty sad. My cars all run good, or they do once i'm done with them. I just cant see squeezing every tenth out when it means compromising the way i like a car to look under the hood.

Let me give you a example..my cuda droptop currently runs TTi headers, 3.55 gears with a suregrip and stock intake, heads, and AVS. The cam is a step or two above stock, but nothing too radical.  I bought it this way this time around and I'm considering changing back to stock exhaust manifolds since i dont like headers on my cars. I might not do it since it's a PITA to do, and i have to get the head pipes up to the factory manifolds, but as far as losing those 20-30 HP the headers gain, it's not a big deal to me. Would the car run quicker with a set of 3.91's or 4.10's? You bet it would, but i like the 3.55's for crusin so they will stay. I am also considereing adding a six bbl setup to the car. Now thats seems to be not in line with what i'm saying, but I've owned several 6bbl cars and i know how to set them up so they run good and i love the way the 6bbl carbs sound when the outboards open up. Thats a unique sound that I just love to hear. In all reality, a 6bbl setup might actually slow the car down, but all the ones I've owned have been a blast to drive once i got them setup right.

Now this car runs good, it's no slug and will not bring shame to the Mopar name with 15 second timeslips. But it has a lot more potential if I'd want to take it there, but for me it's purpose is to be a reliable cruiser that gets occasionaly run hard. Thats what makes this hobby so great, everyone can have something that they like. I appreciate all the work and planning that go into a well tuned and setup car that's purpose is to kick ass on the street or strip. I can also appreciate a well restored trailer queen.

Carl, hey man to each his own. I just think shakers on Challengers are the nicest looking hoods ever, but thats why it's your car. It looks great the way you have it.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2009 - 07:17:24 PM »
There's plenty of 12 second ricers around here. You better be kissing the 11's if you don't wanna explain why a primered Civic beat yer ass.  :grinyes:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2009 - 11:28:53 PM »
Ronnie Sox hopped in a $2,875 stripper RR 40 years ago and did a high 12 @ 111 with the skinny bias ply tires it came with, so what should be the expectation today for say a Hemi or 440-6 E body? A second quicker than that doesn't seem out of line in a car that still looks pretty stock with modern tire and engine technology.       

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2009 - 11:35:31 PM »
Ronnie Sox hopped in a $2,875 stripper RR 40 years ago and did a high 12 @ 111 with the skinny bias ply tires it came with, so what should be the expectation today for say a Hemi or 440-6 E body? A second quicker than that doesn't seem out of line in a car that still looks pretty stock with modern tire and engine technology.       

I thought I remember that RR being a 69 6bbl car though, that I'm sure was factory tuned to an inch of it's life.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2009 - 12:16:51 AM »
Yep, it was a 6 bbl 4 speed car with a Dana rear. Not exactly a light weight. 40 years ago the stock eliminator records were all 2+ seconds slower too. Now they have turbo 4 banger Minivans that do very low 14's and 318 Dakota trucks doing 11's in stock eliminator.   

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2009 - 02:53:50 AM »

Watch the F.A.S.T Year One comps to see some fast cars on factory tires. The earlier stuff where they had minimal mods was awesome. Now they have ported this, ported that, still factory appearing right down to manifolds and Bias tires and they're running mid to high 10s, 426 cars too (weighty).

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2009 - 03:47:39 AM »
Yeah, but they're pretty tricked out. I don't think all the stuff they do is necessary at all to kiss the 11's with a 440 E-body street car DD if you just take care of the basics and have a clue how to drive. I had one 25 years ago that did. You guys wouldn't even use the junk parts it had.  :grinno: