Author Topic: Having second thoughts! Looking for opinions.  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Cdnchallenger

Having second thoughts! Looking for opinions.
« on: January 20, 2009 - 10:30:47 AM »
Looking for everyones opinion please.

I currently run a 318 in my 1973 Challenger. The car runs good, is trouble free, used for street use only and probably driven no more then 300 - 400 miles every summer.

I recently picked up a 1977 440  for $450 that is complete from carb to oil pan from a friend. It needs rebuilding and aside from the block, heads and crank, most everything else would be replaced with newer parts.

I am now having second thoughts about this. I keep asking myself why I would go through all of this expense when I am pretty happy with what I have.
I keep going back and forth on this.
Has anybody else ever experienced this? Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated to help me solve my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Having second thoughts! Looking for opinions.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009 - 10:35:46 AM »
Do you like to go fast? If the answer is yes, build the engine. It's not like the car will be apart while you build the engine.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline sparkybr74mr

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009 - 11:21:43 AM »
I feel your pain. I too have a 318 challenger that runs great. I have always in the past had gm cars with performance motors and always want that power. The 318 is a great performer too. I hae a 440 that I have planned on putting in at some point in time, however as of yesterday I bought a 340 also and I am now leaning towards that build also. I AM just going to continue to drive and enjoy the car as I take my time to learn and build one or both motors as I have funds (its expensive) or time. Sometimes it feels like it's not a musle car unless you have the muscle under the hood to boot like all the big power sellers we see everyday. I don't have quite the budget for a lot of things all at once so I am learning to be patient. sparky

Offline Cdnchallenger

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009 - 12:18:01 PM »
Sure we all enjoy going fast.

I am just questioning myself. Is it worth it for me to spend $2000 to $5000 on this engine to say "Yeah its got a 440"?

Maybe its better for me to take that money and just improve my car as it is now.

I am very confused.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009 - 12:47:11 PM »

Go the 440. While the 318 is reliable and is good as is, it could easily (with a little cash) go from good to WHOA. Set up correctly your gas mileage won't change much if at all when driving normally. In terms of performance and cost it's not expensive at all. $3,000-$5,000 is cheap for performance gains you're talking about. No modern cars or "tuners" could pick up around 200hp+ for that kind of money. It should never be about what you say to someone in terms of "Yeah, it's got a ###", do it for you and to heck with what others say, /6 or 426. For the amount you drive it, I say live life in the fast lane and make those minimal miles you do put a smile on your dial. ;)

:2cents: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:01:15 PM »
Well, many things to look at
-73 Challengers never came with a big block
-you have a dependable engine that with some decals, hood script and air cleaner can look like a 340 (if you like)
-318's go pretty good

-440 is heavy and the car will drive different
-who cares how fast you go on the street
-the money to rebuild the 440 and then the money for new brackets, mounts etc.

IF you have a car you are happy with, then why change it. They is no shortage of Challengers with 440's stuffed under thier hoods and I bet you could spend 5k in much better places
-don't get me wrong, 440's are fun and cool to say I have a 440 under my hood, but I don't think you will be happy once you spent the money and installed the 440.
I have a 318 Challenger and had the same questions to answer- I bought a 340 but may still re-install the 318-they get a bad rap but are great engines and are no slouches on the street (they are not a 340 or big block, but can hang their head high)
 :horse:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 01:48:05 PM by HemiOrange70 »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:04:14 PM »
Coming from a small block guy I would say stay with a small block.  You could put a 340 or 360 in if you are wanting more power.  That is what I am going to do with mine.  It would be cheaper and look more correct!!!
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline matt63

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009 - 01:27:49 PM »
If you really want an upgrade, why not find a 360?  It will save you some money on conversion costs.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009 - 02:28:10 PM »
If you are doubting yourself now then stay with the 318.  Unless you do the majority of the work yourself you will easily be into for $4-$5K when you factor in the new tranny, and everything associated with the swap, let alone rebuilding the engine.

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:40:33 PM »
Personaly if it were me i would run that lil 318 until she ran no more. If you want more out of it do some upgrades to it, they can run just as well. Save that big block for later on if ya get to the point where you want more power my  :2cents: 
Dennis,Ohio

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:42:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with a good running 318.  :thumbsup:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:51:59 PM »
I've been on both sides of the track on this one and had em all (small blocks & big blocks). I like the big block power, but then again I think very valid points have been made here as far as cost considerations and performance. You can make a small block perform very well and put out an easy 400 hp (and even more with money). So for the money, I'd bump up the 318 or go with a 340, but for the sheer torque and power I'd do the 440. I currently have a 440 in my Challenger and it is very fast, but I have always wanted to build a stroker motor. So I am. I will still drive the 440 until the stroker is ready to swap out. Bottom line is what will make you happy?? :burnout:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:54:44 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument. 440 is great for lots of power, but you lose a little handling in the process. 318 is small and light, but lacks the power of the 440.

I would go for the 440 if I had both, but only because I am power hungry.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:54:51 PM »
If you are doubting yourself now then stay with the 318.  Unless you do the majority of the work yourself you will easily be into for $4-$5K when you factor in the new tranny, and everything associated with the swap, let alone rebuilding the engine.

:iagree:  Stay with the SB, the conversion costs will add up quickly.  If you want to upgrade later do it with a SB stoker, car will perform and handle much better without all that added weight.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009 - 09:00:20 PM »
Wish my duster had a 318. I found a date correct 360/727 in the junkyard. Might get it for 300 bucks.  The minute I score it.I'll have to dump 5K into it.  I'm looking for a running /driving 360  for 500 and get it in there for now. Then 4 barrel and headers.   The /6 is slow.  But good gas mileage.    Is the 318 stock?    Headers and a 4 barrel.  She'll sound good.    :thumbsup:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"