Author Topic: What would be the best way to convert to FI and the most economical way?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
I am thinking small block Fuel Injection.  What would be the best and most economical way to go on this?  If you have done it I would like to know about  it and how you did it.  Any help will be appreciated.  I am looking for details also like web sites or who makes them or what you used!!!!!    Thanks  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: What would be the best way to convert to FI and the most economical way?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 - 09:12:00 PM »
Buy an '09 Classic Challenger and the FI is included  :poopoke:   :smilielol:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009 - 09:32:43 PM »
I just might do that later.  Maybe when I go home in June or December.  Just want my barracuda to have it also!!!!!
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009 - 09:40:40 PM »
I have done it
 I suppose you could pirate a harness from a FI V8 in the wreckers & possibly the intake & injectors as well & mate up a computer to this
 I did a 440 last year & built my own system , used a Eddy intake already drilled for injectors & included rails , bought Bosch injectors , & a SDSEFI computer & a MSD fuel pressure reg & build my own fuel system , lines etc & used a pair of Walbro pumps , it runs extremely well & the customer is very pleased with it  but the price was not cheap
 The Advantage to the SDS system was no laptop needed to program , it comes with a handheld programmer & the SDS company is local so If I had problems I could drive the car to them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009 - 10:47:43 PM »
What would be the best and most economical way to go on this?  Thanks  Gordon

My 1st one was a complete Edelbrock Pro flo system. It's about $3000. Still on my RT for 5 years now. Limited by the prom that was setup for my vacuum at idle.  The 2nd generation Edelbrock system is tunable with a laptop.

My 2nd, running my test stand is a Megasquirt- system,  Very tunable but could take a while to program. Glen's Garage sell complete units, Price varies.

My 3rd and 4th are Holley Commander 950 kits. 1 I found on Craigslist for $500, 1 in the paper for $500.  Both complete and new. People buy them then can't install them.  Very programmable since you can put in your cam and duration specs. One came with a 4 bbl throttle body, the other one came with the wiring harness for Multi-port injection. At a swap meet, I found another TBI 4-bbl throttle body for $15. You just have to watch the ads and swap meets.

If you want to get a complete kit that self tunes, Year One carries a couple of systems now for around $2000. If you want a good system that self tunes at WOT (wide open throttle) get one with a wide-band oxygen sensor.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009 - 01:09:30 PM »
My 1st one was a complete Edelbrock Pro flo system. It's about $3000. Still on my RT for 5 years now. Limited by the prom that was setup for my vacuum at idle.  The 2nd generation Edelbrock system is tunable with a laptop.

My 2nd, running my test stand is a Megasquirt- system,  Very tunable but could take a while to program. Glen's Garage sell complete units, Price varies.

My 3rd and 4th are Holley Commander 950 kits. 1 I found on Craigslist for $500, 1 in the paper for $500.  Both complete and new. People buy them then can't install them.  Very programmable since you can put in your cam and duration specs. One came with a 4 bbl throttle body, the other one came with the wiring harness for Multi-port injection. At a swap meet, I found another TBI 4-bbl throttle body for $15. You just have to watch the ads and swap meets.

If you want to get a complete kit that self tunes, Year One carries a couple of systems now for around $2000. If you want a good system that self tunes at WOT (wide open throttle) get one with a wide-band oxygen sensor.

Rob

Thanks for your input.  I can not do swap meets for over a year yet and it is hard to surf the net from here as well.  I am in Iraq and internet is slow at best most of the time.  Some sites I can not get to at all.  Will try to see what year one has now also.  But would like to find a real deal on a system.  Programable sounds great.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009 - 08:14:02 AM »

Any one want to see what deals they can find me?

I would appreciate it so much.

When I got the car this was one of the things I wanted to do to it. 

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009 - 08:38:57 AM »
Thanks Wade,

I will call this evening about it.  To see if it will work or not for me.     :2thumbs:

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009 - 09:11:39 AM »
I would look into a complete system with a throttle body and fuel pump like the Edelbrock or Holley system to get up and running quickly. You'll be drivinf the next day.  With a Megasquirt, it's more for the do it yourselfer, to test and play with.  It was like the old Heathkit TVs.   You get to build your own color tv set, just because you wanted to build your own color TV set. Get it?

Expect to pay $2000 to $3000, unless you piece together a system like I did, but it is well worth the ease of driving.  I jump in my Challenger and drive it just like I drive all of my other newer cars.  Start it and go.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009 - 09:18:05 PM »
Hey Wade I called the guy the settup was for a chevy,  I will keep trying.  thanks for your effort though.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009 - 02:14:25 AM »
I think later on this year I will get the Edelbrock A Engine Fuel Injection Kit I like the multiport system the best.  I think this will be the best way for me to go.  Unless I can come up with something in the mean time that is as good and cheaper,    Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009 - 10:07:33 AM »
I think later on this year I will get the Edelbrock A Engine Fuel Injection Kit I like the multiport system the best.  I think this will be the best way for me to go.  Unless I can come up with something in the mean time that is as good and cheaper,    Gordon

I think you'll be happy with that one.  It should get you driving within a day or two depending on how quickly you want to install it.

It included everything to get it running including fuel line, distributor and Air-Gap type manifold. It is on my long distance driver Challenger.  The other 2 systems are more for experimenting with. 

Rob
Rob

Offline sixpakchallenger

2004 Ram 2500 4X4
2007 Mustang GT Convertible
1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009 - 10:56:49 AM »
thanks I wonder what it will go for?   Time zone difference makes it harder for me to watch this kind of thing.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon