Author Topic: ASE Certification of members  (Read 6876 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: ASE Certification of members
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:05:10 PM »
Insert Quote
I was certified by NIASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence)

Same thing they dropped the NI off of it.  I was certified by NIASE in 1975 and was in the first group to be fully certified at that time.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:13:28 PM »
Insert Quote
I was certified by NIASE (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence)

Same thing they dropped the NI off of it.  I was certified by NIASE in 1975 and was in the first group to be fully certified at that time.

I thought that was what happened, but didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth and look like an a$$ trying to claim something I wasn't! Thanks for confirming that! :2thumbs:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:15:05 PM »
No cerification like this for recyclers, but I have seen the sign in a local NAPA and Advance. Hmmmm....  :eek7:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009 - 01:52:50 PM »
They do have ASE certs for parts guys, as they do most all other areas of automotive service and repair.

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:38:07 PM »
what's bad is even with a certification most of the parts people still can't read the catalogs when the puters are down or it's not on the puter.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009 - 06:59:31 PM »
I have been ASE-certified since 1988, and Master-certified in auto repair since 1989. Although there are many that don't take certification seriously, I am not one of them. I earned my credentials, and proudly display them. As with many other documents of this nature (including diplomas), they are what you make of them.

Offline rallye5.7

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009 - 09:19:44 PM »
I have 3 ASE certifications with no formal training or hands on work experience. Our apprentice program works much better for both classroom and realworld hands on experience.

ASE= Ask Someone Else

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009 - 09:56:26 PM »
I have 3 ASE certifications with no formal training or hands on work experience. Our apprentice program works much better for both classroom and realworld hands on experience.

ASE= Ask Someone Else
Now thats funny. I retired from the rat race a few years back , every ase or wy tec guy that worked for me fit the bill . I spent a small fortune on rubber gloves and hand softeners . c :roflsmiley:

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009 - 09:18:53 PM »
Sounds like you had technicians, not mechanics. There is a difference. The technician says, "I need the special tool!" The mechanic says, "I can get that installed." The technician says, "this part doesn't fit!" The mechanic says, "why doesn't this part fit?" Mechanics think through a problem, and technicians only understand the trouble-tree in the manual.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009 - 10:48:59 PM »
Do mechanics diagnose MOST bus, Byteflite and Flex-Ray systems?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009 - 10:50:42 PM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline gkring

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009 - 11:48:36 PM »
Do mechanics diagnose MOST bus, Byteflite and Flex-Ray systems?

As those master technicians get those years of experience they are going to find out BMW, Toyota, GM, Nissan, etc are not going to pay you to diagnose anything. You get paid to replace parts. You can spend half a day tracing wires and testing circuits to find out why a car won't idle, or you can spend thirty minutes with dealership parts and throw a IAC valve and an ECM at it and see which one fixes it and give back the one that didn't. Either way you still get paid that 1 hour labor it pays for the actual part you replaced. Some people call this laziness or lack of ability, others call it earning a living. Either way the car gets fixed. Whether you call them mechanics or technicians is irrelevant. If your job pays better with more ASEs, then get them. We pay our guys at the dealership based on years of experience and their ASE certs. Being a good technician or good mechanic means you should be able to pass the tests. For all around repair ability I would pick a guy working at an independent shop repairing all makes over a dealership technician working on the same cars day in and day out. The independent has to know how to diagnose and repair without the benefit of a fully stocked parts department or even the ability to "borrow" parts to test before buying. I am requiring my parts counter guys to get their parts ASE. The first go round they all failed and they are by far the best counter guys I have ever worked with and we have the best sales numbers and survey scores from customer and technicians throughout our 9 dealerships. It is the same theory as college degrees. helps to get you in the door, and hopefully you gained some experience doing it.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009 - 11:53:00 PM »
Our apprentice program works much better for both classroom and realworld hands on experience.

ASE= Ask Someone Else

Only If you can get signed up to the apprenticeship & if they are willing to help you get through the training

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009 - 12:59:18 AM »
As those master technicians get those years of experience they are going to find out BMW, Toyota, GM, Nissan, etc are not going to pay you to diagnose anything. You get paid to replace parts. You can spend half a day tracing wires and testing circuits to find out why a car won't idle, or you can spend thirty minutes with dealership parts and throw a IAC valve and an ECM at it and see which one fixes it and give back the one that didn't. Either way you still get paid that 1 hour labor it pays for the actual part you replaced.

Not quite in BMW land. You can't just throw a DME in a car and 'see if it works'. You have to encode the DME to the car, at that point 'you own it', or it is VIN specific. Can't just stick in back on, or grab it off the shelf. It's no secret you get paid to change the parts, it's the time you save yourself by being able to diagnose it quickly, and accurately. If you don't understand the systems, you can't do that. I can't speak for Toyota, GM, Nissan, etc, however the period of being able to throw electrical components in a car to "test" them is gone at BMW. Costs to BMW from faulty warranty claims and come-backs has caught up, making the tech/mechanic do it as best as possible. So you do have to know what you're doing. That is if it isn't a "common failure" and you "know" what it is.
 :cheers:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009 - 02:03:59 AM »
When as a tech for Ford we had to be certified by them and ASE then they paid us to diagnose the problems.  I am not sure of the others or even them now.  The way I looked at it was that mechanic's replaced parts or swapping parts and not trying to diagnose the problems.  Technicians diagnose problems with what is going on.  If you dont find the root problem you will not fix anything you just put a bandage on the problem so to speak.  If companies are not paying to diagnose then they are asking for poor customer satisfaction and combacks.  Just my thoughts on this. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009 - 04:40:58 AM »
   :aussie:  Here in Australia we have the apprenticeship system, when I did mine back in the 1960's I went to trade school 1 day a fortnight for the first year then the next 2 years I went to school for 10 days at a time 3 times a year. The total time was 4.5 years. I was given a piece of paper saying that I passed the standards tests, I have never been asked to produce it at any interview, they always go on experience and now references.
  I also did extra courses at night in automotive machining, since then I have done several courses in EFI, advanced electronics & computors. I also worked on LPG ( propane ) vehicles converting and tuning.
  The new generation are being encouraged to get licences to do anything and the government are pushing for paper experience rather than practical experience.    :stirpot:

Dave