Author Topic: My AAR Cuda Project  (Read 12507 times)

Offline cwestra

My AAR Cuda Project
« on: January 07, 2009 - 08:10:36 PM »
Here's a few pictures of my project car, which I purchased about 5 years ago.  I have been steadily working on it and will post some recent pictures shortly.  It is a numbers-matching car with 74,000 miles.  It was farily rusty, as it spend its life in the midwest and driven in the winter by the previous owner.  The car has come along way since these pictures were taken, however, no completion date is set.  Like many projects this size it is dependent on available time and funds.  Thanks for looking.  More pictures to follow.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Re: My AAR Cuda Project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:23:12 PM »
Looks like a sweet project bro!

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:34:03 PM »
That will be an awesome project.
Wes

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:41:10 PM »
I love the old school pics!  :2thumbs: Did you start a thread in the Member's Restoration Projects?
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 - 08:43:18 PM »
great car,post some pics of the progress
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:00:03 PM »
Awesome!!!

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 - 09:56:52 PM »
AAR's are superb cars.  I am partial to the small block cars.  Is that the original color; are you going to keep it?  Keep us posted.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009 - 12:33:44 PM »
The pictures were taken when i first brought the car home (about 5 years ago).  Here is the story on how I came upon it for anyone interested.

I was working in my office one day when a kid from Shipping came to deliver a package to me.  I had a calendar on my wall that had muscle cars featured on it (different one each month).  Anyway that month featured an AAR Cuda, one of my favorite cars growing up.  The kid saw it and said "Hey, I have one of those".  Well, I knew my Mopars pretty good, having grown up with them all my life (I'm 47 now), so I thought I'd set him straight.  I said "you might have a Barracuda, but that is an AAR Cuda.  They only made about 2,700 of those".  He responded, saying "Yea, a double A, R Cuda".  So now he had my attension.  I asked more about it and found out it was his dads car and he had planned to give it to his son but was in need of money so may have to sell it.  I told him I was interested in seeing it and so we set up a meeting.

The car was in a single car detached garage at an old house in a small town.  When he opened the door, there sat the AAR.  It was totally complete down to the inflator for spare, unused space saver, 15" rallys (off to the side), everything.  Packed into the garage with stuff all around it and behind.  Barely enough room to get around it but I saw enough to know that I really, really wanted it.

I asked the guy what he wanted and he told me there was a guy in NY that was prepared to give him 10K, sight unseen.  Now that may seem like a good deal looking back now but remember, values back then were just starting their steep rise, so to me, it was way out of my budget range.  I did make him a low offer, but as I suspected, he respectfully declined.

I spend the next several months bumming about what I was sure would be my car.  It was a big dissapointment, to say the least.  Time went by and I soon forgot about it.

Then one day, a few years later, I received a phone call.  It was the guy.  He said "Hi this is Ray.  Do you remember me?"  I said " of course.  You are the guy with the AAR".  He said, yes, and that he did not sell it and came to the conclusion that he would not be able to restore it, remembered me and still had my phone number so he decided to see if I was still interested.

I told him I was but that I didn't have 10K for it.  He said "make me an offer".  I told him I would call him back.  Had to discuss with my wife.

Within a few minutes (and approval from the boss) I called him back and offered him $2,700.  He said "come and get it"

So now I actually own that car.  Still can't believe how it came together the way it did.  And fortunately, its value has increased significantly since I bought it which makes dumping money into it a bit easier.  I'll post some additional pictures of the tear-down showing the rusty mess it was in before sending current pictures.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009 - 01:54:20 PM by cwestra »

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:08:37 PM »
very cool story, gad you were able to post pics
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:24:22 PM »
Great thing DO come to those who wait, good story,awsome deal on AAR!
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline cwestra

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:04:22 PM »
CHUCKS71:  Glad I was able to figure out the picture attachment too.  Thanks for your help.

mcgheejt:  Yes it is an FK5 Deep Burnt Orange car.  I have kept the color.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:24:36 PM »
great story and an awesome project car  :cooldancing:  gotta love them aar`s  :drool:

btw... your name is very Dutch  :2thumbs:  typical from the northern province "Friesland"
*** Bart ***

Offline cwestra

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:33:02 PM »
dutch:  Very good.  My ancestors did originate from Friesland.  I found that out from a cousin a few years ago who visited there to research our family history.  I'm impressed.  Was that just an educated guess, or is that the only place Westra's originated from?  I suppose I should know that, huh?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009 - 02:50:20 PM by cwestra »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:40:38 PM »
well, It looks pretty intelligent huh.... :biggrin:
but fact is that Friesland is THE place to be for names ending with 'stra'     :bigshades:
*** Bart ***

Offline cwestra

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:52:04 PM »
Good to know.  Closest I came to visiting was Amsterdam about 5 years ago.  Had a blast.