Author Topic: 2 Ash Tray questions  (Read 827 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
2 Ash Tray questions
« on: January 11, 2009 - 11:48:55 AM »
Hey all, I have a blue dash frame that I'm going to media blast and paint black.  This includes the glove compartment door and the ash tray.  There are two related questions I have.

1. Has anyone detached the face of the ash tray from the tray itself?  It looks like it is riveted on and a screw holds on the pull/handle.  Only the face is painted and I didn't want to paint the whole thing.

2. Anyone know of any way to take the lighter apart (not the receptacle, but the lighter).  I have the original lighter and another one that has a different handle.  The different one has never been used which is why I'd like to take both apart and put the original handle on the inerds from the never used one.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 2 Ash Tray questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 - 01:38:27 PM »
I have always maked off the inner steel ashtray when painting , never had the guts to drill out the rivit
 the lighter is a 2 part deal , unthread the outer shell

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline PlumCrazyRTSE

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 - 01:58:02 PM »
I took one apart that had previously been taken apart and put back together with the wrong rivets.  It's fairly simple to drill out the rivets but unless you have the correct ones to replace them with I would suggest that you do as Chryco suggests and just mask it off.
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FC7 Plum Crazy Purple
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FE5 Bright Red

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 - 09:46:54 PM »
I took one apart that had previously been taken apart and put back together with the wrong rivets.  It's fairly simple to drill out the rivets but unless you have the correct ones to replace them with I would suggest that you do as Chryco suggests and just mask it off.

:iagree:
They are easy to take apart, but the correct rivets are tough to set.  They can be obtained through some Corvette restoration places, but I forget what they are called.  If you don't have a show car, pop rivets will work.
** Shane **

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009 - 11:53:05 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'll just tape it off.