Author Topic: To tub or not to tub?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
To tub or not to tub?
« on: January 06, 2009 - 11:11:17 PM »
My car is a long way off from being done. I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I'm gonna set it up and I was trying to decide whether or not to put tubs in it.

What are the things I need to take into consideration before making a decision? I have to replace the trunk floor anyway, that's what made me think about putting in tubs.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: To tub or not to tub?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:18:32 PM »
It's unnecessary unless you plan to rear-half the car or move the leaf springs. Any tire that will fit outside the leafs will clear the stock wells. Might need to bend the inner fender lips though.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:21:59 PM »
it depends on what you plan on doing with the car,what suspension set up ,wheels & tires ,e.t.c.

EDIT:
I'm assuming you have a very healthy powerplant and thinking of using some wide rubber,otherwise it's pointless hacking which won't be easy to reverse
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009 - 11:46:09 PM by exvelocity »
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 - 11:24:05 PM »
 I wouldn't do it unless you are planning on back-halfing the car, but then you are looking at serious power and quarter mile times to need that kind of work. With a 3 inch spring relocation kit I believe you can squeeze a 315 series tire in the stock wheel well. I have seen 295 series tires crammed under there oftern, not sure if the springs need to be relocated for that.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 - 12:27:53 AM »
just relocate the springs inward & use what is there already , depends how big you want to go but tubbing is a big project by the time you move all the suspension 7 frame rails

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Travis72

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 - 12:42:19 AM »
Like others have said, it depends on what rear suspension you're going to run and how large a tire you actually want to run.  The stock rear suspension is the main limiting factor for tire clearance.  After that, think about the rear tire size you want first, because the stock wheelwell or a mini-tub might be enough to make it fit. 

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 - 04:39:13 AM »
You can fit a 11.5 inch wide tyre in there easily by simply using offset spring hangers. If you move the spring hangers inboard you can go much wider. All without tubs.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:54:49 PM »
Like others have said, it depends on what rear suspension you're going to run and how large a tire you actually want to run.  The stock rear suspension is the main limiting factor for tire clearance.  After that, think about the rear tire size you want first, because the stock wheelwell or a mini-tub might be enough to make it fit. 

Travis
72 Cuda

Like Travis said it depends on how large you want. Check out Travis' resto thread. Great pictures of the mini tub and the frame notch for tires up to 345s. I want to run 335s minimum so I'll have to consider this also. XV Motorsports gets 335s in the Challenger wheelwells by rolling the lip and of course they don't have leaf springs. If you do a 4-link type suspension this eliminates this the same as a spring relocation inward would do. Then you may be limited by the taper on the frame rails. Also verify the top travel of the tire verses the top of the wheel tub for clearance on full compression of the suspension. Challengers have a little more room from the fender lip to the frame rail vs. a Cuda. I'm at the same decision making point in my build. I need to mock up the 335 to determine if I'm comfortable with the clearance to the frame rail/fender lip and top of the well or if I'll be mini tubbing.
Wes

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009 - 12:34:05 PM »
See, that's why I love ya'll. I never even thought about half of this stuff.

I guess I will just get the spring relocation kits. I was just thinking about it since I have to replace the rear quarters and truck panel. I figured it would be an easier task since all that metal was out of the way. My car isn't going to be that serious though. I guess later on if I really get serious into racing it I might do it but the relocation kit definitely sounds better. Thanks for the info yall.
Kevin

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:13:28 PM »
You can fit a 11.5 inch wide tyre in there easily by simply using offset spring hangers. If you move the spring hangers inboard you can go much wider. All without tubs.

I just got a 13.5 " tire in there..  :scared: they look huge in there.... I prefer that look over a tubbed car...  :2cents:

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009 - 06:17:11 PM »
That's pretty wide stroker. You got any pics of the new mounts and the tires? I'd like to see it.

How much do these kits cost?
Kevin