Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson Results  (Read 5137 times)

Offline brianz426

Barrett-Jackson Results
« on: January 19, 2009 - 10:58:44 PM »
What did you guys think of the auction this year? Looks like the the economy in Scottsdale is just fine.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Barrett-Jackson Results
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:03:01 PM »
Overall I'd have to agree. I thought there were a few deals and a few way over the top. But overall bidding seemed pretty healthy.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:04:39 PM »
 :iagree: Some things were down, some things were up, but overall I think the president of Barrett Jackson is right when he says that cars are a better investment then stocks, plus you can't drive stocks.  :burnout:
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:18:27 PM »
Personally, I think there were many good values there and not heavily inflated prices. Craig Jackson also toned down his stupid remarks about way under the money as that is why we go to an auction, to get a deal. It alos reflected today's market of good money for a nice driver and those pebblebeach resto concourse cars are not high demand anymore, just nice old muscle I can't wait to go there in 5 years :)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:22:42 PM »
Why 5 years?? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:27:12 PM »
Prices weren't overinflated this year, some deals and some expensive. But having not been able to view that cars that were deals, it's not fair to say as they could have been POS's.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:28:39 PM »
it appears the economy is just fine , especialy with so many overpaid prices on most GM stuff,Mopars were bringing low prices IMO,atleast when I was trying to watch on and off between commercials,500k+ for satelite wannabe Superbird was rediculous, but it was for a good cause
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 - 11:30:27 PM »
The Shelby cars were up this year.  I think people are afraid that Carrol is going to pass away soon so the prices on Shelby anything was through the roof in my opinion. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009 - 12:07:27 AM »
i thought it was funny about the two fords with air plummed through the highbeams.the speed guys wondered if you could get that past the dmv.heck get the low/high on the same hole and it'll pass down here.they are not that picky about that stuff.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 - 12:09:36 AM »
i thought it was funny about the two fords with air plummed through the highbeams.the speed guys wondered if you could get that past the dmv.heck get the low/high on the same hole and it'll pass down here.they are not that picky about that stuff.

They were saying that because the low/high beam light was smaller in a 4 lamp system and states had not approved the smaller lamp to be a 2 lamp system.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:31:20 AM »
I always enjoy watching the auction.  Seams to me the best deals were on the wednesday and thursday. I thought that the number of mopars was down this year overall and that there were lots (to many) corvets and mustangs. :dunno: :burnout:

Offline matt63

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:14:10 AM »
I was surprised by a few of the sold prices when walking around the B-J grounds on Saturday.  There was a '69 Hemi Roadrunner that went for $63, a 440 6 pack '70 GTX for $41 and a nice modified '71 Twister Duster  with a 360 for $18.  These were nice cars.  If you add the 10% buyers fee they start to look less attractive.  Add the Cdn exchange, shipping, etc. and forget it but I wasn't shopping anyway.  :)  There were some private sale cars too.  One guy wanted $250k for a hemi cuda clone! Either way,  this is a hell of an event as far as entertainment goes.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:34:21 AM »
My observations of this year's auction were:

1)  The prices are down on the Mopars.  The 1970 440-6 Cuda that sold for $115K Saturday night was a $200K+ car 2-3 years ago.  Just like the housing market here in Phoenix, the prices on Mopars (especially at BJA) went up way too fast and we're having a serious market correction.

2)  The no-reserve has scared off most of the owners of the really rare cars.  There were no $5M cars this year.  No Shelby Super Snake, no Hemicuda convertibles, no one-off 1950's concept cars from the Big 3.  Those sellers are going to Russo & Steele or one of the other auctions now.

3)  The quality of the cars they are accepting now is down.  The orange AAR convertible fantasy car that sold Tuesday never would have been allowed into the auction two years ago.   Back then they had too many cars that were nicer.  Now they need to take cars like this to fill the field.

4)  The size of the crowd was down, and the number of high rollers was down.  The Arizona Cardinals hosting the NFC Championship game (who could've predicted that?) definitely hurt attendance Sunday.