Author Topic: Vin tags back in the day  (Read 9325 times)

Offline ozrt4406

Re: Vin tags back in the day
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:13:59 PM »
IS IT A VIN TAG WHEN IT DOESNT HAVE A VIN NUMBER ON IT? OR IS IT A PIECE OF TIN WITH CHRYSLER CORP PRINTED ON IT , JUST WONDERING WHEN IT BECOMES A VIN TAG?
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:17:01 PM »
NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS IN THE USA BUT IN OZ VIN TAGS REALLY DONT MEAN ANYTHING , OUR CARS ARE ONLY REGISTERED BY THE VIN NUMBER STAMPED INTO THE BODY SHELL , SO IF IT DOESNT HAVE A NUMBER STAMPED ON IT YOU GET A NUMBER ISSUED, AND THEN YOU STAMP IT ON PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.A CAR DOESNT HAVE TO HAVE A VIN TAG TO BE LEGAL OR REGD.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:17:59 PM »
When Chrysler makes it, logo & all, blank or not.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:18:46 PM »
NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS IN THE USA BUT IN OZ VIN TAGS REALLY DONT MEAN ANYTHING , OUR CARS ARE ONLY REGISTERED BY THE VIN NUMBER STAMPED INTO THE BODY SHELL , SO IF IT DOESNT HAVE A NUMBER STAMPED ON IT YOU GET A NUMBER ISSUED, AND THEN YOU STAMP IT ON PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.A CAR DOESNT HAVE TO HAVE A VIN TAG TO BE LEGAL OR REGD.
:iagree: this is correct.

But is totally different when we have to bring something in from overseas. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:21:35 PM »

You know what? that statement is downright scary to read. If I read that right then it would not be much of a hassle to steal a high dollar car, transport it overseas and get big money for it just by obliterating all the vin numbers that are on the body or on the dash.  :scared:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:26:17 PM »
our cars never had a dash mounted Vin number.

only body stamped numbers and plates or tags were introduced after 1969, so it was easy for thieves to do their dirty work....... it is harder now as people have records of what  cars were available and what is left.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:34:24 PM »
You know what? that statement is downright scary to read. If I read that right then it would not be much of a hassle to steal a high dollar car, transport it overseas and get big money for it just by obliterating all the vin numbers that are on the body or on the dash.  :scared:

Customs officials are quite good at spotting "altered" cars. Any car being transported overseas has to pass through customs officials in both countries.

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009 - 07:44:32 PM »
LET ME ASSURE YOU BARRY THAT CUSTOMS CHECK STUFF ALL CARS, IN THE USA OR OZ, ABOUT 1%. IVE IMPORTED SEVERAL CARS AND WHEN THEY ARE GETTING UNLOADED THE CUSTOMS GUYS TELL YOU TO WAIT TILL THEY GET THERE , THEY NEVER TURN UP ,AFTER A FEW HOURS  YOU SIMPLY PICK UP YOUR CONTAINER /CARS/ PARTS AND GO HOME , THE QUARANTINE GUYS ARE HARDER BUT THEY ONLY WORRY BOUT BUGS, TITLES DONT MEAN BUGGER ALL EITHER .CUSTOMS WOULDNT KNOW A CAR FROM A WHEELBARROW I CAN ASSURE YOU.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009 - 08:08:58 PM »
I have a pal that exports cars to AU all the time. He also imports Aussie cars to the US. His experiences are quite different than yours.  :wave:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009 - 08:12:32 PM »
Interesting story on the topic, I know one of the detectives mentioned;

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1515055

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009 - 11:20:28 PM »
[quote author=Moparal    

If it was legal back then, there are enough people still alive today to make comments on this as being legal and none have come forward over the years.   Just don't see it.

[/quote]

Exactly I don't see it either but I also don't know what all went on back in the 70's as I did not get a drivers license  until 1977,,,,,,  wass figuring some one here on the site might know something from real life exsperience  :dunno:,,,,,,, or even have a 71 parts manual and could look up a vin tag.....

Sure wish I had bought a couple of the blanks I saw at Carlisle  , they would make a cool key fob with the taboo and all :naughty:

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009 - 08:34:03 AM »
Interesting story on the topic, I know one of the detectives mentioned;

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1515055

If ya like that story google hemmings hemi cuda vin fraud,  long story about a N.Y.C.  guy that turns a 383 Cuda in to a hemi, lots of pics including a shot of N.Y Troopers pulling off the vin tag,,,,,,,,,  a true sign of the times and a darn shame too cause the guy had a rightious 383 Cuda with vin and they had to take it off cause the hemi vin was bogus and you just can't put the real one back on.....

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009 - 04:46:06 PM »
Detective Cliff Bieder was involved with that one too. So was I.  :wave:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009 - 05:09:17 PM »
Detective Barry sir :wave:  I remember an old post on moparts about that some time ago :2thumbs:

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009 - 05:46:13 PM »
Detective Cliff Bieder was involved with that one too. So was I.  :wave:

So what happen did the guy do some time?  What about the Cuda did it get its tag back or was that a total loss too.