Author Topic: Advice on what to do first?  (Read 727 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Advice on what to do first?
« on: January 20, 2009 - 07:17:36 PM »
Just checked on-line with DAS shipping the car ( 1970 Challenger from CA) is in Morris IL now, should be in my hands on Jan 28th!! Can't wait!
I could use some suggestions with sizes of torsion bars ( 1"Dia firm feel ?), rear springs #'s and what to do first? Exhaust and rear end is first of cource!

The car is originally a 6cyl. car (now with a all cast iron 440 with headers with a 650 holley carb)  so I'm assuming the torsion bars will need to be replaced.
I want the stock big disc brake set up 11.9"? Seller says it has front disc's now but I don't know what ones. Maybe I'll get "lucky" in this regard?
I'd like to eventually bolt all the aluminum on the front I can to get weight off the front, so I'm planning a Holley Street dominator intake,  heads-looking at stealth -sorry stroker!lol, aluminum rad, bigger sway bar(s)  Rear end is a 7 1/4? Small from 6 cyl. that's first on the list to replace! Torque boxes , subframe connectors. Rear leaf springs ( has air shocks now, yuk!) shocks all around -thinking QA1's. Cars has open headers so I'll need an exhaust -looking at the 2 1/2 stainless system from magnaflow? Any thoughts/experience with?
I have a holley 750 ( 3310) to put on till I decide what carb to pick-looking at Demon 830 cfm, Poly bushings all around
Drivers side chrome mirror ( to match drivers ), cam shaft (now stock 440 from a 74 motorhome I'm told), roller rockers, Minilite rims-$ I know!! T/A spoilers and hood, battery in the trunk, console, TKO 5 speed  After all this is done ,paint job, not to sure of sublime yet? Quite a list I know , probably $10,000 in "upgrades"
Thanks Brad

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Advice on what to do first?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009 - 07:28:27 PM »
Well the big rotors may bolt on the spindles you have if they take the bigger brg now , you will still need the caliper adapters to move the caliper away from the disc though
 I would highly recommend the Proform 850/ 950 over any Demon
 Cam choice would be Engle or Lunati VooDoo to match the rest of your changes , I prefer solid cam grinds over Hyd
 you may just want to build a Dana over buying a 8 3/4 depending what you want to use the car for
 T bars are  a choice , everyone likes something different hard to say what you like
 never used Magnaflow exhaust
 Roller rockers I would use the Comp Pro Magnums
What to do first ..... your call 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 - 07:30:21 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t