Author Topic: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?  (Read 13820 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Poll: Lucy - Should I Modify Her Engine?
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2008 - 02:05:08 PM »
the AVS is a far better design , TQ is better yet

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008 - 05:28:03 PM »
Carl,

That sounds like what I have(1 1/4" drop base). You should be good to go.   :thumbsup:

Mike

Thanks mate, you're engine bay is where I first saw the X-Treme lids and I have always thought it looked cool. Thanks for the confirmation, looks like I am good to go really. Is your 1-1/4" drop base on the same manifold/carb set up? I know you have a T/A hood but you'll know if it's close to a bulge fit or not. Just need to make sure I'm happy with changing the look a little on top. Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated.

:2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2008 - 05:52:35 PM »
Thanks mate, you're engine bay is where I first saw the X-Treme lids and I have always thought it looked cool. Thanks for the confirmation, looks like I am good to go really. Is your 1-1/4" drop base on the same manifold/carb set up? I know you have a T/A hood but you'll know if it's close to a bulge fit or not. Just need to make sure I'm happy with changing the look a little on top. Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated.

:2thumbs:

Yes, mine is a 1-1/4" drop base. My carb and intake manifold are different though. I have a Holley carb, with a Holley Street Dominator intake.

This fits under a standard flat hood.  :grinyes: The cutout for my hoodscoop isn't quite wide enough for the air-filter, so this setup still works under a hood that is quite tighter than your bulge hood. Even if your intake is a couple of inches taller, you should have plenty of room.

My question to you is... do you go with a chrome top lid on the air-filter, or black., or..    :stirpot:  Decisions, decisions.   :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:02:26 PM »

That part was easy! Black! :lol2: You know me Mike. :biggrin:

Sweet, that sounds like the ticket, thanks for that.
I will get the 1-1/4" drop base 14" 3-3/4" assembly. Any pics of your bay?

:cheers:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:15:18 PM »
Oh Sh!t.   :pullinghair:

This isn't the best. I took this yesterday. It was to show off my new hoses and new fan belts. The air-filter lid is chrome, although the lighting isn't that great to show how well it looks.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:24:30 PM »

Thanks Mike, that looks good to me. I definitely like the look of the filter top cleaners vs. the chrome/hard top lids. Looks more racier and like it's their for one purpose only, to pick up as much cfm as possible lol. ;D Thanks for that.

:drunk:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:26:30 PM »
You'll be a little shocked at the carb noise  :scared:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:32:09 PM »
You'll be a little shocked at the carb noise  :scared:

Anyway of describing it? Didn't even think of extra interior noise. I've put 2 CAI set ups, 1 on my Jeep, 1 on the Ram and they make a noticeable difference to the sound. It's like Darth Vadar breathing in continuously, the best way I can describe it LOL. But these are modern EFI cars with decent sound deadening, although Lucy is quiet inside with her Dynomat.

:popcorn:

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008 - 09:39:33 PM »
I think I am late to the party, but I voted keep it stock. However, with your subtle changes, super easy to put it back. But I know how most people are, once you start modding, it is a matter of time before it gets out of hand. Good luck.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008 - 10:28:11 PM »
Anyway of describing it? :popcorn:

LOUD when you put your foot down....  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008 - 10:41:31 PM »
LOUD when you put your foot down....  :grinyes:

Does it sound anything like a car that has had its air filter housing lid turned upside down?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008 - 12:28:46 AM »
More like there is no air cleaner at all.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009 - 06:16:56 AM »
Hi guys, just got out to the garage today and double checked my carb and invoices. I am running a 750cfm Performer series carb already. Is it worth going up to a 800cfm AVS style carb? Consensus is they are better but for the money will I even notice the difference once the AVS is tuned? Also, one thing, the Jegs site says the AVS carbs: "have no provision for evaporative canister" and my 440ci has one. But I'm not 100% sure as the Jegs and anything I've been able to find don't say too much. My questions, what do I do with my evaporator canister if this carb has no provisions, does it therefore make the canister useless?? Or does this mean the carb does the actual "evaporating" duties, or?? Below is the Jegs website with the notes, go to the second part of the notes part and see the 2nd note. Any help is much appreciated. Not sure what to make of it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7193/10002/-1#

Also, what happens to all the tubes/air hoses coming out of the factory air cleaner? The K&N style air filters etc don't seem to have anywhere for those to go. Surely they don't get plugged or something?? Sorry for all the questions, just won't to be right and prefer to triple check prefer throwing money down the toilet.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 - 06:30:56 AM by Carlwalski »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:01:01 PM »
Those hoses on your air cleaner are for the air doors on the snorkles. Once you remove the stock air cleaner, they are gone. What ever hoses you have going to the air cleaner that go to a vacume source you need to plug off. The hose for the valve cover breather that goes to the stock air cleaner can be eliminated with using a breather that does not have a vent hose (aftermarket)

The change of the air cleaner won't pick up much in the HP department, maybe 10-15 HP at that. Unless you want to change for the look of the aftermarket air cleaner, I'd leave it stock. Cars with stock valve covers need stock air cleaners...aftermarket air cleaners with stock valve covers look out of place and dont carry on a theme.  If you have aftermarket valve covers, then the aftermarket air cleaners look good.

Thats my 2 cents, but do what you like, hey it's YOUR car!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 - 01:05:39 PM by hemi71 »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:11:04 PM »
That stock air cleaner is very restrictive. Maybe not the element itself, but the size of the holes in the snorkels and the air flaps inside that further neck it down.