Author Topic: What's it worth.....1970 Cuda 440 6 pack  (Read 12454 times)

Offline azguy

What's it worth.....1970 Cuda 440 6 pack
« on: January 07, 2009 - 07:34:53 PM »
Brand new here, I spend a lot of time on the Team Camaro site as I have a 1967 SS convertible and a 1969 Z28.  I friend just came across a 1970 Cuda with a 440, 6 pack, pistol grip 4 speed in Vitamin C with a white vinyl top and white interior. We decoded it as such with a factory shaker hood.

Car is all there but in many pieces, the guy stripped the whole car and it does not have one spot of bondo on it; were in Arizona and the car has been here its whole life.  The current owner bought it in 1979 and put it on jack stands with the idea of restoring it and now he is turning his attention to a 1970 Cuda convertible with a factory Hemi in it and needs the money and the room.

Like I said it almost a basket case but everything is there in the garage.  My friend will do all of the work no charge, aside from parts, etc, as he is trying to get a restoration shop off an running and this would be a showcase car for him in pics, websites and local car shows.

Any idea on value would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: What's it worth.....1970 Cuda 440 6 pack
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:37:55 PM »
This is a hard one, with no pics.  Value could be anywhere from $10k - $25k.  I would think the value would be about 25% of that of a completed car.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:40:31 PM »
I will have to say around 25-30k, but pictures would help out a lot.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline azguy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:44:54 PM »
That was quick; he was very secretive and I felt uneasy taking pics, but we are going to re-visit the car this weekend and really look at it hard and make sure it is all there.  They bring $100k at Barrett-Jackson, all done, and we plan to restore the entire car back to factory specs, including over-spray in all the right spots, etc...

I figure not paying labor on this project would make this real, real attractive.  I could keep it at the end of the project or sell it next year at BJ.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 - 07:50:34 PM »
That car has some very nice options that will help the value when it's finished. In addition to be a V-code car, the 4 speed color combo and shaker are a huge plus.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:01:43 PM »
Vitamin C with a white top?  :eek4: I wonder if that's a desirable combo. You can call it the Creamsickle Cuda.  :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:04:20 PM »
Oh boy......

Already with the "Barrett-Jackass" reference...ugh.

Seriously, we need some pictures for an accurate guesstimate. Is this the one that has been on fleebay a bunch of times?

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:24:15 PM »
To bring top dollar at BJ you need documentation.  Matching numbers (VIN, Door, Rad support, motor, trans, body), fender tag, broadcast sheet and so many little things.  The market is not looking good either.  I wouldn't hold my breath to get $100K+.  Some of the cars that do bring big dollar are restored by shops with a great reputation of doing things perfect with original parts.  Also, the parts for these cars are MUCH harder to come by and more expensive than others due to the limited number of them built and when companies produce new parts they have to cover all the costs with less customers to sell to.  I'm sure you'll do your best and that is probably better than me.  Good luck!

That was quick; he was very secretive and I felt uneasy taking pics, but we are going to re-visit the car this weekend and really look at it hard and make sure it is all there.  They bring $100k at Barrett-Jackson, all done, and we plan to restore the entire car back to factory specs, including over-spray in all the right spots, etc...

I figure not paying labor on this project would make this real, real attractive.  I could keep it at the end of the project or sell it next year at BJ.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:39:58 PM »
Vitamin C with a white top?  :eek4: I wonder if that's a desirable combo. You can call it the Creamsickle Cuda.  :lol:
I don't mind it, I wouldn't kick my friends hemi cuda shown here out of my garage for dripping oil, that's for sure! :drool:
This hemi cuda would look even better if it had come with a white interior like the V code project IMO.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 - 08:42:12 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:42:58 PM »
I agree with CODY, I would not even think about building a car to sell at auction. I have seen people get severely hammered with really low sales prices. It is almost disgusting to watch the guys practically beg people to bid higher on BJ. This was Carrol Shelby's personal car, its worth a million dollars,   ::)  It is only worth what the drunkest rich guy is going to bid lol.  The auction sales are way down from past years and it probably will not change for the better for a while yet.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:47:15 PM »
I don't mind it, I wouldn't kick my friends hemi cuda shown here out of my garage for dripping oil, that's for sure! :drool:
This hemi cuda would look even better if it had come with a white interior like the V code project IMO.

To each their own. It could be worse I guess. Like Vitamin C with a GREEN top.  :smilielol:Irregardless, those looking to make a killing at the auction with E-bodies missed the boat. You have a better shot at flipping real estate in Detroit right now.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:51:23 PM »

I agree, a white top and gut is super sano! I dont know if its an aquired taste but I love white interiors. While I do not prefer vinyl tops if they had a white top I dont mind that either. I am putting mine back Butterscotch/white/white so I better like that kind of combo lol.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:48:26 PM »
This is a hard one, with no pics.  Value could be anywhere from $10k - $25k.  I would think the value would be about 25% of that of a completed car.
:iagree:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:52:31 PM »
 :iagree: with cody and bb71.i believe this year there's gonna be a lot of dissapointed sellers at bj. but also some happy buyers.

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:54:52 PM »
To bring top dollar at BJ you need documentation.  Matching numbers (VIN, Door, Rad support, motor, trans, body), fender tag, broadcast sheet and so many little things.  The market is not looking good either.  I wouldn't hold my breath to get $100K+.  Some of the cars that do bring big dollar are restored by shops with a great reputation of doing things perfect with original parts.  Also, the parts for these cars are MUCH harder to come by and more expensive than others due to the limited number of them built and when companies produce new parts they have to cover all the costs with less customers to sell to. 

I completly agree with what Cody has said here and repeat what he said in that if you are not into Cuda's you will be shocked at how hard and expensive it is to find parts especially if you are used to the camaro world.  A good buddy of mine restores camaro's here in Arizona and we always trade stories about our cars and he is constantly amazed at all the crap I have to go thru to find parts that are not repoped and how expensive the parts  (repop and used) are compared to an equivalent camaro part.

Also, where are you located in Arizona?
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350