I almost Lost My Life today... SAFETY AWARENESS...THINK SAFETY!

Author Topic: I almost Lost My Life today... SAFETY AWARENESS...THINK SAFETY!  (Read 11684 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: I almost Lost My Life today... SAFETY AWARENESS...THINK SAFETY!
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2009 - 01:23:43 AM »
I am glad yer ok.   2 spiders bit me 4 times while underneath my car a couple of months ago.  Within 10 minutes I could not move. I was knocked out for 18 hrs. 

If working alone, always have an escape plan. This applies to just about everything you do on any job.  Even when working on your car alone and it is up in the air, let someone know what you are doing. Be it wife, friend neighbor......    Sometimes I keep my motion security sensors by me when up under my car. An alarm goes off in the house if I need it to.

But believe it or not Jason. There was a lock out tag out plan formula you could of used. It applies to all jobs. In other words a safety check off list before starting the job.  An example would of been your jacking system. You had 1 jack in the center on the K frame holding up the front end and only needed about 2 more inches of rise to install your taller tire. You could have left all in place and used a 2nd jack on 1 lower control arm at a time and got the side to lift with ease and been off to the side of the car fender.

I often find myself useing 6 jack stands and 2 floor jacks on my car when having it up off all 4 corners. When I did drew's car, we used 4 stands and a floor jack with 2 stands extra by the front frame, but not supporting, just as a safety catch. But of course this is all hind sight for you now but a consideration for future projects. I am quite sure you have everyone who read this posting you made think about their own life and what they will do from the results of this.

I sure am glad you are ok, so now OS and I can whip yer little yellow cars but when we all get together one day. :horse:

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:27:03 PM »
 Wow ,scary , glad to see your ok stroker! Would hate to miss your posts! I know I'm a little late comming to the party but I agree with a saftey post and that this near miss will help people be safer.
 I havnt had a car come down on me but I was trapped under my 500lb snowmachine when it came down on me trapping my arm and shoulder. I had to lay there for three hours on the cold cement floor till the (ex)wife come home! Had a lot to think about that day! :nono: :banghead:
 Speedy recovery Jason and hope everone plays safe.
                                                                               Colin.
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

nivvy

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:30:37 PM »
Thx for all the support guys... Today I am about 90% and really just sore as heck now.... I aint working on the car till my Strange Moly driveshaft shows up....   :working:

Here are the new tires anyway. 27.7 tall and 8.5 total width / 6 inch rim...... they are kelly explorer plus tire  :picture:

Great deal on ebay right now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360120067340
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009 - 04:34:49 PM by StRoKer »

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:38:16 PM »
Ok now how about a full length side shot so we can see the stance?

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2009 - 06:21:51 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2009 - 12:58:04 AM »
See - if ya had a Chebby it would have given more and less injuries to you. Instead that tough ol' Dodge tried to take you out.

Seriously we are glad you can  :walkaway: from this terrible incident. I even check the stops on my mechanical 4 post hoist before getting under any time.

Speedy recovery. I am eager to meet you. You seem like good fun. This year.

:canada:
Barry (Salmon Arm)

nivvy

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2009 - 09:51:46 AM »
Ok now how about a full length side shot so we can see the stance?

Don

I will try.....  its sitting pretty low right now... probably wont be the final stance when its all said an done...

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2009 - 10:00:27 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38847

Jason please take $40.00 and go get some jackstands before you get under that car PLEASE  :bigsmile:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

nivvy

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2009 - 10:20:50 AM »
I have 4 now. will get 2 more.... the 2 that were under the car that day didnt help.... the forward force/weight of the car just pushed them right over.....  :hyper:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2009 - 09:33:30 AM »
 :22yikes: Holy, moly, StRoKer!!!  Sorry I haven't been checking out things much!!!!   I really hope your recovery is speedy!  Glad it wasn't more serious than it was!  Glad you're on the recovery!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, in times like these, the things that mean the most to you are the first things you think about.  You must really love your daughter.  :grinyes:  :thumbsup:

Hope you feel better bro!  :cooldancing:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2009 - 11:58:03 AM »
Glad your doing better and I have to agree with the rest of the post and hope you make us all think alittle more about what we do and how we are doing it!
REST UP.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2009 - 01:56:16 PM »
Don't know if has been mentioned yet, but wheel chocks go hand in hand with jack stands.

nivvy

« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2009 - 04:30:01 PM »
Don't know if has been mentioned yet, but wheel chocks go hand in hand with jack stands.

Yes I will be getting those..... thx

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2009 - 08:25:57 PM »
Holy crap! buddy glad your ok i never ever use those ramps or as i call them death ramps always use jack stands glad your alright

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"