Author Topic: Seems that everybody has a better car  (Read 3562 times)

Offline loco340cuda

Re: Seems that everybody has a better car
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008 - 11:14:01 AM »
Hey Al, I know what you mean,  my 70 340 Cuda is a driver and the paint job (or what is left of the paint) is a 50 footer at best.  When you get up close you can see the paint is faded, chiped, cracked, dinged, stained, you name it.  I really can't stand to look at the car because the paint job bugs the crap out of me.  But every time I drive the thing I always get comments like, "what a cool car that is" or "are you interested in selling it".  Hearing those types of comments helps me feel better about the car as well as reminds me that when I bought the car I knew it was going to be a long term project.  I hope in the next year or so I can finally start on the body and paint resto.  All the mechical stuff has been done already.

Even when I do do the bodywork and paint I will do it to a nice driver quality but not show quality.  I want to be able to drive the car and not have a cow everytime I am driving down the freeway and a rock gets kicked up and hits the paint.  The reason I own the car is to drive it and have fun, not to baby it and worry something is going to happen.   

:wave:  :burnout:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008 - 11:16:45 AM by loco340cuda »
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008 - 01:15:54 PM »
Hey Al.   You know you were going to start something when you posted this thread.  Mine is a driver too.   I got about 2000 miles on her now.  That is what I have put on her since I reset the odometer when I tore down the dash!!!   I think all of us like to think our cars are at least  somewhat unique.   There are some out there that are show only.   So you go to a show and see them.   Ours.....we drive to town and get thumbs up  :2thumbs:   and get a lot more exposure but usually miss out on the compliments.....cause we are going too fast... :burnout:.    I made mine to drive.....and I am........ :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Dave or David

Offline cj

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008 - 12:20:43 AM »
Al...no ebody looks bad to me, especially not a purple one.

Mine just had extensive body work done.  I told the guy who did the body work that I didn't need it to be perfect but that I wanted it solid because I planned to drive it.  He did an awsome job with the panel fit and finish and it now has nice shiny paint top and bottom.  I think I may regret the bottom because when I wash the car I feel like I need to crawl underneath and handwash all that too.  Under the hood is fairly well detailed but not perfect.  I have bugs in my rad too.  I like to keep it as clean as I can but it does go out dirty.

It has its flaws, a chunk missing from the grill, scratched stainless trim, pitted chrome mirrors, seats that need new foams and recovered, and crappy interior door panels. I could go on and on about all the things that still need some work and I hope to do a little at a time.

I threw some seat covers on, sanded and painted the interior panels and am so happy to have it on the road again.  I have had this car for over 30 years and some winters when I didn't drive it I thought about selling it.  And every spring when I fired her up and got out on the road it felt so good I knew I never could.  I loved driving it 30 years ago and I love driving it now.   
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

Offline back n black

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008 - 09:04:35 AM »
I have a fairly rough paint and body work on my car...but it's still fun to drive and nobody ever seems to notice.  I actual enjoy it being a little rougher then other cars I have had, because I don't worry about it as much. 

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:00:55 AM »
Geeze do I hear ya' Al!!!!!!!!    There's some cars on this site that are just plain too nice. I mean when you look at the members rides or resto sections.It's just S I C K !!!!!  This last year I went C R A Z Y on my 'cuda. All because of the rides here. The RMS front end,Baer brakes,5 speed,Rebuild the 340,Alum. heads.... :blah:    And it's still a sh!tbox on wheels.  Always will be.  Just a "driver" compared to TJ's or Travis's or ect... , ect...    it just let's me know I'm where i need to be.  Here with other total nut cases.   :icon16:     We are here for you. Most know how you feel. It's a journey not a destination.  Enjoy the ride buddy!!!!!!!!!!     :burnout:   
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:07:30 AM »
I certainly don't have anything to show on the underside of my car, under my hood is 'okay', but I usually don't pop it when at a car show or something. just like everyone else, I see every flaw in the thing and it bothers me more than most others...usually they dont even notice! Doin the best I can with it, I'll get it up to par as soon as I can!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009 - 07:19:30 PM »
:pullinghair:

http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/cudahalr/70HemiCuda/?start=all

Now that is.......................  A............QUALITY DRIVER............... For short runs I think..... :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Dave or David