Author Topic: I almost Lost My Life today... SAFETY AWARENESS...THINK SAFETY!  (Read 11709 times)

Alaskan_TA

Re: I almost Lost My Life today... All I could Think of was my daughter...
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:38:02 PM »
Glad you made it, hopefully none of your injuries are too serious.

I almost lost a pal a few years ago, he was changing out a pumpkin in a 1972 Dodge van with an 8 3/4 rear. The van was parked on an incline and he had it up in the air on two small bottle jacks. It came down on him pinning his head, shoulders & arms to the ground under the axle just after I arrived. He blacked out becasue the weight of the van cut off the circulation to his brain. He was sore for a while, but no serious injuries.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:41:46 PM »
Holy Sh!t Stroker! You are most definitely a lucky man. I'm glad you're still with us but you really need to stop taking pic.s and get your ass to the hospital. I'd say your brother was definitely looking out for ya. Take care of yourself ok.
Dave

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:10:25 PM »
Jason I am so glad you are still alive to talk about it, you don't know how close to him this hits! I lost my dad when I was in highschool from a car falling on him! Please let us know how you are when you can. :sadwavey:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:32:42 PM »
Stroker, glad your OK.
About the early 90's my dad had a old 50's Chevy pick truck that his dad had given him. It was just rotting away so he gave it to a a guy he knew who built a nice running street rod out of it. One day he was working on the tranny, had the truck on jackstands but they somehow gave way. It killed him instantly crushing his chest leaving behind his wife and kids. Very unfortunate. Everytime we think about the old truck my Grandfather had it ends in that bad memory. Short story is, glad your ok and we all need to be double safe on everything.

Wes

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:53:32 PM »
And this is why you hug your kids everyday. You never know whenit will be your last time. I am glad you didn't have your last time Jason.

Identify hazards, asses the hazard, make a risk based decision, impliment controls to reduce risk. Sorry, it's pounded in my head all the time at work.

I never feel completly safe with my ramps. Always use choks, always.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:01:12 PM »
OMG I'm glad to hear you got outta there. Close calls like that aren't what anyone needs. But yet a good reminder we are vulnerable everyday. Get checked out and hope you'll be OK soon.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:47:53 PM »
you home yet so we know how your doin?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009 - 10:02:30 PM »
Jason,  I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago.  I am glad you made it out of there.  I hope you get better soon.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009 - 10:13:38 PM »
WOW Jason,
Hope you have nothing more than bruises and skid marked underwear. And live long to tell the story!! I had a car fall off a jack & fortunately I was not under it!! I too use jack stands and keep the floor jack raised up as a backup!! You can never be too safe. Sorry about the car, but that can be fixed, unlike a lost life!! My prayers go out to you!! :angelwings: :angelwings: :angelwings:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009 - 10:16:27 PM »
Hey guys, I talked to Jason about an hour ago. He is hurting but ok. They have him on morphine. He was going to try to get online, but I don't think he will be awake long enough to.  I do know what happend and he can tell the story himself when he gets online....But he should be ok and heal up. He's just going to be sore for a bit.

Get well Jason :clapping:     You'll bounce back in no time

Offline common 27

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009 - 10:34:22 PM »
 Glad to hear he's going to be alright,would of missed his posts
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009 - 10:40:21 PM »
jason i hope your ok and not hurt too bad and thank you for the wake up call.as for the rest of us lets learn from this and not get overly confident when it comes to safety while working on our cars as well as around the house

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009 - 11:34:42 PM »
Glad you are ok Jason. Hope you heal up soon. I dont trust those damn jacks. I use plenty of jackstands and let the weight down on them and just use the jack as a backup. Man you dont know how many times I have been under my car wondering what it would be like to have the ramps collapse or a jackstand fail. Scary stuff indeed.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline cj

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009 - 12:13:04 AM »
Glad you're OK...the car can always be fixed.  A reminder to all of us of what's really important...everyone be careful so you can enjoy your family and your cars.
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

nivvy

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:16:24 AM »
Hey guys, I talked to Jason about an hour ago. He is hurting but ok. They have him on morphine. He was going to try to get online, but I don't think he will be awake long enough to.  I do know what happend and he can tell the story himself when he gets online....But he should be ok and heal up. He's just going to be sore for a bit.

Get well Jason :clapping:     You'll bounce back in no time

First of all let me say thanks to all that replied....One of the many reasons I LOVE this place... my original post was done by my friend while I was at the hospital..... Its 1:02am where I am at now and just woke up from the morphine...

Right now I can only use my right arm and barely my left now.. after talking to moparal while I was all doped up lol we determined I screwed up! I was totally oblivious to the fact I had no driveshaft in the car as I have a new one coming in about a weekish from DR. Diff and I was so excited I guess to be putting on my new front tires and wasnt thinking!!! I did have jackstands under the car and was raising the car a little higher to fit the 28" tires as opposed to the 26" MT's that were on there before and no the park brake was not engaged as its not hooked up right now... I guess that little extra few pumps on the floor jack was enough to pull the car off the rear car ramps and roll forward and crush me into the workbench! All I can say is thank god the car was at angle as I somehow managed to get out... That was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me and feel real fortunate right now to be alive... The car crushed me from the left side into the work bench and I felt myself blurring out and the pain was horrible...... It just happened so fast...

I am going to check all the damage on the car in a few days....

Stroker