Author Topic: Mopar doomed?  (Read 8150 times)

craigsmytcudas

Re: Mopar doomed?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:45:59 PM »
Its not that bad remember plymouth ,I cant think of a thing that mopar sells that would alter my driving habits cudas or my 06 hemi 1500. my crewcheifs got a 41 willys and that companys been gone 50+ years and his cars still movin on. besides we need the unions to fail first that would only happen after the big three chapter first ,legacy contracts are just killing business . A friend of mine ran the 9th largest corp in tx a few years back and his thoughts were that one out of three workers is on paid vacation or sick days ,if American workers could suck it up a little we all would be better off . thats one third of all man hours lost . he told me that we as a society think were special and deserve unearned perks .were else in this world can a guy drop 2k on a plastic grille or 100k on a car while the rest of this world cant . countless billions have seen our gluttonous life styles and want it ,and theres nothing to stop them .c

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:50:15 PM »
It is 30 years all over again.  Chrysler was in the same shape or worse then.  They made it back then and I am sure they can make it now. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009 - 09:55:56 PM »
It is 30 years all over again.  Chrysler was in the same shape or worse then.  They made it back then and I am sure they can make it now. 
I hope not ,at least not with the business models we use today .c

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:04:28 PM »
Unfortunately I think this thing goes much much deeper than our auto companies. I sure hope it turns around soon because we have many enemies that are watching like vultures.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009 - 10:11:51 PM »
Unfortunately I think this thing goes much much deeper than our auto companies. I sure hope it turns around soon because we have many enemies that are watching like vultures.    well said .c

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009 - 12:23:40 AM »

FINALLY - FOR THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE TRANSPLANTS - ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION - HOW MANY OF THE TRANSPLANTS DONATED MONEY TO THE VICTIMS OF 911?  

Read on - I will provide you with the address of this article if you dont believe it.  This is a cut and paste from the website.  Remember,,,,,Chrysler was own by Daimler at the time.

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM`s contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington. The findings are as follows......

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER resonse team services and office space to displaced goverment employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv`s, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept. 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi- Nothing.

8. BMW- Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat- Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.

14. Nissan- Nothing.

15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website

I can only express hope that this infuriates and sickens each of you like it did me. Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. I ask that you choose a product made by an American-owned and based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States. It`s OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis.

I hate to defend foreign automakers, I've always owned Mopars and Ferds other than a used Rabbit I had for a while in the early 90's, but please check your facts before you pass on chain letters that people forward you via email!!!!!!!!
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/automakers.asp
BTW Target isn't owned by the French either! :rofl:
Back on the topic, I think that the US auto industry is too big and important to the economy to let fail, but I fear that our new pinko administration will attach so many strings to their baleout packages that the automobiles coming out of the big three soon will have designs legislated to be ones none of us would ever want to drive, electric and hybrid powered mini cars made out of recycled diapers and sludge from the waste treatment plants or something along that line. :puke:
I hate thinking about the future because it doesn't look good........
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 - 12:25:21 AM by JH27N0B »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:15:28 AM »
Maybe the Media will kill it , by predicting it will fail & losing customer confidence/quote]

I think you hit it on the head there. Keep on repeating it and.... :pullinghair: The Media sure did a bang-up job helping to tank the economy with their endless predictions of doom to get rid of Republicans, so why not? I just pray to Lord Jesus that they all get flushed down the toilet too.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 - 01:22:50 AM by 71chally416 »
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:29:04 AM »
Seems everyone wants to blame someone else.  I agree the news is not what it used to be.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:33:53 AM »
Tell the truth, how many of the people here are convinced there is global warming? Probably most. Why is that? Cause it's been drilled in our heads by the Media for years. Guess what? The Earth is cooling. They lied. They're idiots. 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:39:57 AM »
I dont think there is global warming.  Just a time we are going through with the earth tilt and it happens throughout history of the earth.  Just like the o zone.  Things were said about that and were not true but they were believed.  Just remember that what is said on the news is one opinion and the same for the written word just someones opinion and that opinion can be one sided.  Too many people take everything they read as gospil and it is not always all of the truth.  Just my  :2cents:

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:43:28 AM »
The media told us a politician who is a product of the most corrupt city and state in the country was actually a knight in shining armor who is going to save our country from all that ails it, and has many believing he may well be the second coming of Christ.
And the majority of voters said  :thumbsup:
Now you're not going to suggest that the media misled us and we're all a bunch of stupid gullible sheep now, are you? :clueless:  :walkaway:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009 - 01:55:22 AM »
Al Franken is the new senator from Minn. AL FRANKEN. That's all anyone needs to know about the collective intelligence of our voters.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009 - 02:08:37 AM »
I am not going to ague with anyone on this.  I just want to know how this got political.  Does not seem right to me

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009 - 02:42:37 AM »
A discussion of the problems of the auto industry is going to be inherently political. :2cents:
I've heard some wise men say that government has no ability to solve problems, only to create them. The problem is that when times get tough, people would rather support politicians who promise the government will come in and solve all the problems rather than work hard themselves to make things better.  Then as time goes on we end up experiencing the law of unintended consequences.
Some people were irresponsible with their finances, and made inadequate income to afford a house, politicians stepped in and said, hey, everyone should have a house, banks should lower their standards and lend to these people.  How nice, at least it was, until years later we find out maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.
Tech stocks rose until the bubble collapsed and we all cried as we watched billions in our wealth on paper disappear.  Government lowered interest rates to try to stimulate the economy and make everyone happy.  Then came 9-11 and the economy really appeared to be going downhill.  So the government lowered rates even more to help stimulate the economy instead of letting us experience a recession.  They kept these rates too low for too long and people took advantage of the low rates to buy big houses they really couldn't afford and run the prices up into a big housing bubble.
Which eventually burst as all bubbles do.
And now the world's economy is in the worst recession in decades after the house of cards fell down.
So I would argue the government and politics created this big problem by trying to solve a bunch of smaller problems when they should have let the markets and the people deal with the problems ourselves.
Which brings us back to the automakers.  Theoretically, I would believe the government should butt out and let the automakers solve their own problems.  Unfortunately, many of the automakers problems today were caused directly and indirectly by the government, so maybe it is the government's responsibility to help resolve the problems they created.  After all it wasn't the automakers fault that the financial institutions collapsed, making it difficult or impossible for people to get the credit they needed to buy new cars, or for the automakers to get lines of credit to keep their businesses running.
What a mess, I don't know the answer, and I fear that no one knows the answer.
However, that saying about the government not being able to solve problems only create them seems to be true, and it is apparent that we Americans have spoken that we demand our government solve all the problems. That means we most likely will just end up with worse problems.
As I said before, I hate thinking about the future, and for the automakers in particular, it doesn't look good right now.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009 - 03:20:44 AM »
I am not going to ague with anyone on this.  I just want to know how this got political.  Does not seem right to me

Well let's say we could turn back the clock and change just 3 decisions made in the 90's. First, let's NOT relax the qualifications for loans and let's NOT pressure banks to make them. Second, let's take out BinLaden when we have the chance. Third, let's sign that Anwar drilling bill on the President's desk.

How might things be different today?  :popcorn: