Author Topic: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?  (Read 13825 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008 - 02:28:13 AM »
The RPM Intake always wins the HP contest on a stock motor. I've seen just the new 800 AVS substituted for the stock 1970 AVS is worth 35+hp, even on a smaller 340. Add the good air cleaner and I don't see how you don't gain 30-40hp on a 440.
 http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-738676943

Thanks mate and everyone else. Pretty keen on this. What is the difference in the AVS vs. the 800 Performer carb? On Jegs website they list carbs that work with the Performer RPM Manifold and the AVS looks like it needs a lot of "extras" to work, unless I'm reading it wrong.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7193/10002/-1#

So does everyone agree that an Edelbrock RPM Manifold, 800cfm Carb (AVS or Performer) and K&N should do the trick, sounds good to me. Wonder what hp/T improvements will be. Will definitely provide what it sounds like I am after, hopefully afterwards the car will be around 420-430hp.

If someone please verify that my manifold is a square-bore carb flange (non-EGR), it's the stock manifold so I'm guessing it should be. I have old photos on my website attached below to help.

(forget the water pump lol, it's 2 pics in 1 image)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 - 02:30:19 AM by Carlwalski »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008 - 02:44:41 AM »
Yep. It's a square flange. A spead bore manifold has much larger holes for the secondaries.

The EPS 800 is also a very good carb, but you can easily adjust the secondary opening on the Thunder carbs. They are the same the way they hook up so either one will need the same parts.  :clueless:

You'll need to probably modify your linkage a bit because of the height difference of the manifold.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008 - 02:50:58 AM »
THIS is a non square flange spread bore Intake>
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008 - 03:37:27 AM »
the RPM is a decent intake for sure but it is tall , the SD would be a better choice IMO , the 800 cfm AVS Style carbs or better yet a good TQ would work great

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 340kiwi

• I'll see you in the babe section, Mr Anderson.
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008 - 03:46:17 AM »
It's like something out of a tabloid: Carl says Lucy just hasn't got it up top and needs surgery! :lol2:
Paul
70 Challenger - coming together at the speed of molasses on a frosty morning!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008 - 06:43:31 AM »
It's like something out of a tabloid: Carl says Lucy just hasn't got it up top and needs surgery! :lol2:

LOL! And as usual the readers don't read..... :lol2: :poopoke:
Down below is where she seems to be lacking a little. :wave:

Thanks Neil. Doing some searching the Holley SD sounds like another good choice but it doesn't sound like what I am needing as it really offers little gains in the bottom end which is where I am trying to get some better kick. Up top, the car is fine, once under way it's what IMO a 440ci should pull like.

I think I will stick with an Eddy Performer RPM, 800cfm AVS and a open element X-Treme K&N set up. Just have to try and find/search what others have with the bulge hood to see what will fit. A nice 14" filter would be sweet, just depends on the height I can get away with. You can get total air clean heights of either: 3-7/8", 4-5/8'' etc right up to 6-1/2"+. What do they mean when they take about drop bases? Also,  the Edelbrock RPM  intake you guys are speaking of is the RPM, not the RPM air gap or are they one in the same?? Just want to make sure before/if I go ahead and order.

Here is what I am looking at, any confirmation:

Intake - Edelbrock Performer RPM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7193K/10002/-1

Carb (+ advised adapters, etc) - Edelbrock AVS 800cfm (NON Eurashine)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1813/10002/-1

Air Cleaner - K&N X-Treme Air Flow Assembly
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayPopup?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=747887&itemId=92772&langId=-1&showValue=1

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008 - 08:56:59 AM »
How about a Six Pack?  :2cents:
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008 - 09:08:21 AM »
How about a Six Pack?  :2cents:

Thought about it but too far from stock (looks wise especially) and I prefer 4bbls for the ease of tune and the length they stay tuned for once set and IMO on a street 440ci a big 4bbl are hard to beat for many reasons. I appreciate the input though.

