Author Topic: Traction Bars  (Read 15843 times)

Tower Rat 95B

Traction Bars
« on: January 06, 2009 - 09:02:50 AM »

Anyone running traction bars?  I know Mopars don't need them on account of the pinion snubber, my Challenger has traction bars because they were already on when I bought the car in 1980 back then I remember almost every one was running traction bars just not so much on Mopars but they were out there too.   I am leaving the the bars on for now until I get the proper Dana 60 snubber, it will be neat to see the differance between the bars and the snubber.   What do you think are we better for the traction bars or does the snubber do the job just as well?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Traction Bars
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 - 11:19:21 AM »
I had traction bars on my Challenger during the '80s and they worked very well. You can tell the difference when just doing a burnout on a concrete street. When I nailed it and dumped the clutch, the rear tires would roar at a low pitch and the car would take off.  Now with just a snubber, the rear tires squeal at a higher pitch and spin faster.

I took the bars off because they looked '80s style like bellbottoms, and fot the extra ground clearance. THEY WORK!

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline BIRD67

• My myspace page
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 - 11:22:01 AM »
From what I have heard, MoPars had unequal leaf springs-shorter in the front of the axle and longer in the rear, so I think I think that traction Bars would only cause axle windup on a MoPar, but I know that some people use the rod-style Cal-tracs and had sucess, I think it only applies if you are only going to use the lakewood-style, so stay away from those..
R.I.P Quint Stires 8/9/60-10/29/08
www.myspace.com/thunderstruck225

Offline BeeOrange

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 - 01:12:21 PM »
When we bought the Challenger in October 2006 it was equipped with Lakewood traction bars; they had been installed on the car in the early seventies. I drove it one year with the bars installed. Last winter I pulled them off to replace the leaf springs and to clean up and paint the bars. I didn't get around to re-installing the bars yet; but I did notice an improvement in the ride this summer (although I am sure part of the improvement is the new springs & shocks :). The previous owner told me he lowered the E.T.'s at the strip after he installed the bars back in the day. I do plan to re-install the bars as I am after the vintage 70's look.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him and He will do it.

70 Super Bee 383 4-Speed FK 5
70 Cuda 440 Auto FC 7
68 Charger R/T 440 Auto SS 1

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 - 02:04:48 PM »
I'm looking into the Caltrac set up. I used them on other cars and have had great success.
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 - 02:10:31 PM »
My car had them.  I took them off when I removed the air shocks.  I do notice that my clearance is better over speed bumps, but other than that no difference.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 - 02:17:47 PM »
I didn't get around to re-installing the bars yet; but I did notice an improvement in the ride this summer (although I am sure part of the improvement is the new springs & shocks :).

The ride shouldn't be any different unless your rubber bumper is right up against the front of the leaf spring. There should be about a 1/2" gap at the bumper and the front u-bolt is only there to keep the bar from hitting the ground if you gas it in reverse.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 - 04:54:04 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 - 03:40:55 PM »
so I think I think that traction Bars would only cause axle windup on a MoPar,

I think you are a bit confused.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009 - 05:44:12 PM »
Thay basically both do the same thing-control axle windup.If set up right I bet both are pretty equal.You don`t want them against the spring at rest,like dogg said there should be 1/2 -1 " gap which can be adjusted for best results.I am putting a pair of traction bars on my road runner as I am going for a "Day Two" type resto-stock with some added vintage speed parts.
Edit: Thay should also hit right at the spring eye,not agianst the leaf itself.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009 - 05:50:34 PM »
Mopar Performance and Mopar Action both advise against using them on a Mopar.
Plus i think they are one of the ugliest and useless looking things you could add to a Mopar or car.
Just my thoughts.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009 - 06:02:56 PM »
Why do they advise against it?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:59:23 PM »
Here is one I could find on mopar actions site.
the other info is in my books.

ulf overby, klofta, Norway, 1968 dodge Dart GT 440

Do you know if I can use Competition Engineering's Slide-A-Link with superstock leaf springs? Is it a better choice than the pinion snubber? I race the car in the super street class. Mopar Action is the best magazine, with great tech and good stories.

Ulf, the pinion snubber is fine (w/ S/S springs) down to about mid-11s. If there's any wheel hop use quad shocks (Rancho, or Just Suspension's "Ground Pounder".) If your cars is quicker than that, I'd go with Calvert Racing's Cal-Tracs, which seem to have become the new standard for really quick street Mopars -- although I haven't personally tested them.

Rick

Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009 - 05:20:17 AM »
Mopar Performance and Mopar Action both advise against using them on a Mopar.
Plus i think they are one of the ugliest and useless looking things you could add to a Mopar or car.
Just my thoughts.

I too have read this in one of those magazines.  They said they were useless on a Mopar but could never get an answer as to why they were useless.  Tower Rat's suggestion about the factory pinion snubber seems to make sense.

As far as clearaance goes, yes they can ba a headache.  One time about 20 years ago I had to drive up paralell onto a short sidewalk (Don't ask why, I'm a Boston driver...  :roflsmiley: ) and the traction bar bent so that it was hitting the tire.  Good thing I had tools in the car so I could take off that traction bar in the street.  :bricks1:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:12:15 AM »
The main reason is that mopars have unequal length springs, that was how Chrysler reduced the spring wind up found on chevies. Then with the pinion snubber adjusted to the prober length you should have no problems.
I still think there ugly aswell. Extra weight to.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:31:12 AM »
Chrysler leaf springs have been stiffer and shorter in the front section with plenty of spring leaves for much of their 20th Century history. A much better design than the GM and Ford versions.

They are also not mounted parallel to each other. The fronts of each spring being closer together than at the rear.

All these factors help control both axle wind-up and wheel hop (the former contributing greatly to the latter).

Traction bars work just as well as a pinion subber because they are doing exactly the same thing by the same means. But bars need to be the correct length (as already stated) so that they push up on the spring eye. If they are short of this point they can bend the front of the spring. They also need to be adjustable. You need the bars snubber adjusted fairly tight at the track to limit the amount the axle rotates. But on the street you need lots of clearance.

Pinion snubbers are the same. They need to be within a 1/4" of the floor at the track or you may as well not have one. But on the street you need it well out of the way. The floor pan can get badly dented from the pinion snubber if it is not re-enforced at all.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited