Author Topic: Stupid hood question.....  (Read 2019 times)

Offline resq302

Stupid hood question.....
« on: January 04, 2009 - 05:17:32 PM »
Ok, my dad was thinking about putting a rallye hood on our chally vert as he liked it better than the flat hood.  Well, as it turns out, after we picked up a 70 hood that had the crumple zones in it on the bracing, there was some deep pitting and the body shop really didn't want to bother with it and suggested we get a new Goodmark one.  I suggested to dad that since the car is numbers matching and he wanted to put some easy bolt on stuff for a little more power (items such as factory 340 parts on his 318 car like intake, hp manifolds, dual snorkless air cleaner housing, etc) that he leave the factory  flat hood on the car as it is in excellent condition and really would not need to be painted then.  We got into a debate about whether or not the dual snorkless air cleaner housing would fit under a flat hood since thats why the rallye hoods were domed for clearance for the 340 parts.  I told him that I thought there were 340 cars that had flat hoods so thats where the debate began.  Can someone reassure me that it will fit with a flat hood?

Thanks,

Brian

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Stupid hood question.....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 - 05:24:28 PM »
I can tell you that I put a flat hood with the unsilenced mopar air cleaner on top of a holley that was on top of a weiand manifold and the hood shut ok. I dont what the height would be comparing a stock cast iron intake vs. the weiand but I would think they would be close to the same height. It was definitely a tight fit though. Seems like pitting should not be a deal breaker on the magnum hood  though. You have a picky body shop unless it has rust-through.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline resq302

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 - 08:06:01 AM »
I think the problem is that they don't want to be bothered with taking the time to do it the correct way and they are claiming that it would be cheaper to buy a repro hood than what it would cost to repair and repaint the original one we got.  Another factor they said was that since the car has white paint, they can't guarantee that rust staining might appear on the white paint or show through eventually.  I just think it is laziness on their part. :hyper:

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 - 09:24:50 AM »
Brian, take it to another shop,sounds like theese clowns shouldn't be in body shop business,

rust stains might appear on white paint? :roflsmiley:

seriously, get another opinion
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009 - 10:55:58 AM »
How wide-spread was the pitting?  If it was all over the hood, then I'd have to agree - repairing it would be extremely costly, and might not even be possible - if you have to replace a large percentage of the metal, keeping it to the original contours becomes very, very difficult.  If it's just one area, then just patch it or fill it with some weld, give it a thin-coat of filler and be done with it.

And remember - there's a difference between a body shop and a restoration shop.  Body shops are all about "quantity over quality."

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline resq302

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:20:18 PM »
So is the general consensus that the 340 parts would fit under a flat style hood?

sleepychallenger

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:45:29 PM »
should, or you could do like i did and save the flat hood somewhere safe and start collecting other hoods.  :bigsmile: i have 4 now

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:49:15 PM »
should, or you could do like i did and save the flat hood somewhere safe and start collecting other hoods.  :bigsmile: i have 4 now

lol, I collect so many,I start throwing them away
Stefan B

sleepychallenger

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:50:15 PM »
lol, I collect so many,I start throwing them away
good to know im not the only one with them. if i had cuda hoods, i know a couple folks that need those.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:53:39 PM »
I will be selling the hood off of my purple car and putting the stock one back on

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009 - 12:04:59 AM »
good to know im not the only one with them. if i had cuda hoods, i know a couple folks that need those.

you can add me to that couple of folks,I may need one for my 71 ,I'll find out after blasting

BTW,I never said I throw away E body hoods , usually it's the everyday late model stuff :bigsmile:

Al, what style is your hood?
Stefan B

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009 - 12:05:59 AM »
sport hood    rasin 2 scoops :bigsmile:

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009 - 02:32:49 AM »
 :faint:  I read the thread title and thought to myself:  Boy oh boy,"what did I do now?"   :smilielol: 

Sorry that I can't answer your clearance question, my hood is a '73.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009 - 04:03:11 AM »
I'm not sure on this but I thought I've seen some '70 Challengers with a 340 and a flat hood, could be wrong.  :dunno:  I think in '72 if you got a 340 you automatically got the Rally hood.  Not sure if that was purely for looks or for clearance.

If bb71challenger had a Weiand manifold, I would guess that it would not be shorter than a factory 340 intake.  I would be careful how tall the stud for the air filter set up is though so it doesn't dimple the hood.  You could use a piece of cardboard on top of the asembly and close the hoos and see if there is any crushing/dimpling of the cardboard.   :thinkerg:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline resq302

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009 - 05:37:38 AM »
I'm not sure on this but I thought I've seen some '70 Challengers with a 340 and a flat hood, could be wrong.  :dunno:  I think in '72 if you got a 340 you automatically got the Rally hood.  Not sure if that was purely for looks or for clearance.

If bb71challenger had a Weiand manifold, I would guess that it would not be shorter than a factory 340 intake.  I would be careful how tall the stud for the air filter set up is though so it doesn't dimple the hood.  You could use a piece of cardboard on top of the asembly and close the hoos and see if there is any crushing/dimpling of the cardboard.   :thinkerg:

Now that is a hell of an idea!  Thanks.  I'll mention that to dad if we should do the swap.  Anyway, just found out from dad who talked to the body shop yesterday.  Wonderful MOPAR and Goodmark require that you prepay for the body parts and they failed to tell the parts manager that the hood is on backorder for an unknown time.  So now our chally is held up in the body shop and Goodmark/Mopar is refusing to refund the money since the order has been over a month and a half now with no status change.  And Mopar wonder why I'll never buy another vehicle from them.   :swear: :villagers: