Author Topic: Well I'm back on high speed .... I think!  (Read 740 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Well I'm back on high speed .... I think!
« on: January 17, 2009 - 05:20:30 PM »
It took me over six weeks to get a few things worked out. Awhile back I posted that I finally had high speed but then....  :banghead:  It all started back in the summer when my old Dell 2650 laptop started having issues (still used dial -up). Paid to get it fixed, but it was never the same, and it wouldn't run with the anti-virus software at all. Let me sidebar by saying, at home all I use is a laptop 'cause I have 3 computers at the shop and its nice to kick back in the lazy boy, be on C-C and watch Barret-Jackson at the same time! Anyway, I thought get another Dell, cause the old one lasted 9 years!  :grinyes:  Fast forward to fall 08, I'm starting to watch the sales coming up and Best Buy has a unit I like on sale right after Thanksgiving. Now in the past I've bought from Dell directly (had good luck with my Dell's at the shop to) but I thought Best Buy would be easyer. (faster) So I go kick a few tires so to speak, but focus my intrest on one certain unit. Now I ask the sales person, if these new ones still have a dial-up modem 'cause the high speed wont be in for a few weeks. He tells me sure no propblem, an ol' BIGS never did check the unit for a phone line connection. I buy the unit and then find out they don't have it in stock!! Their computer says they are in stock but............  :banghead: So two weeks later I get the unit at a great price and I'm all happy!  :grinyes: ........................ till I try to go online with it..  :pullinghair: well no modem/phone line jack. Ok , I'll just lay it on the side for a few weeks and nurse the old one along. fastforward.. to the first weekend of Jan. 09. Get high speed and get the new unit online!  :swaying:  :jumping:  :crazy:  :cooldancing:  The very next day it does one of those automatic windows updates. The reboots itself............................................................................. BLUE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  OMG now what so, so Vista has this thing where the unit will try to repair itself.... yaaa, not this unit.  :crying: So back to best buy. I go over to Geek squad, turn on the unit - blue screens right away! Now they want to run their tests, and call me, so I wait, then try calling, this would probly work if somebody would answer the phone there.  :dunno: So I go back out there and corral the GEEK who I dealt withb the first time. Who tell's me they are still needing to run more tests. I tell him why not just replace it and we can get on with the day. Of course he's got to get his manager, whom I have to tell the entire story too from the beginning. At first he didn't seem to be real receptive to my replacement idea. The BIGS bull$h!t meter is pegging out at this point. He's also telling me they would replace the unit (after he tests it) with a comprable price point unit (vs a comprable specs unit).  :faint:  Not likely!! But he says nothing can be done till he runs his tests. After reminding him that it is obviously (junk) factory defective, and a few other gentle persuations that I wont mention here. He agrees to starting the testing and he will call me.  :hyper: Ok.... 3 days later he call me and agrees the unit is defective. And that he will replace it with one of the same if not better specs. He also agrees to do the updates that I paid for. Ok I think all good , I'm satisfied and my blood pressure is getting back to normal. Then he tells me one problem.............. the unit is NOT in stock.  :faint: SOB this is really a PITA!! So I wait, wait, wait 2 days after he is supposed to call me I call him, I actually get through this time. At first he didn't seem to know who I was,  :sly:  once the bells (in his head ) rang he told me things would be ready to go tomorrow. Which is today! So I'm on the maiden voyage and guess where I went first?? C-C of course!   

Wish me luck!  :bigsmile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline common 27

Re: Well I'm back on high speed .... I think!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 - 05:51:20 PM »
 This is my first computer and is a Dell,I also bought a printer,fax copy,scan at the same time-2004.The printer was used very little,in my opinion, and pucked out in September.After dealing with the idiots at Dell who can speak english but with an accent so bad I can't understand them I will NEVER buy from them again. Two different salesman both lied to me,one of which they confirmed and finally corrected after 2-3 hours on the phone with them and telling the same story to 20 different people before they could connect me to the "right" person.They are a pain in the butt to deal with. Surely some brand has better service ??   :2cents:   
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 - 10:28:30 PM »
I would revert to living in a cave and do without electronics if Best Buy was the only place left to buy electronics! I hate those people that much! About 4 years ago I told them I would never darken their doorway again because of crap like you have just experienced, and have kept my promise. I have found horror stores like mine all over the internet, and with the way the economy is I wonder why they are even still in business. Their track record for customer service is one of the worst!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009 - 11:07:35 PM »
It's usually just the morons working there.  :dunno: Let's face it, for $8.50 an hour you're not gonna get the best and brightest people. If you like buying on-line go to Tigerdirect.com. They have some great deals on every level of system you want.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 - 12:20:44 PM »
It's usually just the morons working there.  :dunno: Let's face it, for $8.50 an hour you're not gonna get the best and brightest people.

After being a supervisor for 20 years I know how to get past the morons who work there, and deal with managers. Believe me when I say I exhausted all avenues. Those people don't give a rat's a$$ once they get your money!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009 - 01:52:40 PM »
When I bought my Lenovo R60e almost 2 years ago, I walked in and told them I wanted upgraded memory, upgraded HDD, burn and play, etc. Wasn't in stock the unit I ordered. So they let me borrow one of their units till mine was ready. 2 weeks later, I came back, she had it all preloaded software ready to rock.

I wouldn't do it any other way even if it might have been a little extra, the CS was worth it. I like my computer like a new car; ready to jump in and drive off and nothing to try and figure out on delivery.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 - 08:46:40 PM »
After being a supervisor for 20 years I know how to get past the morons who work there, and deal with managers. Believe me when I say I exhausted all avenues. Those people don't give a rat's a$$ once they get your money!

One of my ACES in the hole was informing him the purchase was paid for on my American Express Card. For those of you who don't have one, Am Ex is VERY GOOD at swift resolution to bull$h!t stories. Which is exactly why I paid via this method in the first place!  :grinyes:  :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 - 03:14:24 PM »
One of my ACES in the hole was informing him the purchase was paid for on my American Express Card. For those of you who don't have one, Am Ex is VERY GOOD at swift resolution to bull$h!t stories. Which is exactly why I paid via this method in the first place!  :grinyes:  :2thumbs:
Good job Bigs! Way to keep the ball in your court! :2thumbs:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda