Author Topic: Purchasing that elusive car...  (Read 2250 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Re: Purchasing that elusive car...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009 - 04:38:44 PM »
I understand.  I don't want to look like the average joker who "wants" an E-Body, but has no clue.  At the same time, I don't want to look like I know too much or the guy may think he's sitting on a gold mine.

Knowing too much isn't a bad thing - it's good to let him know you're knowledgeable.  For one, if he's thinking about selling, he'll probably be glad to know that it's going to someone who'll take care of it and give it the attention it deserves.  My seller was like that.  Secondly, if he thinks he knows a lot, it might help to humble him and convince him that it's not worth the big bucks he thinks it's worth.  Obviously you don't want to sound like a hot-shot and pi$$ him off, but it doesn't hurt to share your experience.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Tom_440

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009 - 05:01:28 PM »
I've met guys, telling them I'm local and offered to help get their ride running again. I just talk mopars and don't pressure them to sell their car. Maybe check in every few months to say 'hi' and bring your car by if they express interest in seeing it. You may not get the car immediately, but will probably be the first to get the call if they decide to sell one day.

wagesofsin

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:17:49 PM »
go to the door, or if you see the guy/gal outside and say:

hi. :wave:

it works wonders and may actually lead to conversation!!
then you can say, hey, im a member of the best site on the web!!!( insert cheap plug here)Cuda-Challenger.com natch!!!  :clapping:
ask him if he /she needs any parts for the beast.   :working:
lie and say you have the needed gimmicks.   :naughty:
then after you gain their trust, and have gotten access to the individuals daily grind( read financial/family troubles here)
and know the weak spots, you can plot your strike.  :smokin:

after you have come to be the victims closest  , bestest friend in the whole wide world, ate his or hers worst cooking, drank all the beer, and listened to enough crap to gag a preacher on a 2 for 1 sermon sunday....   :violin:

pounce!!! tell the guy/gal youll help him outta his woes by off loading the hulking mess for him/her.

once accomplished, and they are done soiling your shirt with tears of joy for ridding them of the burdensome vehicle in question.

slowly drive away in your well deserved vehicle, all the while waving with the other hands fingers crossed!!  :burnout:

good luck!!

the methods and views expressed in this post are not verified or condoned by anyone but the little man in red on my shoulder.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009 - 09:18:21 AM »
the methods and views expressed in this post are not verified or condoned by anyone but the little man in red on my shoulder.

LOL

What an appropriate comment from someone with "SIN" in their screenname :)  lol

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009 - 12:26:34 PM »
My approach is very simple. Go to the door, tell the guy you noticed his car sitting there for quite some time and lay a sob sorry that you let one get away years ago that meant alot to you. Keep in mind that 9 out of 10 times your going to get that someday jive or the car would have been gone by now. Go in expecting to be turned away or hit with a ridiculous price. Been there done that!! :2thumbs: good luck!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009 - 01:09:01 PM »
There is a 70 challenger sitting in a building in a town here in Texas where I lived. It's been there for 4 years. It has a thick layer of dust on it. It is in VERY nice condition. I finally called the guy a couple months ago, right before I found my 73 on Craigs List. I was really hoping it was an old lady who's husband had a shop (there is also 2 chargers, a valiant, a 4 door coronet, and 2 cudas in and outside the shop) and maybe passed away and she hadn't touched anything. Turns out it was a guy who just hadn't done anything with those cars. I asked him if the Challenger was for sale and he said "No, one day I'm gonna get that thing running again. I owned it in 1980 and sold it a few months later. I found it again in 2003. I have 3 other challengers in a barn that I'm gonna use parts off of." I tried to get him to sell one of the cudas. "No, those aren't for sale either." How about one of the challengers in your barn? "Nope. Not those either." I didn't really want a charger or valiant. He did say "Try me again a year or so from now. I may change my mind." But I have a 73 Rallye now so I'm happy.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009 - 01:16:23 PM »
Keep in mind that 9 out of 10 times your going to get that someday jive or the car would have been gone by now.

Whereas we all know how true that is, it's not ALWAYS true.  When I found my 'Cuda, the guy had been "thinking" about selling it for some time, but never bothered to do it.  In fact, he was so lazy in his efforts to sell it that I was able to sit on it for nearly 6 months before I was ready to purchase it.

USUALLY, those of us that are ambitious enough to actually approach someone's house and try to buy their vehicles are SERIOUS buyers.  Tire-kickers wouldn't normally bother to do this - they'll stop you at a gas station, or in a parking lot somewhere...  Just going to his house and starting the conversation will illustrate that you're serious about it.

Enough talking about it already - have you gone over there yet??!!

Jeff

:useless:

(Just, ya know, pre-emptively...)  :)

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009 - 06:54:17 PM »
First thing is treat the owner with respect no bull he or she always knows what they have . If some one walks up to my home with  no car they get a cell phone pic with one hand cause my other is on my 12 gauge bad move . I always show up with a trailer and cash every one hates tire kickers .also if you need more than 15 mins to decide on a car you are way over your head unless its in pcs more time is needed . also most cars have had other lookers before you most again are kickers and very seldom will they make an offer and thats were they fail .dont be afraid to offer what you actually would pay and again dont insult the owner . I have flipped over 250 muscle cars and several thousand jelly beans and dumplings o yeah dont use the last two words around seasoned dealers you wont get the car . I hope this helps .c

Offline cwestra

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009 - 07:19:26 PM »
I was initially turned down by a guy who had a Cuda I really wanted.  Great car but he said he had a guy that would offer him WAY more than I was prepared to pay for it at that time and if he didn't sell to him he was planning to restore it someday.  I was very respectful of that, even though I knew the price was outrageous.  But before I left I gave him my contact information and told him if he changes his mind, this is where he can reach me at.

I now own that car, albiet a few years later.  And I bought it at my price.  The key, at least for me, was patience, being respectful, and making sure he had a way of contacting me.

Good luck.  I know how you must feel. 
Corey - in Northern Indiana