Fiat Takes 35% Stake In Chrysler

Author Topic: Fiat Takes 35% Stake In Chrysler  (Read 1581 times)

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« on: January 20, 2009 - 09:40:17 AM »

ROME--Fiat and Chrysler said Tuesday they have signed a nonbinding agreement for a strategic alliance that would give the Italian auto empire a 35% stake in the troubled U.S. carmaker.

The two companies said in a joint statement they would share technologies and vehicle platforms. Under the proposed alliance, Fiat would not invest cash in Chrysler but would provide access to its successful small-car platforms, as well as to its more environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient engines.

The statement said Fiat would take an "initial" 35-percent stake, suggesting the deal may be broadened. It stressed that under the agreement the company is not committing to funding Chrysler in the future.

For Chrysler, based in Auburn Hills, Michigan, the deal would mean breaking out of the North American market and gaining access to more competitive products.

"A Chrysler-Fiat partnership is a great fit as it creates the potential for a powerful, new global competitor, offering Chrysler a number of strategic benefits, including access to products that complement our current portfolio (and) a distribution network outside North America," said Bob Nardelli, Chairman and CEO of Chrysler LLC.

Fiat Group SpA, which makes Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo vehicles, is trying to re-enter the United States market. The company has expressed interest in bringing its Fiat 500 compact car and the Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S.

The alliance is subject to a review of company finances and regulatory approvals, including by the U.S. Treasury Department, which last week announced an emergency bridge loan for Chrysler, which analysts say will have difficulty surviving as an independent company.

"This initiative represents a key milestone in the rapidly changing landscape of the automotive sector," said Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne.

"The agreement will offer both companies opportunities to gain access to most relevant automotive markets with innovative and environmentally friendly product offering, a field in which Fiat is a recognized world leader, while benefiting from additional cost synergies," he said.

Chrysler, which is 80.1% owned by Cerberus Capital Management LLP, has been hurt by its reliance upon slow-selling trucks and sport utility vehicles and analysts have said it may not survive the year as an independent company despite receiving the $4 billion government loan.

The Treasury Department said Friday it will provide a $1.5 billion loan to Chrysler's financing arm, Chrysler Financial, and the automaker plans to offer zero-percent financing on several models and expand lending to car buyers with less than ideal credit.

Nardelli said the partnership would provide a return for taxpayers on the loan, "securing long-term viability of Chrysler brands," boosting consumer confidence and "preserving American jobs."

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Fiat Takes 35% Stake In Chrysler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:20:18 AM »
You beat me to it. I just read an article on CNN.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:55:59 AM »

F ix

I t

A gain

T ony !

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:54:48 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if Fiat is going to use the relationship to start distributing cars in the US again?

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009 - 02:30:40 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if Fiat is going to use the relationship to start distributing cars in the US again?
Certainly opens the door to sell them under the CHrysler badge, just like Saturn sells the Opels.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 - 03:43:56 PM »

Would be interesting...

Didn't they have a stake in Ferrari in the 60's?  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline kissalien

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 - 06:07:16 PM »
Ferrari is part of the FIAT group.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009 - 06:16:55 PM »
"Fiat Group SpA, which makes Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo vehicles, is trying to re-enter the United States market. The company has expressed interest in bringing its Fiat 500 compact car and the Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S."
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009 - 06:21:16 PM »
"Fiat Group Automobiles designs, produces and sells cars world-wide under the Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat Professional (light commercial vehicles) and Abarth brands. Maserati and Ferrari, which manufacture luxury sports cars embodying exclusivity, innovative technology, and high-level performance, are also part of the Fiat Group."

How about a 6.1 Hemi Ferrari!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:44:40 PM »
Doesn't matter to me as long as Chrysler gets to stay around for a while longer so I can get a new challenger.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:20:05 PM »
A ferrari cuda .I like it .c :droolingbounce:

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:01:07 PM »
the odd part is that the dealers really still don't know. The message we got from Nardelli  only says that they did sign a non-binding agreement.

