Author Topic: instrument voltage limiter  (Read 4515 times)

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
Re: instrument voltage limiter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009 - 06:46:20 PM »

:roflsmiley:      :roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:      :grinyes:
just one more job to do..................  (O----{|||}----O)

Offline R/TSE

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009 - 02:08:51 AM »
I was starting to get worried, i just sent my Rallye Dash to them last week....

Offline wiging19

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009 - 07:03:56 PM »
I had a really good experience with them.  I bought their part as we were tearing my car apart.  Seven months later we discovered they had sent me the b-body part.  I sent them an email and they said they were sending the correct part out.  Didn't cost me anything extra.  They said don't bother sending the other unit back so I gave it to my Brother in-law.  My car isn't on the road yet but I was very happy I didn't have to buy the replacement part. 

I've heard of others have similar experience with their good customer service.  So I wouldn't sweat their getting you the part.  I believe the investment will be worth it.  I bought the clock and tac units they sell too.  Now I'm just waiting for the Hemi k-member for my car and then we can go with the drive line.

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009 - 05:19:19 PM »

Got my limiter from Arkansas, arrived in good condition.    Just fitted it and it works perfectly  :thumbsup:

The best thing about the solid state one is that it safeguards your instrument panel from disasterous meltdown,

thats what happens if  your old one burns itself out !    So $50 can save you a bill for hundreds getting your gauges

rebuilt.                                          :cheers:Cudaneil     :bigsmile:

Offline wiging19

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009 - 11:55:36 PM »
Glad to hear you got it and are satisfied.  I never thought about replacing the guages after switching from a standard setup to a rallye.  I'd hate to have to find the pieces agian if that part did a melt down.  I just wanted a steady current running through my system and increase the accuracy of the tach.

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009 - 10:53:05 AM »
Glad to hear you got it and are satisfied.  I never thought about replacing the guages after switching from a standard setup to a rallye.  I'd hate to have to find the pieces agian if that part did a melt down.  I just wanted a steady current running through my system and increase the accuracy of the tach.

When you look inside the old voltage limiter, its a wonder they last as long as they do !   Its a real dinasaour of a set up with

a bimetallic strip and some VERY thin wire that heats up. If you value your dash guages i suggest you get a solid state limiter too   :grinyes:

Have a look at them      www.rt-eng.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009 - 11:01:39 AM by cudaneil »

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009 - 04:54:32 AM »
Or make your own for a dollar and 10 mins of your time? :dunno:
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009 - 11:40:47 AM »
I made this one today. Got the new parts at Radio Shack...about $8 for two regulators and a capacitor assortment. Next time I'll just buy the caps individually. I put them on the outside of the case due to space constraints and in case the reg. gets hot. I will add a heat sink before re-pinching the case closed, but RS had "just sent theirs back", whatever that means. I'm waiting on a bunch of them from fleebay...about $.50 each.

These pics are kinda sucko, so I'll tell you that I soldered the cap leads to the terminals, then soldered all the (-) ends with a short ground wire to the little clip. The other end goes to the center pin on the regulator. I don't have a meter, or I'd test it and post the results. We have one at work, so I'll check next week.

Steve

My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009 - 12:22:59 PM »
Please do post the results, you'll definitely need the heat sink.  That thing gets HOT!