Exhaust cut outs

Author Topic: Exhaust cut outs  (Read 2472 times)

Tower Rat 95B

Exhaust cut outs
« on: January 01, 2009 - 08:03:05 AM »
 Anyone running exhaust cut outs, do you have any pics?  I might look for exhaust cut outs for my 70 Challenger, got any advice or oppenions?  So far I don't even know if they are even made , but back in the day I saw them advertised in magazines seemed like a good idea , just take the caps off :working: at the track and instant open headers :burnout: :smokin:..........

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Exhaust cut outs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:22:41 AM »
They have electric operated ones now they seem pretty cool if you need that sort of thing. :naughty:

Try summit or jigs I cant think of the name of the ones I have seen.

Looks like fun
 :burnout:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:29:16 AM »
summit sells dynomax stainless......
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009 - 08:31:01 AM by StRoKer »

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:56:30 AM »
 Thanks  :bigshades:,,,,,, no need for electric cut out thats too tech for my likings ,,,,,,,, those in the pic look like the hot set up will lookem up, stroker are those  on your car? just wonder if there worth anyting on et's?

thanks

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009 - 09:11:34 AM »
summit sells dynomax stainless......

Sorry to side-track, but do you have any pics of the rear mount for the frame connectors?  I'd like to add some but don't want to have to weld to floor pans. 
Your's look like they have some clearance.  Any details would be appreciated.

Thx

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 - 09:20:30 AM »
I am thing you need to add this to your stroker see video.  :bigsmile:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&resnum=0&q=electric+exhaust+cut+out&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=7&ct=title#

:burnout:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009 - 10:04:42 AM »
Yeah, Stroker, are those Mopar frame connectors? I didn't see E-body connectors in the Summit mag, just A and B? Where did you get those?

And to contribute to this thread topic. Cut outs are good for extra power. I have heard of dyno results being up to 20 HP difference. How much weight would your car have to lose to make and E.T. difference the 20 HP would make? How would your cassis handle that 20 HP?
All this is dependant on different things. It really isnt safe to say, "You'll pick up X amount of tenths."

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:34:22 AM »
Yeah, Stroker, are those Mopar frame connectors? I didn't see E-body connectors in the Summit mag, just A and B? Where did you get those?

And to contribute to this thread topic. Cut outs are good for extra power. I have heard of dyno results being up to 20 HP difference. How much weight would your car have to lose to make and E.T. difference the 20 HP would make? How would your cassis handle that 20 HP?
All this is dependant on different things. It really isnt safe to say, "You'll pick up X amount of tenths."

Let me dig up some pics if not ill go out today and get some... They are mancin racing frame connectors... They are not a bolt on like they say... trust me... there is plenty of clearance from the floor!!!

The rear section is weled on and bolted on in the front but you can weld the front if you want to...

the trick is to cut the rear section up some .... ill get pics...  :picture:

those were my dumps / exhaust but it has been sold to a member here...

here is what they sound like : first startup in a long time..

:bigsmile:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009 - 11:45:32 AM by StRoKer »

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:37:49 AM »
I have some of the ones Stroker has. However, whenever I decide to redo my exhaust, I will be getting rid of them. Cool idea, but becomes a pain to take on/off if you just want to make some noise on a street car. Open headers are great for a car like Strokers, but the average street car will gain more from a better designed exhaust. Also, when they are capped, they are a horrible exhaust restriction...like a dam to flow.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:41:09 AM »
this will be my new setup.... 3 1/2 mandreal bent and high flow muffs... same ET as open exhaust :working:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009 - 11:42:40 AM by StRoKer »

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009 - 12:59:52 PM »

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=53291.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009 - 05:31:46 PM »

I remember Redline and Rev-it-Up saying there was zero difference in power that they could feel on their 383ci R/T SE, they just loved the sound on demand. I like them but would only ever get the electric ones. No mucking around, good/safe for cops, hide the switch and it's your choice within a few seconds of a stock/performance exhaust or all out open pipes. I'm going to be using DMH Cutouts 100% on Madeline and I'm considering using them on Lucy's X-Pipe system. Check out You Tube for their videos.........

www.dmhperformance.com  :2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009 - 05:42:15 PM »
As far as performance gains, you're only going to see that if the engine is set up to run on open headers.  If it's a stock engine, even one with a little extra, it will run better on a good exhaust system because it is designed with the back pressure of the exhaust in mind.  If you tune the engine for open headers, it will not like it when you have to run on the street.  For the most part they are pretty much good ear candy.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009 - 05:56:38 PM »

I forgot to mention, or ask, the only reason I'm leaning away from them is after time do you think they'll stuff up the underside of the car? All those direct fumes and heat will quickly blacken the underside of the car, won't they? I'm think on my Challenger I'd probably use them once a drive for a good 5-10 minutes. Even when traveling at speed the heat will reflect/bounce back of the road. Anyone had them on for a good amount of time, any feedback on that issue, if any?

:dunno:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:15:11 PM »
It would be fun to pull up next to a ricer with the radio booming away and dround out the bad bass with MOPAR POWER!  :roflsmiley:

I dont think the heat would be too much  :dunno: you could add turn downs to help.
Go Fast & Have Fun...