Author Topic: Front frame rail replacement  (Read 13507 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Front frame rail replacement
« on: January 18, 2009 - 07:28:02 PM »
OKay, I may be getting ambitious and start on my 70 Challenger in a couple of weeks. My question for those who have done how hard is it to replace a front frame rail? I will first have to straighten the existing frame rail and take lots of measurements to make sure the body is back in order.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009 - 07:33:54 PM by 72hemi »
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Re: Front frame rail replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009 - 07:38:08 PM »
Do you have the stock fame measurements from a factory source (manual) or an aftermarket source like Mitchells?
I guess the key here is to make sure you have the car on a level surface, then level on jack stands. Measure the frame not only for length and width, but also cross-ways and height from level ground. I'm sure if you are going to do this you already know how to properly remove welded parts at the stock seams, or, if butting, know how to weld in gussetts.

Good luck on the project and I'll look for the photo's!!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009 - 07:41:12 PM »
I have two Challengers I can use for reference. I have the factory service manuals, and various restoration guides. I will be replacing it at the factory seems and i will be using a MIG welder.

I have done several restotions of e bodies in the past but I have never replaced a frame rail, plenty of other sheetmetal replacement.

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009 - 07:44:28 PM »
How much body and frame expereince do you have. I don't want to get into a whole diatribe here if you know as much or more than I do already!
But initially, in seeing the photo's, you are going to either need a frame rack (jig), or tie-downs on the floor and a method of pulling that rail - both forward and sideways. The key is to repair that rail to near new (and to stock measures) BEFORE cutting it off and replacing it.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 - 07:46:57 PM »
that's what I figured I would do is pull the current rail back to the stock position to make the installation of the new one easier and actually work out. I do not have a rack at the house so I will be doing it the hard way.

I have restored with my dad more than a dozen cars including 4 e bodies and have done a ton of body work and more sheetmetal replacement than I care for, but never a structural piece, which is I guess where my nervousness comes in. I'm sure it will go fine, it usually does. It is just uncharted territory for me at this moment.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009 - 07:48:40 PM by 72hemi »

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009 - 07:59:15 PM »
Sorry I was posting a "reply" ahead of your posts!   :banghead:
I'm sure it will be fine - especially if you have the book and car measured to go on.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 - 08:08:39 PM »
The one thing I'm not going to do is fix the hood. One because wow that's an impact, and two because it will give more credit to the story of this car.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009 - 08:37:23 PM »
Replacing frame rails is time consuming due to all of the measurements needed, but not really difficult. On the other hand, if you make a mistake the results are pretty problematic. I've replaced rails on a few full frame cars, one that had a rail that was actually shortened about 6 inches. You need to take measurements and figure out first what is actually straight. Once you've figured out what's straight you can go from there. Uni-bodies are more difficult because you'll need to figure out if the body component is straight as well. I lay everything out on jackstands, then shim until everything (that you know is straight) is level. Then you can project lines down to the floor with plumbs etc. I agree with what's been said above, you'll need to straighten the body component of the frame first by pulling it. If its already straight you can remove the bent rail and work from there. Figuring out what's still straight is the most important, and time consuming, part of the whole operation.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:17:01 PM »
where are you located? I'd find a shop that wants to take on a job of quick pull to get the front end square and make sure the other rail is witin specs, then you can take it home and undo the spotwelds,fit the new rail in,make sure both rails are at same height and square with radiator support,fasten it with sheetmetal screws and clamps,hang all sheetmetal to see if everything ligns up, and all gaps are perfect,proceed with welding. Sounds like you should have no problems handling this task if you done plenty of sheetmetal replacement, it's not as hard as you think
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:21:24 PM »
There are a couple of shops in town (Redding California) that I can trust to do the work. I would just prefer to save the money if I could.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:30:20 PM »
you're a bit aways from me, I would've pulled it for you for free,you're welcome to bring it to Florida anytime, :grinyes:
Stefan B

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:33:31 PM »
pressed a wrong button before I finished what I wanted to say,if you end up doing it yourself,make sure you do everything on nice and level floor and the other rail is where it needs to be and firewall,floorboard is straightened before fitting the replacement rail
Stefan B

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:34:37 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but you're right, too far away. I think I will give a friend of mine a call who owns a shop in Redding and see if he has a frame rack. I don't know why I forgot he owned a shop, that was silly.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:35:02 PM »
Will do. Thanks.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009 - 10:37:49 PM »
oh, and  invest in a tram gauge,cause it's a must for doing this type of repair,it doesn't have to be anything fancy
Stefan B