Polar Bear 150 Racing at the Rock

Author Topic: Polar Bear 150 Racing at the Rock  (Read 706 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Polar Bear 150 Racing at the Rock
« on: December 30, 2008 - 09:41:54 PM »
There is going to be a special event at the Rockingham Speedway on Jan 1..........http://www.rockinghamracewaypark.com/home.html  I understand there are a few mopars entered..........The owner said it could be the biggest wreck that Rockingham has ever seen.......... :bigsmile: :bigsmile:.   They could start at many as 99 cars.   There were over 50 registered as of 12-02.  Check out the website.  We are trying to bring racing back to Rockingham.   Since Nascar has or is not allowing practicing at tracks that have races now..............We will or should have more activity here now. .........Since we are so close to the Charlotte area.   
Remember the Polar Bear 150 at 1:00 on the first.......................I will post some pics later this week..................
Dave or David

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Polar Bear 150 Racing at the Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008 - 09:45:29 PM »
Cool Thanks.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 - 07:37:54 PM »
OK..........We had our race today......It was worth the $20 ticket.   A 150 lap race where they qualified at 123 MPH............ and it took 4 hrs to run.   Needless to say with 66 cars starting.................there were a lot of cautions..........Some were bad too. My pics are too large to resize a lot so I did one at the lineup............Great day for it too.........sunny and up to about 48degrees......
Dave or David

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:00:26 PM »
What kind of cars did they run?

:useless:

I bet it was on tv and I missed it  :banghead:

maybe I can catch the replay  :thinkerg:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009 - 09:50:50 PM »
The cars were set up under the Frank Kimmel Street stock racing rules.  Roll bars, the works.   They were older models...........like there were at least 33 Monte Carlos about the year 72.  There were a few Camaros..........a Buick,....a Chevelle...........and ONE Mopar..........a 1972 Charger............It had 426 CI on the hood but they were linited to just over 400 CI.......so i really don't know what it had..........The reason there aren't many pics is my new camera packs soo many MP into a photo I have got to  learn the settings in order to reduce properly.   It wasn't on TV but it should have been. 
Dave or David

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 - 09:59:49 PM »
Cool sounds like fun.

I wish I could have seen it.

If you have outlook on your pc and you use it for email it’s easy to reduce the size using it.

In pic and fax, viewer click on the email button select medium and send to yourself you don’t need to send it just resave the image for uploading as a .jpg.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009 - 12:31:21 AM »
Bet it was fun.  Would have been nice to watched it.   Maybe some day I will get to see one again. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:51:57 AM »
http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/articles/2009/01/02/sports/sports01.txt

This is the writeup in our local paper...............
Dave or David

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009 - 12:56:46 PM »
That's very cool.  The local short track, Cajon Speedway, used to host two 150 lap enduro events a year with up to 100 cars starting on a 3/8 mile oval.  Talk about exciting!  :ylsuper:  They'd run 75 laps in one direction, take a 15 minute break and then run 75 in the other direction, with no yellow flags - only green or red.  If a car broke down on the track, he just sat there and prayed no one ran into him.  I saw the hardest hit I've ever personally seen in the last one. A guy lost his brakes going into a turn and ran straight into the wall doing about 60 mph.  It took the track crew 20 minutes to cut him out of the car - but he was OK.

Sadly, the track was on land leased from the county next to a general aviation airport.  The lease ran out in 2003 and the county wouldn't renew it, intending to use the land for airport expansion.  Today, the land still sits, cleared out and vacant.  >:(
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(