Author Topic: 4 prong ballast resistor - Which wire goes where  (Read 2082 times)

Offline charlie challenger

• almost there
4 prong ballast resistor - Which wire goes where
« on: January 08, 2009 - 01:00:37 AM »
I've looked at a few different diagrams & I'm still confused which wires attach to the ballast resistor.

Offline charlie challenger

• almost there
Re: 4 prong ballast resistor - Which wire goes where
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:09:05 AM »
By the way, I'm working with an e-z wiring harness, so the colors of the wires will not match.  Right now I have the coil positive wire from the bulk head spliced, one going through the .5 ohm part of the resistor, the other going directly to the coil.  The 5 ohm part of the resistor I have hooked up to my Elec Ignition Control unit.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:09:54 AM »
If you have the conversion kit this is the right hookup. The 70's didn't come with it stock. I think 1972 was the first year.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 - 01:17:00 AM »
By the way, I'm working with an e-z wiring harness, so the colors of the wires will not match.  Right now I have the coil positive wire from the bulk head spliced, one going through the .5 ohm part of the resistor, the other going directly to the coil.  The 5 ohm part of the resistor I have hooked up to my Elec Ignition Control unit.
sounds right to me the coil would have less voltage drop & most ECUs do not use the other side of the ballast anyway

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 - 02:19:42 AM »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline 72 cuda

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009 - 07:46:18 AM »
If I remember correctly a 4 point ballast resistor works likes this: the top 2 generally throw more voltage during the cranking position and the lower 2 carry less during the run position. Chryco probably knows the voltage and resistance.
mark