Author Topic: Education Level of Members  (Read 6314 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Education Level of Members
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:09:32 AM »
High school and 3 years of full time automotive classes at the JC in San Jose. Didn't finish the general ed stuff. Wish I would have, but after going full time for 5 years I was burnt out. Have taken some management classes and smog update courses since, but still haven't finished my AS. I feel pretty lucky that I worked 3 years in auto parts, 10 in shops wrenching and 10 more using that knowledge while transistioning into the computer/database management field. Sometimes I even get to travel for work which is kinda cool. Still wish I would have finished my education while I was younger, though I admit I have a completely different attitude when I take college courses now. And I usually do much better.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:21:11 AM »
I left school at 17 (in year 13 at the time) and did my training as a welder. Im qualified to weld structural steel in the MMAW, GMAW and FCAW in the downhand and vertical positions, as well as aluminium MIG. Have been unemployed since the end of november. I have had casual work as a carpetlayer, furniture mover, Automotive parts fitter, audio engineer (I worked in PA rental part time for a year before I left school), unlicenced electrician, car stereo installer and doing light steel fabrication work for local sound/lighting rental companies around the area. I miss heavy fabrication though.

I have been thinking of geting into restoration/automotive parts. Making repair sleeves, brackets, hinges etc and selling them online for a little extra money.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:30:11 AM »
After high school, tried Mechanical Engineering for a year, it wasn't for me.  :(

Went to ITT Tech for "Automotive Technology" certification, graduated top of my class.   

Tried ASE certification, was told electrical was the hardest, so I only tried that one and passed.   :D

Returned to school at University of Massachusetts, graduated as President of my class,

BS Nursing with Pre-Med as a minor.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:43:20 AM »
My Dad was a ferrier all my life and finally quit due to a bad back. He is and has been a truck driver as well. He did the horse shoeing on the side and had quite a few loyal customers and did some aluminum race horse shoes for a while (BIG $$$).

All that was good enough for consistent 100K plus wages. After seeing the shape he's in I wouldn't have done either at the price his back has paid.

I would like to get into the ferrier trade as it is something I always loved helping him with as a kid and watching him. Not for a job but as a legacy thing. It's an art. I remember going to the Grand Canyon when I was eight, Dad asked if he could give it a try on one of the mules they use in the canyon. It was probably the hardest feat I have ever see anyone do. Those mules were BAD ASSSES!
He has alot of knowledge about horses and horseshoeing I want to gleen from.

sounds familiar... my back is toast as well... I stopped shoeing horses years ago and went on into ornamental ironwork and damascus steel knifemaking. These days I build quads,trikes and sidecars for motorcycles.
*** Bart ***

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009 - 09:41:50 AM »
B.L.A. from UMass-Lowell  While playing baseball, got done in 5yrs.  Changed Majors 3 times.lol  Concentrations in Legal Studies and Psychology.  Left there started working for my old man in the construction field.  Did a bit of everything(framing, hanging rock, insulation, flooring, finish carpentry, electrical, siding, roofing, painting, etc) for 2yrs.  Picked Electrical, since my dad is a Master Electrician.  He decided to fire me so I could get a proper education/training to prepare me.LOL  Worked for 8000 hours and went to school at night for 18 months 4 hrs a night(2 nights a week) to prepare for my Journeymans Exam.  Passed the test and gave my 2 week notice 1 week later.  Been Self-Employed since(7yrs).  Along the way I went back to Night School to prepare for my Masters License and passed that test a couple years ago.  Somewhere in that span I got married and had 3 kids, built 2 new houses, and owned a 3 family rental unit.LOL  Those things I would consider an education as well....