:cheers:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008 - 12:22:39 PM »
Looks like the right stuff if you don't need a drop base air cleaner. They give you a little more room to the hood. The RPM is a high intake.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008 - 01:26:41 PM »
I ran something very similar with a flat hood (barracuda) and it fit. 440, Performer RPM, 800 holley and a K+N drop base air cleaner, 3" element with the extreme lid (though not pictured here). Only change I made was to run a 1/4" nut instead of the wingnut provided with the air cleaner. If it clears the flat hood, then there shouldn't be any problem clearing a bulge hood. A 4" filter might be too much.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

nivvy

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008 - 02:12:01 PM »
Maybe you are right, it would be worth going a different intake at that stage I guess and perhaps an open element K&N air cleaner. Anyone know what intake would go well with a stock 440, heads and all? That combo would be good for at least 30hp. Sounds like what I am after. Also, how much is too much in terms of cfm for a stock 440ci engine, 850cfm?

Holley SD

:popcorn:

cubic inches X shift rpm / 3456  (barry grant formula) the carb expert!

440X6000/3456 ='s 763+ range
440X6500/3456 ='s 827+ range

what r u gonna shift at  :lol2:

Intake tests..

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/offenhauser.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 - 02:14:46 PM by StRoKer »

Offline 340kiwi

• I'll see you in the babe section, Mr Anderson.
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008 - 05:22:15 PM »
LOL! And as usual the readers don't read..... :lol2: :poopoke:
Down below is where she seems to be lacking a little. :wave:

Tabloid headline now reads: Carl likes his girls to have big bottoms! :lol2:
Paul
70 Challenger - coming together at the speed of molasses on a frosty morning!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008 - 03:44:33 AM »
Looks like the right stuff if you don't need a drop base air cleaner. They give you a little more room to the hood. The RPM is a high intake.

So you reckon I should get a drop base eh, sounds like it to be safe. Any way of knowing what inches I need to look at for a drop base before it starts hitting the carb itself, etc. They have 1-1/4''and 7/8" drop base dimensions. They also list a few set ups with raised base which I'm guessing isn't what I am after as it must obviously raise the height of the air cleaner set up. I'm thinking a 14'' X-Stream Assembly with 1-1/4'' Drop Base and Neck Flange of 5-1/8'' = Total Height: 3-3/4'' That should be good and fit under the hood on paper. Anyone concur? lol

I ran something very similar with a flat hood (barracuda) and it fit. 440, Performer RPM, 800 holley and a K+N drop base air cleaner, 3" element with the extreme lid (though not pictured here). Only change I made was to run a 1/4" nut instead of the wingnut provided with the air cleaner. If it clears the flat hood, then there shouldn't be any problem clearing a bulge hood. A 4" filter might be too much.

Thanks mate, that is good to know. Did you get a raise, standard or drop base K&N assembly? Also, what gains did you get/feel after adding your intake, carb and air cleaner set up? Was it very noticeable? Any dyno specs or estimates on gains hp/T? Better grunt down low and was it what you expected? Hopefully you put them on in one hit so you're in a similar boat to me rather than adding one every pay check if that makes sense, so you got a better feel of their impact. I'm pretty much set on the RPM Intake and 800cfm AVS if I go a head with this. Just trying to guesstimate the air cleaner I need. They are more expensive than I thought so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks everyone.  :cheers:

Ps - Paul  :icon16:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008 - 10:58:38 AM »
So you reckon I should get a drop base eh, sounds like it to be safe. Any way of knowing what inches I need to look at for a drop base before it starts hitting the carb itself, etc. They have 1-1/4''and 7/8" drop base dimensions. They also list a few set ups with raised base which I'm guessing isn't what I am after as it must obviously raise the height of the air cleaner set up. I'm thinking a 14'' X-Stream Assembly with 1-1/4'' Drop Base and Neck Flange of 5-1/8'' = Total Height: 3-3/4'' That should be good and fit under the hood on paper. Anyone concur? lol

Carl,

That sounds like what I have(1 1/4" drop base). You should be good to go.   :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008 - 11:36:41 AM »
I still prefer the adjustability in the secondary opening on the AVS compared to the AFB. If you wanna save some $$$ they sell reconditioned carbs at Jegs that are as good as new>
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/18129/10002/-1#