Author Topic: Which do you prefer small block or big block and why?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Which do you prefer small block or big block and why?
« on: January 15, 2009 - 01:09:19 PM »
Ok I want to hear why like small blocks or big blocks.

I have had both and I understand some why someone likes a big block.  I had a very good cuda with a 440/6 it was a numbers matching car and a very powerful car.

I prefer the sound of a good running small block better and I like the power I can get out of one.  I did this long before all of the mods that are made now.

Just my preference and wanted to see what everyone else says!

Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
Re: Which do you prefer small block or big block and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009 - 01:22:55 PM »
Small block, because of handling. Less weight in general is also nice for mileage and braking distance.
Sure, one might be of the opinion that a big block looks a lot better under the hood, but I'm quite happy with looking at my 340 when I open the hood. While the bigger cubes of a big block can be made to dish out more reliable HP than a small block, a small block can be encouraged to reliable power levels that's more than enough for me.
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009 - 01:23:10 PM »
I have a small block, but from a design point I like the big block much better. External oil pump, front mounted distributor, no coolant passages in the intake, simple water pump swapping and timing cover removal, simpler oil pan sealing surface etc.  The separate rear main seal cap seems like it would work better too.   :2cents:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009 - 01:33:22 PM »
I too have had both big blocks and small blocks. Both of my cudas had 440 6 packs in them, one auto and one 4 speed. Both of my Challengers are small block cars, again one auto and one 4 speed (although the 4 speed car needs a resto). For me I prefer the small block, less weight, better handling, better mileage, better braking, and behaves better on the freeway compared to the big block. The big block looks cool under the hood and like stated when comes to wrenching on it the big block is more accessible.

Given the choice I will almsot always take the small block over the big block.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009 - 01:36:51 PM »
Ultimately I would rather have a small block just for the weight offset. I think there are more options with the small block too as far as power adders are concerned since there is less space taken up in the engine compartment by the engine. If I was building a straight drag car, then big block. At some point I want to build a more serious engine, and might go small block....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009 - 02:02:12 PM »
I have a small block, but from a design point I like the big block much better. External oil pump, front mounted distributor, no coolant passages in the intake, simple water pump swapping and timing cover removal, simpler oil pan sealing surface etc.  The separate rear main seal cap seems like it would work better too.   :2cents:
I agree
 what ballfes me is the big block was designed first & has all the advantages including deep skirt block for more strength & cross bolt mains etc
 why did they not build a smaller version along the same design priciples for the small block . I do agree with the lighter weight of the small block for handling but I would stil choose to build an alum big block to reduce weight over the small block

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009 - 02:06:21 PM »
 :iagree:  An aluminum big block would be my dream engine.  :drool:   Maybe one day.........

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009 - 02:16:14 PM »
The deep shirt block is great on the Hemi with the cross-bolted mains but it does little but cause oil windage losses on the big blocks and limit the pan design you can use since the caps only have two bolts and the entire crank is inside the block. That being said, the big block is a very user friendly engine to work on. My biggest complaint with with them is the deficent head flow and the spark plug placement (ALA 1st Gen SBC) in the worse possible place. For a street motor I prefer a small block because of all the obvious reasons and it's easier to hook up with street tires. For a race motor either one is great with the right parts and heads.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline cwestra

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009 - 02:22:12 PM »
Depends on the car.  For B-bodies I gotta favor the cubes of a big block (440 or 426).  For E-bodies perhaps small block is a better fit.  The E-body I'm restoring now will be the first small block I have ever owned.  Everything previously has been big block (361 & 440). 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009 - 04:45:40 PM »

Which do I prefer, the left or right bosom of a hot chick.............BOTH. :thumbsup:
If I had to choose - BIG BLOCK. Aluminum Hemi. :grinyes:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009 - 04:52:10 PM »
My biggest complaint with with them is the deficent head flow and the spark plug placement (ALA 1st Gen SBC) in the worse possible place. motor .

amazing how much technology is in the small block heads..... flow wise....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009 - 04:56:28 PM »

Which do I prefer, the left or right bosom of a hot chick.............BOTH. :thumbsup:
If I had to choose - BIG BLOCK. Aluminum Hemi. :grinyes:
Guess that depends on which one you are facing
 :icon16:
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009 - 05:40:26 PM »
Biggin's.     :grinyes:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009 - 06:21:02 PM »
I like the same basics in cars & women.

Small blocks & a sure-grip rear.  :naughty:

If they both show up with a sixpak, even better.  :bigsmile:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009 - 06:45:33 PM »
Mines coming with a 440 so I plan on bolting all the aluminum I can hang on the front end. I wonder what a 440 with all the aluminum goodies weights compared to a cast iron small block?
"No substitute for cubic inches" as the old saying goes?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0