Author Topic: Need a paint gun  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Need a paint gun
« on: January 09, 2009 - 09:55:43 PM »
Need your opinions on a paint gun. I did a little beginners  body and fender repair on my kids car, had to replace a door and paint it to match the car. I think i did a good job, however i knew as i was painting it that my gun was a peice of crap. When i shot my challenger this fall with epoxy primer, i swore i was going to get a better gun before i ever painted again. So anyhow i need some opinions on what i should look for. The local paint store tried to sell me a $500  Sata, which is beyond my price. I understand Sata is probably the best. Is there any thing else out there that is comparable. I have been watching ebay for used sata's, they seem resonable, but i am not sure what to buy. I want something i can use to shoot base/clear, as i will be painting the inside, engine bay and underside of my challenger this coming summer. :feedback:

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Re: Need a paint gun
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009 - 10:35:20 PM »
what is your budget? If you're looking to buy new gun and don't want to spend over $200,DeVilbiss Finishline guns will do, make sure it doesn't have a plastic air cap retainer ring,anything with 1.3-1.6 flid tip/air cap should be fine for base/clear
If you're looking at used guns,make sure it sprays right,some of the Ebay guns might be trash, you could drop a brand new gun on the floor and it will never spray right,rebuilding won't help either,also keep in mind, rebuilding kits and parts for high-end guns sometimes cost alot of $$, I had to rebuild my Walcom GEO FX gun last year and it cost me over $125 just for parts,I think it was almost $600 when I bought it ,but I love the way it breaks down the materials     
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009 - 11:02:33 PM »
I was going to recommend the Sata guns. My brother has one for color and one for clear. They are great guns. We use my Dad's cheap gun usually for primer.  Also what kind of compressor do you have?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 - 11:25:29 PM »
what kind of compressor? it's like asking what color is the air hose, LOL! Anyone that's doing sanding ,grinding knows that little compressor won't work,otherwise you'd be taking 5 minute breaks after spraying 1/2 of a panel,then you'd have overspray on dry surface and all sorts of issues,   hopefully he has a compressor that can put out over 10 CFM's
Stefan B

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009 - 11:31:11 PM »
That's why I asked. I can't tell you how many times when i was working at Sears (glad I don't work there any more, but that's not here nor there) and I had people come in who "knew" what they were doing when it came to cars and wanted to use a 20 gallon low cfm compressor to paint and then about had a heart attack when i showed them what they really needed. Some guns 10 cfm won't cut it. One of my brother's Sata guns requires 15 cfm to operate properly.

Also a tank that is large enough.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:02:59 AM »
I see what you mean, yeah, I just mentionned 10 cmf,so he could keep in mind he would need atleast that much ,I know even 12-13 cfm is usually not enough for somone who's doing this often,   
Stefan B

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009 - 07:06:39 AM »
I still use my old siphon feed JGA and it works just fine though I keep saying I need to upgrade to a better HVLP gun.My buddy has a shop and uses a Sata copy he bought off the Cornwell tool truck for cheap money and says it works great.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a big air compressor. It is probably overkill, but i wanted something that would meet all my needs, it is a 80 gal. with 18 scfm at 40psi and 21scfm at 90 psi. On the Devilbliss gun, how can i tell if it has a plastic clip, is their certain part #'s or models to look for? Looking in the Eastwood catalog it does not describe much beyond they are set up to do.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009 - 12:44:43 PM »
Just stop by any autobody shop supply store in your area ,most of them carry guns and it will be cheaper than taxed Eastwood,
take a look at this page,  http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-916-devilbiss-paint-guns.aspx

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-559-paint-guns.aspx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009 - 12:50:40 PM by exvelocity »
Stefan B

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009 - 01:44:15 PM »
I just checked with my brother and a friend of ours uses the Devilbiss finisline guns and loves them.

Correction my friend uses a Devilbiss GFG-670. Retail is $400, but can be found online for under $300

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/DeVilbiss/DeVilbiss%20DEVGFG670.htm
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009 - 08:16:55 PM by 72hemi »

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009 - 03:46:16 PM »
I got a Husky gravity spray gun kit from Home Depot a few years ago and used it to touch up some areas on my car, it worked just fine! like $100 for 2 guns.... a small and large size..  :swaying:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:21:34 PM »
My husband uses sata for paint and clear coat and uses iwata for primer gun.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:40:58 PM »
How do the Devilbiss StartingLine guns compare to the FinishLine series?

Thanks and don't mean to hijack the post.

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009 - 04:47:50 PM »
How do the Devilbiss StartingLine guns compare to the FinishLine series?

Thanks and don't mean to hijack the post.

Steve

Steve, they should be about the same,

I think DeVilbiss is getting carried away with names for theese guns,simple model number does just fine
Stefan B

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009 - 07:56:17 PM »
Great internet site. Had alot of reasonable priced paint guns. I have looked at other sites as well and have found that none of them post the prices for the sata guns. Prices must be whatever the customer is willing to pay, eh. :clueless:Is the most suitable nozzle size for base/clear a 1.3? i have heard some painters will even go smaller.