Author Topic: body filler/ bondo question  (Read 1323 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
body filler/ bondo question
« on: May 22, 2004 - 12:13:59 PM »
On my 73 barracuda I just removed the vinyl top and it was pretty much rust free under there.  The only parts where there was any damage was right along the back edge of the vinyl top where the trim is attached.  In the spot there is some pitting because of surface rust, but no holes.  I don't think I want to put a vinyl top back on so I want to fill those pits with body filler.  My question is do I want to paint those spots with primer and then put in the body filler or is it better if the body filler goes on to bare metal?  Also what kind of body filler do you recommend?  Is this a situation to use bondo?   Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re:body filler/ bondo question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004 - 10:10:09 AM »
Matt,
I don't have your answers, but I do have a suggestion. Find a real good paint and body shop supply store in your area, the kind that sells to body shops. Talk with the counter guys about your situation and your goals for the project. Pick out a product line (like Dupont or PPG) and get contact information for that company's rep. Figure out which specific paint system you are going to use and talk about compatability issues with the rep. Then, shop around for someone to shoot the color on your car (assuming that you aren't doing it yourself) and ask him what he prefers. If all of the informaiton syncs up, you're good to go. I had a bad experience with incompatable fillers and primers that resulted in bleed through. Don't let that happen to you. Do a lot of homework.

Steve

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re:body filler/ bondo question
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004 - 04:16:35 PM »
MoparMatt383, I am not sure about choosing the correct primer.  However, I do know that even if you primered your car first and then filled in the pits, you will still need to rough the areas to be filled with some intermediate sand paper (I used 80-grit) to ensure proper adhesion.  For filler, I was recommended to use Evercoat's "Lite Weight" filler by a friend and it also happens to be the prime choice for my bodyman.  I believe both "Lite Weight" and "Rage" by Evercoat say something about how it isn't supposed to bleed through like some fillers will.  
If you're not in a hurry to do this, check back often to see what Reflections_7 recommends/uses because he knows his stuff when it comes to bodywork.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin