Mopar doomed?

Author Topic: Mopar doomed?  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Mopar doomed?
« on: January 08, 2009 - 05:32:51 PM »
Since yesterday (Thursday) evening, I have seen several MSM reports as well as many, many internet reports that are all predicting the same thing.  They are unanimously predicting that Chrysler will not survive as a viable auto manufacturing company.  What do you folks think?   Is Mopar done?  What will it take to save it?  Opinions welcome.....     :bigshades:

If it goes under, how will this affect our cars and our Mopar hobby in general?
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: Mopar doomed?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009 - 05:38:15 PM »
It will definately affect my lifetime warranty on the Aspen.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009 - 05:58:22 PM »
Stick a fork in them.  Best case scenario is GM picks up some up the pieces.

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 - 06:02:17 PM »
Just like with the e-body... Just when they have an awesome car come out something puts them out!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 - 06:20:11 PM »
Hopefully they don't go down. That would suck!
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 - 06:41:36 PM »
I read their car sales were off 50% in December.  It doesn't look good.    :walkaway:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009 - 06:52:18 PM »
I hope the repro parts stay...... Id hate to see it all go, it would be like trying to find replacement parts for a Deawoo.....  :faint:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009 - 07:20:44 PM »
Maybe if they lower their prices , more people would BUY.
They have to get people back in the Caravan.....
If they bought the 5.7 Challenger and other's down to a reasonable figure I would buy one tomorrow..
 :2cents:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009 - 07:23:37 PM »
Maybe the Media will kill it , by predicting it will fail & losing customer confidence , , I f I could afford it I would order a spare Cummins & a new Chall just in case

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009 - 07:37:19 PM »
That is exactly what I heard from people higher up in Chrysler than dealer level
 they have lots of cash & Cercerbus was looking ot trade the manufacturing for the financial end

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:00:59 PM »
because Cerebus dosn't want to spend their money until they absolutly have to.

Offline supertuff

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ovQwr11oQ
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:16:50 PM »
  China will buy it 
 they want us dead economically speaking and realistically if possible.
no matter what it takes. this is to say, their version of war in the 21st century is being fought on an economic front. They win that war and we will destroy ourselves and they know it.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:20:54 PM »
I would say all of them are doomed, the bailout is only prolonging the death. The UAW needs to change in order for these companies to survive.

I hope they do not fail though, as I would loose my lifetime warranty on my new ram
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:23:13 PM »
I will say this:

I hope Chrysler will soon return to good times.  I would hate to see Chrysler, GM, or Ford fail simply because of the economic turmoil we are currently in which is responsible for the slump in sales.  (Let us not forget that the current economy is due to the collapse of the housing and financial industries not the automotive companies across the U.S.  

This collapse can be easily traced back to the lending policies that have been in place now for years - How?  Alan Greenspan himself admitted to the Senate that his policy was flawed and led up to the current economic situation we are in.  HOWEVER I DON'T SEE ANYONE WANTING TO HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE!!!  So do we allow major companies to falter because of him and his policies?

Let us not forget that BILLIONS of dollars were given to white collar executives to save various financial institutions MULTIPLE TIMES (think AIG).  Then we seen them on the news the next week out west flying in on private jets, pulling up at the RESORT in Limo's, playing golf, getting massages, celebrating with TAXPAYER dollars.  I DONT SEE ANYONE SAYING LET THEM FAIL or HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE.

How quickly we forget!!!!!  It was the Big 3 who helped America produce various war items needed to not only kick Germany's butt but also Japan's DURING WWII.  YET WE ARE WILLING TO THROW THEM TO THE CURB OR STICK A FORK IN THEM as some have stated below.  

To put the current economic situation into perspective, Toyota for the first time in 70 years posted a loss. (cut and paste from online news article).

"Executives at Toyota Motors, the Japanese automaker, announced today that the company would post its first loss in 70 years, proving that the American auto giants and the overall American economy are wrapped in a global crisis."

Also, to allow the collapse of any of the big 3 would have serious far reaching ramifications to suppliers across the U.S.  Regardless of how you feel about the bailout, that would only make things worse and longer lasting for the U.S. economy.  Something that none of us should want to happen as some of us could very easily find ourselves affected by it.  :clueless: :clueless:

FINALLY - FOR THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE TRANSPLANTS - ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION - HOW MANY OF THE TRANSPLANTS DONATED MONEY TO THE VICTIMS OF 911?  

Read on - I will provide you with the address of this article if you dont believe it.  This is a cut and paste from the website.  Remember,,,,,Chrysler was own by Daimler at the time.

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM`s contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington. The findings are as follows......

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER resonse team services and office space to displaced goverment employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv`s, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept. 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi- Nothing.

8. BMW- Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat- Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.

14. Nissan- Nothing.

15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website

I can only express hope that this infuriates and sickens each of you like it did me. Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. I ask that you choose a product made by an American-owned and based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States. It`s OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis.

Anyway,,,,,just my  :2cents:
Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009 - 08:26:29 PM »
I would say all of them are doomed, the bailout is only prolonging the death. The UAW needs to change in order for these companies to survive.

I hope they do not fail though, as I would loose my lifetime warranty on my new ram

Well that settles it!  :eek4:
If the lifetime warranties are doomed then I am buying an srt instead of the rt.  :burnout:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009 - 08:32:13 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...