Tom :thumbsup:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009 - 10:10:32 AM »
High school and 4 years of college (all BTW with a 3. + average), however the college never assisted me $$$$$$$$ speaking, I couldn't sit in a box and be like some animal in a zoo. I had to get out and work with my hands, got on the job traing in an industrial machine shop and lived comfortably, also worked highway construstion running heavy equipment for a few years prior, now I'm retired and happy.  :bigsmile:  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline garrett007

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009 - 10:37:01 AM »
It only took me about 7 years to get my electric engineering deg.   But I was part time for about 4 of those.  I have had a few jobs before the current one, unloaded trucks, worked in department stores, mechanic, and have always help dad with farming.  Currently I work at Caterpillar testing D10 and D11 dozers.  Driving the largest dozers made, pushing dirt is almost too much fun to be called work.   :bigsmile:
'68 Charger
'70 Challenger RT/SE (non-running)
'70 Challenger Deputy (non-running)
'1979 Macho W150
'96 Avenger - Gone
'05 Town & Country
'06 Charger R/T

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009 - 01:55:37 PM »
Grad, from high school, went to tech school for commercial art. Finnished half  the degree, rather EAT! Went back later (at night) took numerous business classes. Was sent to a week long management school by a former employer. Have attended various seminars over the years. Some work related, some of personal intrest.

As of today I'm entering my 25th year in business. Niether myself of my brother (who also has his own business) have college degrees.  But are more secure and financially well off than my sister who has 2 college degrees. Although I've never told him, I give allot of credit to my dad!! He instilled a "get off your a$$ and do something" additude in us.   

I feel bad at times for friends who went into mega debt for school and they're jobs (fields) no longer exsist. I've got one who was in engineering for example......... forgetaboutit!   
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:23:14 PM »
 Grad from school in 85, just assumed I would be a mechanic but wasnt long into that I realized I didnt want to work on peoples broken down junk all day then work on my own :eek4: I soon found parts was fun and talked a shop into givivng me a job as an apprentice in 89, got my journeyman ticket in 92. Still pushing the parts both automotive and powersports. :2thumbs:
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2009 - 02:24:29 PM »
I never did finish to get my degree in Communications, mainly TV production.  I had one semester left and a 3.9 average.  I needed to work full time and had a hard time making the night classes work.  I said I was going to finish, but my life has changed so much.  I now have my own business and I wouldn't change working with animals for any other field.  If I ever did get to go back to school I would consider Veterinary for sure.  Woulda Shoulda Coulda...

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2009 - 05:36:34 PM »
This post make me feel like im at my 20th class reunion. :lol:   

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009 - 07:26:54 PM »
Hey Al,I just went to my 30th reunion. It was a blast, but why did airbody but me look so OLD??? :smilielol: :roflsmiley: :smilielol: I don't look old, I AM old!! But I drive a way cool car!! I went to the ACME School of Law and Sheetmetal Mechanics!! :smilielol: :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009 - 10:37:36 PM »
I had no idea what I wanted to do after high school. I partied and played way too much. Got a job in a muffler factory about 6 months after high school (1987) and got fired about 2 1/2 years later. Best thing that ever happened to me, I hated that job.

Went to the local tech school to see what was available, there was an 18 month wait for auto mechanics and autobody and I wanted to start RIGHT NOW. I asked them what they had coming open in the next month. "HVAC", "I'll take that!" Finished 18 months of that with 3.96 GPA, damn computer proff!! Only B. So Associates in HVAC.

Worked for a few years for local gas utility, got real tired of going out at 3 in the morning to fix stuff, went back to school to get my BS in Business. Next 5 years went pretty well, but to get ahead, everyone in front of me at the company has masters degrees, so I went back and got the MBA and finished in 2005.

I am in marketing and sales right now making decent money and having a bunch of fun. Sometimes you just have to let life make your decisions for you.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2009 - 12:36:40 AM »
Started working as a draftsman in 1978 while still in High School. Started community college in 1981 while working as mechanical designer. I continued to work in the Mechanical Engineer field while working on my BS in Mechanical Engineering degree part time. I finally finished in 1995 and thought about a Master's for about 5 minutes. I decided after going to school part time for 14 years I was done. I learned far more from on the job experience then from the schooling. I design custom machines, when I started everything was done on a drafting board, now its all 3D CAD, its amazing how the tools have changed. The best part, I still enjoy the job.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2009 - 12:46:59 AM »
Grade12, first year of auto mechanics, self taught carpenter, graduated fire academy, E<T and fire investigtor certification, degree business admin, diploma in public sector admin, managmentdevelopement and human rescource management.