Author Topic: Leaf Springs for AAR Cuda  (Read 5452 times)

Offline cwestra

Leaf Springs for AAR Cuda
« on: January 03, 2009 - 09:04:34 AM »
I am looking for leaf springs for my AAR.  The set that came off my car were snapped at the front leaf.  I know Yearone can have them made but the price is about double that of regular springs from them, due to special order.  Does anyone know where I can buy a pair for a more reasonable price?  Or is it possible just to weld up the set that I have?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Leaf Springs for AAR Cuda
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 - 09:09:17 AM »
http://www.espo.com/  will build a set to your specs...I think most folks spend around $350.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 - 09:12:23 AM »
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 - 09:27:42 AM by bullitt99 »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 - 09:23:18 AM »
http://www.espo.com/  will build a set to your specs...I think most folks spend around $350.

They made the springs for my Polara, had an extra inch of arch added for trailer towing. Quite happy with them.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 - 09:52:26 AM »
That may end up being the cheapest price.  Would you use the correct spring configuration as well?  Where are you located bullitt99?

And thanks for shrinking my avitar. I had almost given up on that.  How did you do it?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 - 09:57:56 AM by cwestra »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009 - 10:53:02 AM »
That may end up being the cheapest price.  Would you use the correct spring configuration as well?  Where are you located bullitt99?

And thanks for shrinking my avitar. I had almost given up on that.  How did you do it?

I'm in Huntsville AL, Where are you? .. I don't know specifically what you mean by correct configuration, the folks at Springs-N-Things know how they are made & can custom make them for your car to have the ride height you specify I think the AAR/TA had a bit more rake than standard most folks ask for +1",+1.5" over stock.... The cheapest way to go is Mopar Performance Extra-Heavy_Duty springs, but many people are disappointed with the ride height & some think they sag in a short time
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/moxebosetlri.html
I use MS Paint's Stretch-Skew feature, put like 30/30 in then 50/50 till it looks right.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 - 11:27:05 AM »
I am looking for leaf springs for my AAR.  The set that came off my car were snapped at the front leaf.  I know Yearone can have them made but the price is about double that of regular springs from them, due to special order.  Does anyone know where I can buy a pair for a more reasonable price?  Or is it possible just to weld up the set that I have?

Use a top spring from another e-body set to complete your original set, and replace your broken one. A local spring shop can rearch if needed, probably for less that $50.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline cwestra

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009 - 05:16:55 PM »
Interesting approach.  Hadn't considered doing that.  If it worked I could retain the original P/N stamping on that is on one of the other leafs too. 

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009 - 10:56:32 PM »
Check around before jumping into it. A shop local to me used to re-arch and add a  leaf for $50 about 10 years ago. They have slowly cranked up the price and now they want $300 to do the same work.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009 - 06:46:36 AM »
Is that estimate per side or pair?  And is re-arching an old spring as long lasting as a new spring would be, as far as retaining its arch over time?

Offline cwestra

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009 - 04:12:23 PM »
I am going to meet with a guy tomorrow (Friday) who may be building leaf springs for my AAR.  I'll be bringing the old spring in but since it is probably lost some of its original arch I am concerned that I won't end up with the correct arch.  Does anyone know where I can get hold of some specs for this spring so I can assure a correct build? Part number is 3400048.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009 - 07:38:46 PM »
AARs and T/A were always a little higher at the rear. Was yours sagging? I haven't see a weak set in a T/A yet, maybe yours will be okay if you just replace the one broken top spring.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline cwestra

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:01:53 PM »
The height supposedly was raised 1.75" above normal.  I don't know if they sagged or not.  The car had air shocks and both springs were broken at the front where it curls around.  I am considering doing just the top spring, howerver the guy who is going to do them said it may be just as cheap do replace all (factoring in sand blasting the remaining leafs).  The good part of replacing just the top would be the retainment of the orignial part number.

So it is your feeling that the leafs do not sag that much, correct?  I may, then, be able to work off the originals to get the correct arch.  Even if I had a spec for standard arch it would be helpful, as I would just add 1.75 to it.

Another thing, the springs are "high-rated".  Does anyone know if this rating applied to all Cuda's?  Hopefully my guy will know what to use material-wise with this rating.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:36:03 PM »
I can't say that your springs didn't sag. I would at least get another set of top leaves, throw them together and see what my ride height was before I paid anyone any money. If it sits up, save that money and put it into a sandblaster to clean them up yourself, then paint them.

Rob
Rob

Offline 68bee

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009 - 08:23:43 PM »
Eaton Detroit Spring makes replacement springs with the correct higher arch for the AAR/TA. The part number is ML1315 and the price is $429 a pair plus shipping. I checked around a few months ago and they were the only ones that could give me the rate and load numbers for the springs. I spoke with Mike, he was very helpful. You can check on there site at www.eatonsprings.com