Traction Bars

Author Topic: Traction Bars  (Read 15849 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Traction Bars
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:10:20 AM »
The main reason is that mopars have unequal length springs, that was how Chrysler reduced the spring wind up found on chevies. Then with the pinion snubber adjusted to the prober length you should have no problems.
I still think there ugly aswell. Extra weight to.

That still doesn`t explain why traction bars are no good but pinion snubbers are recommended as they do the same thing.The design of the springs helps but doesn`t elimiate axle wind up or the pinion snubber wouldn`t be needed either.  :dunno:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline BeeOrange

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:34:40 AM »
The ride shouldn't be any different unless your rubber bumper is right up against the front of the leaf spring. There should be about a 1/2" gap at the bumper and the front u-bolt is only there to keep the bar from hitting the ground if you gas it in reverse.

Rob

Interesting point on the spacing. I don't remember the spacing between the spring and rubber bumper when I removed the bars. I suspect the spacing was tight as the car was set-up for the track when we acquired it. I will keep the spacing in mind when I get around to re-installing them.

I have also heard over the years that the bars cause more harm than good. I do like the look of them on a vintage 70’s era modified car. I sandblasted mine and then painted them black instead of the factory yellow to tone down the look a bit. I was also able to score a couple of Lakewood Industries stickers at a car show over the summer to add to the look.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him and He will do it.

70 Super Bee 383 4-Speed FK 5
70 Cuda 440 Auto FC 7
68 Charger R/T 440 Auto SS 1

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009 - 11:55:36 AM »
I have the Ground Pounder set-up.  Virtually invisible and NO wheel hop.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009 - 11:57:38 AM »
Here is what Mopar Performance says about traction bars.
"Traction bars are not recommended. Traction bars should NOT be used with Super Stock springs.
In many cases, the use of traction bars results in bent axle housings or other equipment and may adversely affect the car's handling."
Page 316 of the Mopar performance Chassis book.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:13:59 PM »
Supr Stock springs are a lot stiffer than the factory ones which could be why.I am getting mixed responses to using a snubber with the SS springs as well over on Moparts.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=4922953&Searchpage=1&Main=4922023&Words=+torredcuda&topic=&Search=true#Post4922953
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:51:47 PM »
There quote didn't mean just SS springs.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:01:33 PM »
The problem with "slapper bars" is they hit the leaf spring in the wrong place. It's gonna bend up closer to the front eye. I wouldn't say they're totally worthless, but what ever traction gain you get from them is cancelled out with the weight you add. 1960's stuff.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:38:51 PM »
Ditto what Roppa said and I'll add this; Mopar springs are also wider which provides additional roll resistance as the body tries to twist the spring in its mount. At 2.5 wide this is a much stouter design than 2 inch Ford or Chevys.

They are also not mounted parallel to each other. The fronts of each spring being closer together than at the rear.

This is true of E bodies and F bodies only. Post 73 B bodies are actually splayed the opposite way being wider in front and narrower in the rear. Pre 73 Bs and As are all parallel.

Super Stock springs are a lot stiffer than the factory ones which could be why.I am getting mixed responses to using a snubber with the SS springs as well over on Moparts.

I'm not surprised. If you think about the action an SS spring imparts, it actually renders the snubber useless and the tuning is all done with spring clamps. SS springs work be creating body seperation from the suspension and forcing the tires into the ground by using the body weight as leverage. As this seperation occurs, you are also putting distance between the snubber and the floor.

The problem with "slapper bars" is they hit the leaf spring in the wrong place.

IMO, this is one of the biggest problems with slapper bars. Contact point is critical to their success as the wrong contact point can bend the main leaf. Since the vast majority of slapper bars are universal, most are never set up correctly. Additional drawbacks are; twice the weight of a snubber since there are two of them, and lowered ground clearance which can create havoc on a street car. Snag a speed bump or some other road irregularity and you may bend more than just leaf springs.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:42:32 PM »
I had slappers on my first car in HS, a '65 Belvedere. I drove off a shallow curb once and snapped the leaf in two. I think they're junk.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009 - 02:54:48 AM »
Well, I don't know all the engineering specifics of what traction bars claim to do or not do, but I have had mine on for over 35 years without a problem.  The photo below was shot while I was coming out of 1st gear....2nd photo I was deaccelerating.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 - 03:08:24 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009 - 04:14:52 AM »
Ditto what Roppa said and I'll add this; Mopar springs are also wider which provides additional roll resistance as the body tries to twist the spring in its mount. At 2.5 wide this is a much stouter design than 2 inch Ford or Chevys.

And fitted with poly bushes they usually only need a 3/4" anti-roll bar to control body roll very well indeed. :thumbsup:

This is true of E bodies and F bodies only. Post 73 B bodies are actually splayed the opposite way being wider in front and narrower in the rear. Pre 73 Bs and As are all parallel.

Didn't actually know that. :cheers:

Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

nivvy

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009 - 07:15:05 PM »
Caltracs work different than traction bars...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009 - 08:49:12 PM »
I will not use traction bars for 2 reasons Ugly & the bent housing issue
the traction bar stops the housing rotation at the ends near the brgs but the pinion is trying to climb up the ring gear so the axle Tubes are twisted , high torque engines with great traction can bend a housing or worse .
A few years ago I had a 440 $ spd Power Wagon with a 9 1/4 " diff , we were pulling a GTX on a trailer & climbing uphill most of the way home after racing all weekend & we were doing 70 mph with ease , on one hill I told my friend to get into the throttle as we were slowing down on the hill , he replied that he was just looking out for my truck & I told him I had built the truck tough & not to worry about it !! Well the drivetrain was tough for sure , I had lifted the truck & the leafs were over built , a few hills later we both heard a loud snap from the back of the truck , we pulled over & checked everything & found nothing wrong & drove the rest of the way  [100 miles ] home . When we got back we unloaded the car & trailer & while doing so I noticed some fluid under the truck & slide under to take a look , the axle tubes on both sides had split in a spiral out to the leaf springs from the ring gear climbing the pinion under load !! I replaced both the front & rear diff with Dana 60s a week later which required new 8 bolt wheels & tires  as well  :banghead:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009 - 03:21:30 PM »
But wouldn`t the opposite be true of a pinion snubber,the center is prevented from twisting up but the ends are not?
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009 - 07:00:57 PM »
But wouldn`t the opposite be true of a pinion snubber,the center is prevented from twisting up but the ends are not?

I say cal-tracks, traction bars, leaf springs all try to twist the housing. A pro stock car would never have a pinion snubber in place of it's four link bars.  The pinion snubber on mopars tried to keep the weak housings from twisting by beating up the weak floors. A properly tuned super stock spring setup, with it's short front segment and stiffer passenger side spring worked very well by planting the rear tires like traction bars did.
The chassis book says that the housing should be strenghtened.

My friend races a 340 Dart. His small block just twisted his 8-3/4 housing so badly that it has to be replaced. I think a Dana would be overkill and think he should just brace up another 8-3/4.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0