Author Topic: one of those "Life's crossroads" moments  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
one of those "Life's crossroads" moments
« on: January 03, 2009 - 12:01:14 PM »
So,
I'm at something a crossroads.  I've been lurking around here a long time and a while back posted a pick of the 62 t-bird I'm working on.  Well, since then, I've met the woman of my dreams and have gotten engaged... and haven't had squat for time to work on the car.

The indecision comes from this:  I had intended to use the t-bird as a learning project - I'm really not a thunderbird enthusiast.  I had always intended to finish it, sell it cheap and work on the '70 cuda I bought a few years ago.  Now I'm thinking that I really don't want to take the time to finish the t-bird before I start working on the cuda. 

On top of all that, the cuda I have is a pretty big project, needs some framerail work, new quarters - the stuff you'd expect to find in a car from MN.  I also have a '72 that is strictly a parts car. 

The idea I'm batting around now is selling the two cudas I have, adding some cash and getting something that's less of a project.  I think the 70 is a pretty decent project and the 72 provides some pretty decent parts.  Both cars have the right year hood, etc. 

I'm not trying to write a for sale right now, so I'll stop ;)  I'm tempted to part the cars out myself, but at this point, I'd rather spend my now-limited time working on the car I want.  Plus, being a relatively inexperienced car person, I'm not sure what to ask for specific parts etc.

I posted some pics of the 70 a year or so ago and was told it's a long term project, but not a lost cause.

does this seem like a good idea?  I'm really torn on what to do.  I'd hate to sell a project and end up with nothing, but I really think I need a project that's not going to demand quite as much of my time (sigh, women! :) ) .

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: one of those "Life's crossroads" moments
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:07:45 PM »
I know what you mean.  I am finally getting to do my car.  This time I found the right women to let me get it done and spend my money the way I want to.  If you do decide to part with either the 70 or 72 let me know I might be interested.  Or interested in parts for me 70 barracuda.  Dont know what to tell you which way to go.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:23:41 PM »
Sorry I couldn't help but chuckle while reading this.  If you think you don't have any time now with the new fiance',  wait until you have kids.  I find that spare time is taking a shower or getting chores done around the house.   It's all good though and I wouldn't change a thing. 

Anyway I am considering doing the same thing.  I have a 73 cuda that's in the middle of a 4 speed swap and a 71 barracuda that needs a resto.  I'm also kicking around the idea of selling them for a nice driving near finished car.   The problem I have is that I've  had the 73 for so long I don't want to see it go,  but it does me no good to let it sit in the garage when I could have a nice cruiser.    If your car needs the frame rails done and quarters etc then maybe an easier projet will get you on the road faster.   Good luck and congrats. 

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:31:44 PM »
bad times to sell projects...  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:35:33 PM »

:iagree: 100% 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:36:30 PM »

yeah, that is a very good point.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:38:51 PM »
 :iagree:  to with that
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009 - 12:55:39 PM »
It might be a bad time to sell, but it's a good time to buy.

Sounds to me you know where to take this, just need some reinforcement. If you want to drive something sooner than later, I'd say sell everything, pool the $$ and see what you can pick up in a 72-74 Challenger or Barracuda.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:25:34 PM »
Imo you are alway better to pay more for a better car to start with than pay less & fix everything , it is always more expensive to build from scratch , that being said I agree that this is a bad time to sell as you will not get much But a good time to buy as everything is undervalued  right now
 Congrats on meeting the "right One" definatly not easy to find BTW
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 - 03:47:15 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:27:27 PM »
Ok.....I need the black 70 seat belts and the seat belt bolts off your car for the front seats. I also need the headlight bucket chrome trim around the passenger headlight,I also need a good tinted rear window off a 70, I would like to have a passenger tinted 70 door glass and a 70 tintedpassenger quarter glass. Plus the 3 speed wiper motor for a 70, and the harnesses under the hood.  

So there's a few parts request if your taking the car apart.    Oh, and a 70 antenna complete

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:30:50 PM »
Imo you are alway better to pay more for a better car to start with than pay less & fix everything , it is always more expensive to build from scratch , that being said I agree that this is a bad time to sell as you will not get much But a good time to buy as everything is undervalued  right now

:iagree: It's always better to spend someone else's money.  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009 - 01:49:33 PM »
Ok.....I need the black 70 seat belts and the seat belt bolts off your car for the front seats. I also need the headlight bucket chrome trim around the passenger headlight,I also need a good tinted rear window off a 70, I would like to have a passenger tinted 70 door glass and a 70 tintedpassenger quarter glass. Plus the 3 speed wiper motor for a 70, and the harnesses under the hood.  

So there's a few parts request if your taking the car apart.    Oh, and a 70 antenna complete

:roflsmiley:   Sounds like you got needs LOL!!!

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009 - 03:22:18 PM »

hehe let me see what I can do.  I know you're out of luck on the seat belts and the wiring harnesses.  The cars are out on my sisters farm, but some of the parts are in my basement.  I'm 99% sure i don't have the antenna either.

I have the back glass from both cars, but I don't think either is tinted.  I have to check on the other glass.  I can't remember which doors had glass - the guy I bought them from had a vandal do a number on his whole "collection" of project cars.

I'll PM you with some info, but it may take me a week or more.  Isn't waiting a *****?  :grinyes:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009 - 03:24:15 PM »

Isn't waiting a *****?           That's the name of the game when it comes to 70 only stuff or e body stuff. :2thumbs:

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009 - 03:31:42 PM »
That's a tough choice to make.  One way to look at is that you already have the cars, so you at least have a starting point.  tb3cuda nailed the time thing on the head though.  Family can suck up more time than any vacuum I've ever seen.  It's even worse if you want a happy family.   :)
{oo/===\oo}