Author Topic: 1970 challenger project  (Read 6093 times)

Offline superbyrd

1970 challenger project
« on: January 07, 2009 - 10:46:46 AM »
here we have a 1970 dodge challenger project. the car has spent it's whole life in KY and has been garage stored for the past 26 years. last licensed in june 1981. car is an original 318/3-spd manual challenger. it is manual steering, manual drum brake car. 8 3/4 with 3.55 open chunk. car is super solid, with very minimal rust. there are 3 pencil eraser sized holes in the drivers front floorboard just below the dimmer switch (lowest point) but floor is not weak around them. there is a golfball sized hole in the lowest point of the trunkfloor,right side behind the tail panel. there is a 3" diameter hole in lower right quarter,but no rust on trunk exstension behind it. there is small rust places in dutchman panel bellow the rear window from vinyl-top. and 2- 1" holes on top of each front inner fender apron from trapped dirt and debris over the years. no rust anywhere else in the car, underside of car,rails,pans,heatshields,extensions all look like the day ma mopar built it. car is complete minus engine and trans. has correct 70 R/T hood and grille in excellent shape.

car was originally BL1 sand beige with black vinyl top and black bucket seat/console interior. car still wears 90% of it's original paint. car was wrecked some time in the early 70's and right front fender was replaced. that is when the R/T hood was added to the car. hood was purchased new then, and has never had holes drilled for engine call-outs.

car and all components will need complete restoration.

seats are all there,rear seat is near mint, but both buckets will need re-done. dash pad is cracked. door panels are nice,interior panels are nice,not chalky. console is decent but has some cracks in plastic. all glass is intact except the windshield which was broken.

taillights are excellent,as are the side markers and headlight assemblys.

doors are straight and rust free,as is the trunk lid,hood,fenders,etc.

all chrome and stainless trim are present and in great shape. bumpers are straight but will need rechromed.

clutch pedal and related manual trans parts are there,Z-bar,frame bracket,pedal to fork rod,etc.

front and rear valance panels are in great shape and rust free.

car is mostly disassembled and on my rotisserie,but K-frame,suspension,and rearend/springs will be bolted back in for transport.

green wheels in pics do not go with the car,will have rollers on it.

not many clean,largely rust free 70 challengers left and getting harder to find in this condition. i had intentions of building an R/T 383 4-spd clone out of it,but i am a B-body plymouth fan myself,so, i think it's time for this car to go to a devout E-body fan.

mind you,car is not,and will not be cheap. do your research,look around,check the market,be armed with all the information before making ridiculous lowball offers or asking really silly questions.

will make a beautiful car when done,and if re-painted in the original color,a very rare,and seldom scene look. sure would stand out on a sea of plum crazy purple challengers.

car has clean,clear KY title. VIN tag and fender tag. whats left of build sheet is still on bottom of back seat.

have a date code correct 70 833 4-spd/iron bellhousing and shift rods available to buyer for extra money. not for sale seperately.
$7500. come and get it.
happy to answer any questions. just let me know.
e-mail superbyrd@roadrunner.com for pics and more info or call 270-860-2323
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 10:35:09 AM by superbyrd »

Offline mikerallye

Re: 1970 challenger project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:31:41 PM »
Where in ky is the car now. Thanks

Offline superbyrd

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:22:16 PM »
henderson,ky 42420. 10 miles south of evansville,indiana. thanks.

Offline superbyrd

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 - 07:02:41 AM »
if anyone is interested, make me an offer on this car,i have 2 others coming home,and i need it gone. would like to see it go to a good home. don't be shy, all i can say is no. thanks.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:33:33 PM »
I have seen this car for sale before I am sure.  Looks like a good project.  Just the wrong timing for me at this time.   
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline superbyrd

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 - 09:10:48 PM »
well, looks like no takers, i guess it's time to throw it in the building corner and stack junk on it. i would have thought a devout e-body fan would have wanted this super solid builder. oh well. it ain't eating anything.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009 - 09:38:23 PM »
I can get a 70 rt 4spd right now just offered with no rust minus 383 for 3500   times are tough right now on alot of people. if you said free, it would be gone :bigsmile:

Offline superbyrd

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009 - 10:44:31 PM »
well,before it would be free, or $3500, i will stand at my local shredder and watch it scrapped right in front of me, and laugh all the way home. might even take the small pile of shavings home just for the hell of it. i have had so many tire kickers, wishers, and day dreamers on this car, i am almost to that point as it is.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009 - 11:45:03 PM »
well,before it would be free, or $3500, i will stand at my local shredder and watch it scrapped right in front of me, and laugh all the way home. might even take the small pile of shavings home just for the hell of it. i have had so many tire kickers, wishers, and day dreamers on this car, i am almost to that point as it is.

I dont get posts like this?  A 318 rust free Challenger disassembled may be worth your asking price to the right person.  Car prices have fallen off the train.  They are nowhere near the price they were at two years ago.  Nobody is buying anything.  I paid very little more for a big block hi impact car back when prices were high, just to give you an idea. 

Dont get down, things will turn up.  Just be happy that you dont have to sell this thing, and that you have room for it.  The right buyer will come along.   :thumbsup:

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009 - 12:31:58 AM »
yep, maybe if you were trying to sell it about a year ago,now there are plenty projects with sheetmetal replaced and all rust fixed at less than half of your asking price and some are even nicely painted at around 10k ,

on the other hand, Al, spill the beans if you're not buying,lol
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009 - 12:36:17 AM »
Take a video of it going through the shredder. That would be cool. :2thumbs:   it will even make the rest even that much more rare.

Offline superbyrd

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009 - 12:55:38 AM »
oh, i wouldn't shred it. hell i love all mopars enough to not do some goofy crap like that. i guess it will sit. till someone comes along that wants it. i am not going to build it because,i am just more of a fan of 68-70 B-body plymouths myself. probably the best part about owning this car is i literally do not have a single dime in it. period. i mean nothing. so really,if it doesn't sell,it can rest in a long,long,long slumber. somebody will want it one of these days.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009 - 01:18:45 AM »
I can't blame anyone trying to make a buck, but 10k? on something you don't even have a dime in? you could've left that one out
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009 - 01:53:43 AM »
probably the best part about owning this car is i literally do not have a single dime in it. period. i mean nothing. so really,if it doesn't sell,it can rest in a long,long,long slumber. somebody will want it one of these days.

Curious, why the hardline on the price ? If it was free to you why not no reserve it on Ebay? That's a way to get true market value. You could do that and still offer it with a buy it now of 9k (offline). Either way you win. That is unless you have some reason to stick to your price. I know it's not mine/our business but since you mentioned the "don't have a single dime in it" I didn't think you would mind me asking. Just curious. Thanks

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009 - 01:54:25 AM »
oh, i wouldn't shred it. hell i love all mopars enough to not do some goofy crap like that. i guess it will sit. till someone comes along that wants it. i am not going to build it because,i am just more of a fan of 68-70 B-body plymouths myself. probably the best part about owning this car is i literally do not have a single dime in it. period. i mean nothing. so really,if it doesn't sell,it can rest in a long,long,long slumber. somebody will want it one of these days.

I was just jibbin ya.  Yer ok with me :2thumbs:   There isnt a true member here that would shred a ebody for any reason given.  For every seller, there is a buyer.