Author Topic: Lower Control Arm Disassembly Question...  (Read 2782 times)

Offline elevenssc

Lower Control Arm Disassembly Question...
« on: January 10, 2009 - 09:23:50 PM »
Boldly going where I have not been before... :o

I finished removing the rest of the drivers side suspension on my 1970 Barracuda today.  Hopefully, this is as far as the "disassemble" portion of this project gets.  I got the lower control arm and strut rod out...but how does the lower control arm come apart to replace the bushing?   :clueless:

I know the LCA mounting bolt gets pushed out of the inner sleeve of the bushing, but does the torsion bar hex and adjustment arm press on the bushing OD?  If so, do I need to pay attention to the arm/hex relationship to ensure no trouble adjusting the torsion bar upon reassembly?  Anything else I need to be careful about???

I want to take it all apart to blast and paint it before I put it back together.  Any help is appreciated

Offline sixpakchallenger

Re: Lower Control Arm Disassembly Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009 - 09:35:36 PM »
Right from the Factory Service Manual (71 Dodge)

Sorry for the picture, scanner is not hooked up.
2004 Ram 2500 4X4
2007 Mustang GT Convertible
1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 - 03:52:04 AM »
What kind of bushing are you installing if it is poly you just need to remove the pin from the bushing & remove the rubber & slide in the new bushing , if you are installing a factory rubber bushing then the steel sleeve needs to removed from both the pin & inside of of the LCA pivot & a new bushing pressed in

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 - 07:12:10 PM »
Do I need to pay attention to the adjustment arm / torsion bar hex relationship when pressing out the outer bushing sleeve to ensure all is correctly alligned upon reassembly?  Guess I'll find out when I take it apart...

Thanks everyone!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009 - 02:32:26 AM »
no . torsion bar lever floats in the arm & will not be affected by bushing alingment , it can only go in one way

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t