Author Topic: DR on all four corners  (Read 1634 times)

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
DR on all four corners
« on: January 01, 2009 - 07:08:45 PM »
Anybody have any experience with drag radials on all for corners? For sticky handling 15"
I was reading on a couple of sites that some guys found them to be very good handling tires and used them on all four corners.
Thought I'd ask if anyone has tried them or has any feed back.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: DR on all four corners
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 - 07:13:55 PM »
I bet there are some better handling tires for cheaper. Sumitomo comes to mind, also Kumho.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:18:34 PM »
not designed for cornering , I wouldn`t use them on the front

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009 - 11:11:51 PM »
Gotta be better then all the other 15" being made today.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 73challenger_TN

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009 - 01:01:04 AM »
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Doesn't seem like they would ever get sticky because you couldn't spin them to get hot, perhaps. I have heard of people running Nitto 555Rs all the way around maybe. There aren't as "racey" as the others brands. The easiest route would be move up to bigger rim for sticky rubber.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009 - 01:04:44 AM »
actually warming up drag radials is the wrong idea , just clean them off in the burnout box & run them as is , more heat & they get slippery
Take a look @ www.discounttiredirect.com they may have some decent performance 15" tires

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:00:14 AM »
 :iagree: Mickey Thompson's website used to have a page about that. I don't know if it's there anymore. What they basically said was that the drag slicks had a gummier compound that was designed to be more efficient when heated up and even then they didn't recommend doing a big burnout, and the drag radial compound was designed to just require a quick spin to clean them. They said the compound on the drag radials would actually ball up and act more like little ball bearings if they were subjected to too much of a burnout!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009 - 12:25:12 PM »
For casual street driving they might be fine, but I wouldn't subject them to high lateral loads that are inherent with handling on autocross or road courses. One of the big benefits of a drag tire is a large, flexible sidewall to absorb shock loads of launching. This is the opposite of what you want for handling where sidewall rigidity provides stability.

Want some large, serious handling, 15" tires, check here in the Cobra section. Be prepared to pay as only Hoosier and Avon offer D.O.T. approved rubber in these sizes and price run up to nearly $400 a tire. http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/Cobra/

More reasonable choice may be the Mickey Thompson S/R in a modern tread design, stiff sidewall, and H speed rating. There are also a number of asian tire makers who make some decent rubber, but not always in the larger sizes we may want.

There are also offering from Towel City Racing Tires http://www.towelcityracingtires.com/ and American Racer http://www.americanraceronline.com/ that would be better than running drag radials on all four corners.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009 - 05:11:46 PM by HP2 »

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009 - 02:15:23 PM »
If you are wanting a cheap competition tire for corning, then Nitto has some under their NT01 series.
Prices at discount tire:
15"    
205/50ZR-15 86W BLK    $156.00
225/45ZR-15 87Z BLK    $160.00

the sidewalls are built  for cornering at the prices are pretty cheap, well, at least not 400+ bucks. :)

Here's the sales blurb:
Nitto NT-01, the pinnacle of Nitto Tires technical excellence. The NT-01 is a D.O.T. approved competition radial with an asymmetrical, non-directional tread pattern optimized for dry racing conditions. Beginning with a tread depth of 6/32", the NT-01 can be shaved to 4/32" to reveal a "slick" tread surface with two circumferential tread grooves. The NT-01 features a racing-inspired tread compound formulated for on-track performance to deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/nitto/product/submitZipCode.do?tmn=NT-01&typ=Competition&postalCodeSelected=75068

1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009 - 05:14:02 PM »
Yeah, but that's kind of reflective of the problem. 205 and 225 aren't exactly big sizes when put under a classic mopar.

Hoosier is closer with 245 adn 275 sizes for 15" rims, but that still could be considered small, although their grip is excellent. https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009 - 05:03:34 AM »
  Drag tyres by their design are for straight line performance and only work well when power is applied through them, so on the front of a RWD car is not good unless it is for show.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009 - 06:42:40 AM »
I have BFG drag radials and do notice they stick better around corners on the street than the old regular BFG radials,in fact the car pushes the front end more.A DOT legal slick like the Hoosier quick time I borrowed to try on the other hand has a soft sidewall and handles pretty bad on the street.I think it depends on the tire as the BFG must have a fairly stiff sidewall.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:16:50 PM »
Forgot to mention, I run Drag radials on my Mach 1, they are really good, pump the pressure up to 30 psi on the street and they corner better than regular street tires, however, there always a negative. When it rains, and not very much rain either, the drag radials are very slippery, the tread depth is so small that is really does does nothing to push the water away. So, running on the front would be super scary given that I run the street Nt555 on the front and the NT555drs on the back, the street tires atleast help push some water away before my rears get to them, running the race tread, even the road course racing design on the front will not help the rear much; = wrecked car.

Then again, you may never drive in the rain. :)

Oh, and I only get 8k miles out of the Drag radials, that is the best I have done and they were bald. Could be alot of  :burnout:.

Earlier, someone mentioned not to do a big burnout, when I go to the strip, I usually do a decent burnout for the first trip down the strip, then after that I only spin them to clean them off. They stick really well but are hell on parts, rear ends, drive shafts, trannys, etc. I run 12 psi at that drags.

The cuda will have Drag Radials on the back when it is done, really a must have if you plan on 600+ TQ.
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009 - 01:03:46 PM »
I had heard that the nitto and T/As had a side wall the same as a reg street tire so the diff is the tread rubber,
thats why I was thinking that it had to be better then running reg T/As .
It's the size I am after for the period look and some extra grip while I am at it.
The other thing I was thinking of doing was to have a set of Firestone shaved down to get rid of the tread squirm. Anyone tried that yet? Tire rack and some performance tires shops around here offer it around here.
For full track use I have 255/50/16 Proxes and some hoosier slicks.
Just looking for good 15s for my Minilites.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009 - 02:11:18 PM »
I guess maybe I don't understand the problem. You have dedicated race rubber, but want race like rubber for the street?

If you want that fat tire, trans am look, get some Mickey Thompson S/R street radials in 28x12x15 for the rear and 26x10x15 for the front. The large block tread reduces squirm over traditional street designs. The directional tread design displaces water and makes them safer to use the a drag tire. They are H speed rated to 130. They have a modern designed carcass for pro-touring applications hence a stiffer sidewall. You win in all catagories except maybe dedicated race applications, which you already have covered.