OPEN ST AKEHOL DER LETTER
Januar y 20, 2009
To All Chrysler Stakeholders:
In our continuing effort to build a profitable enterprise for the future, we are announcing today that
Cer ber us, Chr ysl er LLC and Fi at S. p. A. have ent er ed i nt o a non-bi ndi ng t er m sheet to establish a
global strategic alliance. Upon completion of a due diligence process that is now underway and
required approvals, the agreement is expected to be completed by April.
This represents a positive business strategy for Chrysler in today’s difficult economic environment.
Chrysler management believes the alliance provides significant strategic benefits that support our
vi abilit y and l ong-term competitiveness.
As a conditi on of t he U. S. gover nment l oan agr eement, all constit uent s will be asked to contribute to
Chrysler’s restructuring effort including: lenders, employees, the UAW, dealers, suppliers and
Chrysler Financial. We recognize that the financial crisis, which has brought hardship to Chrysler, has
created challenges for all of our dealers, suppliers and other constituents, and we are committed to
wor ki ng t oget her t o fi nd ways t o support our mut ual and sust ai ned l ong-term viability.
This alli ance would adhere to the conditions of the U.S. government loan, and help t he company
pr ovi de a r et ur n on i nvest ment f or t he Ameri can t axpayer by securi ng t he l ong-term viability of
Chr ysl er br ands i n t he mar ket pl ace. The alli ance woul d hel p sust ai n Chr ysl er’ s pr oduct development,
manuf act uri ng and sal es oper ati ons her e i n t he U. S., whi ch f urt her supports our viability plan and
preserves American jobs. Our partners at the UAW have announced their endorsement of the
proposed alliance.
Alli ance Conti nues Chr ysl er’ s Aggr essi ve Restr uct uri ng
Seeki ng part ner shi ps and alli ances has been a cor ner st one of our recent restructuring efforts.
Following the separation from Daimler in August 2007, Chrysler launched a comprehensive
restructuring to address declining market conditions and transform the business into an independent
Ameri can aut o company, ali gned with consumers’ emerging needs. Since 2007, Chrysler has:
 Reduced dealer inventory by 19 percent/more than 90 t housand unit s
 Di sconti nued f our vehi cl e model s
 Eli mi nat ed 1. 2 milli on unit s, or 30 per cent of pr evi ousl y i nst all ed capacit y
 Disposed of $700 milli on i n non-ear ni ng asset s
 Reduced total employment 36 percent, to its lowest level since 1934
 Reduced fi xed cost s by mor e t han $2. 4 billi on
As a result, Chrysler began 2008 running ahead of its targets six months into a conservative plan
bef or e t he unprecedented drop in vehicle sales caused by the financial crisis interrupted its business
transformation. As the economy declined in late 2008, Chrysler responded quickly and aggressively to
keep production and dealer inventory aligned with shrinking U.S. market demand, by making further
reductions in manufacturing schedules. The extensive restructuring, cost reduction, and productivity
enhancements support Chrysler’s competitive position in the continuing economic downturn.
The r estr uct uri ng Chr ysl er began in 2007 has already produced gains in new product quality and
reliability. Even in the toughest automotive market in more than two decades, we continue to improve
our value, safety, quality, warranty, fuel-economy and innovation for our customers. For the 2009
model year, over 88 percent of Chrysler’s vehicles achieved five stars for frontal crash tests, 86
percent achieved the highest rating for side impact protection and 73 percent of our product line up
off er s i mpr oved f uel economy compar ed t o l ast year’ s model s.
Using Design for Six Sigma, the Company focuses on the smallest details in order to delight
customers and is committed to flawless execution. A new Interior Design Studio is significantly raising
t he cr aft smanshi p and i mpr ovi ng t he mat eri als in all Chrysler interiors. The Company is also reducing
complexity and engineering changes to give customers better materials without increasing costs.
Refl ecti ng t he Company' s f ocus on desi gni ng and buil di ng i n qualit y fr om t he begi nni ng, Chr ysl er had
the industry's lowest number of recalls in 2008 as reported by NHTSA -- a total of 360,000, down from
2.2 million in 2007. In addition, internal warranty data show that Chrysler has achieved the lowest
warr ant y cl ai m r at e i n it s hi st or y, wit h a 30 per cent improvement in the last 12 months. Chrysler plans
to continue to set new records, month by month, during 2009.
Benefits of Chrysler / Fiat Alliance
Under the agreement, Chrysler will have access to all Fiat group vehicle platforms, wit h t he excepti on
of Ferrari, which would complement our current product portfolio with fuel-effi ci ent, envi r onment all yfriendly
small cars and powertrain technology. The alliance would greatly increase the global reach for
our Jeep®, Dodge and Chrysl er brands in markets outside of North America, and Fiat’s distribution
organization would provide Chrysler a strong partner to help build our brand’s presence in important
markets where we have little presence today.
Fi at woul d benefit fr om pr oduct and t echnol ogy shari ng as well, with access to our vehicle platforms
and our manufacturing capabilities in North America. In addition, Chrysler would assist Fiat to bring
their brands to the U.S. market.
Chrysler is committed to wor k t oget her wit h our owner s, l ender s, employees, dealers, suppli er s and
Chrysler Financial to implement our viability plan fully adhering to all conditions of our government
l oan. Today’s announcement is part of our continuing commitment to build a profitable enterprise for
the future, consistent with the viability plan we submitted to congress. The agreement announced
today is just the first step toward this prospective alliance, and we intend to keep all stakeholders
informed of key developments on an ongoing basis.
Bob Nardelli
Chair man and CEO, Chr ysl er LL C
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:37:48 PM »
Is there anything left of value for a foreign car maker to pilfer after Mercedes finished with Chrysler? Germans sunk it in deep on us in that fiasco.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:34:04 PM »

The statement said Fiat would take an "initial" 35-percent stake, suggesting the deal may be broadened. It stressed that under the agreement the company is not committing to funding Chrysler in the future.

Doesn't that sound great!  Have a 35% share in Chrysler but am not commited to do anything about providing funds if required in the future. Let me see, I bet all they want is free access to some newly vacated manufacturing facilities so they can build there Alfa Brand in the US and have someone to market it through.  Doesn't sound like a very solid Alliance to me.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:45:51 PM »
So, do I say,

Fee-at    or
F-eye-at?

I never have known.    :lol: