Author Topic: ok, tell me what is incorrect with my trunk area  (Read 2526 times)

Offline resq302

ok, tell me what is incorrect with my trunk area
« on: January 20, 2009 - 10:21:16 AM »
If you read my topic in the engine section about trying to get our chally back to the apperance of it just rolling off of the assembly line, this is pretty much the same idea, only now with the trunk space.  Below are pics of the trunk of our 70 chally vert. The quarter panels were replaced at some point and I am wondering if the E bodys got the undercoating sprayed on the inside trunk area of the quarter panels like my 69 charger did.  If there was, did they have some kind of template to block off areas such as the fuel fill or marker lights?  Does somebody have a pic of this?  The space saver spare tire is out of the trunk as well as the jack and assembly.  I know the spare rim is black and the bracket that holds the air cylinder to the spare is engine color blue.  The mast of the jack is the gold cad color with the actual jack mechanism being a dove gray with the same for the hook and the base.  Was the lug nut wrench semi flat black or was that also dove gray?  The car was built on 9/28/69 if it matters. 

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated and please rip the pics apart with what is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: ok, tell me what is incorrect with my trunk area
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009 - 11:26:52 AM »
I have seen the undercoating sprayed on the inside of the 1/4 but not on the floor pans

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:06:02 PM »
Trunk pictures, Mostly for the undercoat someone had brushed red paint everywhere.Sound deadener was appied before the panel was installed and should be body color.
The tip holder plates should be studs not bolts.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 01:21:16 PM by farmboy70 »

Offline resq302

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009 - 04:27:04 PM »
Tip holder plate?  Do you mean the exhaust tips?  If so, they were part of the exhaust kit and will be installed when we do the exhaust.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009 - 05:12:35 PM »
Sorry I meant the tail pipe mount, the reinforcement plate in the trunk.
In this picture you can see part of both at the bottom. Sorry I don't seem to have a better picture here.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 05:36:54 PM by farmboy70 »

Offline resq302

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:41:52 PM »
Farmboy,

Just noticed the receiver latch for your trunk on the green car has the mounting bolts a dark gray.  I thought that the bolts were originally painted body color as there was a rod that held the trunk up when it went through the paint booth and these two bolts were reused when the latch was installed.  Maybe Im wrong? :dunno:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:54:52 PM »
It wouldn't be necessary to hold the lid up as the spring would be in the car to hold the lid up. All the original cars I have worked on had black phos /black zinc bolts. But not 100% on that.
Dave

Offline resq302

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:59:16 PM »
Dave,

Thats true.  I forgot that the springs were in the car prior to it being painted.  Good call! :2thumbs:  I know the striker that bolts to the underside of the trunk lid was bolted in before the car was painted.  I have seen a couple original cars that have a small adjustment made where the striker was not placed right and you can see bare metal where it had been originally when it was painted.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 08:01:11 PM by resq302 »

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:04:57 PM »
I noticed a washer on the end of the spring, I've never seen that before. The bushing would be painted but no retainer I know of.

Dave
PS I'm not trying to bust on your car just trying to help with the details. :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:09:29 PM »
I noticed a washer on the end of the spring, I've never seen that before. The bushing would be painted but no retainer I know of.

Dave
PS I'm not trying to bust on your car just trying to help with the details. :2thumbs:

I think its the details that make the car and separate it from the rest of the restorations out there.  If you have seen our el camino and my charger you would know what I mean.  We've gone to the extent of putting reproduction decals on everything that orginally had them, rubber stampings and inspection marks where they would have been and such like that.

I have never seen another chally like this that has the washers tack welded to the springs.  Again, this is a fairly early built car 9/28/69 so it could have been a very early thing that they changed.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:15:03 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time a early car had something odd on it. :grinyes:
Good luck with your car and if you need any detail pictures that I have let me know. Most of my cars and customers cars have been taken back to original for judging so let me know if I can help.
Dave

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:06:09 PM »

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:08:26 PM »
Did all plants use painted bolts on the latch? I've never seen that before.All the ones I've removed were black
Dave

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:11:51 PM »
Should have added mostly B-bodys.
Dave

Offline resq302

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:44:48 PM »
Barry, just curious.  What build date is that yellow car?  Also, have you ever seen the washers tack welded in like the ones on our car for the trunk springs?