Author Topic: Purchasing that elusive car...  (Read 2246 times)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Purchasing that elusive car...
« on: January 21, 2009 - 10:54:14 AM »
Across the small town that I live in, there is a black '72 (i think) Cuda with a white stripe down the side (rallye?).  The car has sat mostly in the same spot in the driveway for the four years I've lived here.  It doesn't have a For Sale sign, so I'm wondering what the best way to start inquiring is.  I have not had any contact with the owner.  Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to make the intro?  Do I ride over in my 'Cuda, or something more conservative?

2. What is the best way to triumph over the "I'm going to restore it someday" response that we've all heard?

3. I haven't even inspected the car from a distance less than 50 feet.  What's the best way to get up close without getting this guy in a tizzy?

4.  On the blind, any ideas what a ' 72 rallye 'cuda is worth in typical shape (assume needs quarters, trunk, partial interior, etc.)  I was thinking betwen $4k and $6k seems like a start.

I'll try to get a picture within the next few days.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Re: Purchasing that elusive car...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009 - 11:01:50 AM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009 - 11:05:23 AM »
One way would be to go over in the Cuda, and strike up a conversation with the owner. When he sees your interest, you can slide into the state of sale for the car. Perhaps they will be receptive and see that the car would be in good hands and would be interested in selling it to you. Good Luck

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009 - 11:25:15 AM »
I know there have been hints at methods on other threads, but what has actually worked for people?

I'd like to get the car, but if he's held it for this long...

Also, too many people think that if they saw a Hemi Cuda go for $95k on Barret-Jackson, their car is worth at least half that.  What's the best, least offensive technique to call someone back to reality?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009 - 12:21:44 PM »
If it is in a neighborhood, I would park a few blocks away and walk to the guys house.  This way you seem to just be out for an evening walk in YOUR neighborhood.  This will also help you look, humble.  I don't like going to a place to buy a car and show up in the car I am trying to buy.  Yes this shows that you understand the cars and have something in common but it doesn't help the price go down.  If you can afford to have a really nice one that drives around, you can afford to pay a little extra when I sell the old, not running car to you.
  I will usually start during working hours, this way, if noone is at the house, I will stroll over to the car and snap a picture of the vin and the interior and the outside rust areas so that I may look at them at home and try to decide a price in my head. 
  If the car doesn't move on it's own, I wouldn't offer more than 2 or 3 K for the car, especially with the economy the way it is right now. 
  Everyone who owns these cars pretty much wants to rebuild the car one day.  That is the hardest thing about purchasing from someone.  I usually just say that I am very anscious to get to work on a cuda, or whatever the car is I am trying to buy.  By showing enthusiasm and anxiety to work on one, often times the owner will realize that you will take the car to where it needs to be, fixed. 
  These methods have worked for me time and time again.  I don't have big wads of money to throw around so I have to play the low ballers option.  If the guy doesn't want to sale, I usually will go back in about 4 months and see if things have changed.  Using the "I noticed the car hasn't moved" method on the return trips. 
  If I can't get the guy to budge, then I will show up on the 4 month schedule driving my cuda or whatever.  That way, it helps spark the return conversation.  Show him your car, get his ideas for what he wants to do, and then try to purchase his again as he realizes that he hasn't the time or money to do what he wants to the car.
  Hope this helps. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009 - 01:27:39 PM »
Thanks!  That helps a lot!

Anyone else, or is everyone still worn out from their Inauguartion parties?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009 - 01:52:52 PM »
Thanks!  That helps a lot!

Anyone else, or is everyone still worn out from their Inauguartion parties?

lol.

I agree, dont go in your car.  Drive something else if you dont feel like walking.   :lol:

Dont snoop around the car without asking.  Go to the door first.  If the person isnt home, come back another time.  What would you do if someone is snooping around your property?  I sure wouldnt be too happy, no matter how innocent a person looks.  He tells someone about the car, that guy tells his friend, etc.  The word gets out to the wrong person with a bad idea, and who knows what happens. 

Some cars cant be saved.  Its a fact.  There's a '73 Barracuda around here plainly displayed in a guys yard.  He's the original owner, cant/wont restore it, and wont sell it.  Thats just the way it works.   :walkaway:

Offline matt63

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009 - 02:12:34 PM »
If it's in plain view I'm sure he/she has been approached many times.  This doesn't mean they won't change their mind one day.  You might get lucky and hit them on good day.  You could just leave them your name and number and say that if they are interested in selling one day to give you a call. Good luck.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009 - 02:20:31 PM »
When I "found" my 'Cuda, I approached the house shortly after working hours.  I made sure I was wearing respectable clothing - nothing dressy, just khakis, polo shirt, etc.  I also made sure I had a C-note in my wallet (you might want 4 or 5) because you NEVER KNOW when you'll find that guy who says, "shoot - what've ya got in yer pockets?"  I heard of a guy once who got a 340 'Cuda for a freakin' dollar............

Anyways, start by ASSUMING that the guy loves and drives the car often.  You know otherwise, but don't let him in on your research.  DON'T take your own 'Cuda - two reasons:  He'll think, "he already has one so why should he want mine?" AND, he might see your car - how nice it is - and think, "Man, I really want mine to look like that" and actually rekindle his interest in KEEPING his car.

Ask questions like, "What year is it?  What motor is in it?" - simple questions that you might already know the answer to - you just want to get him talking.  I'd hesitate to start talking about yours - if he's financially challenged and realizes you're looking to buy your SECOND classic car, it might just put him off.  Approach that topic carefully.

As he's talking about the car, you'll get a feel for what it means to him.  Maybe it's his father's car and it's important to him.  Maybe it was his first car.  If he doesn't talk with that "mopar passion" we all know so well in our hearts, then after a while casually ask, "have you ever considered selling it?"  He might go straight with a yes or no.  He'll probably go on about "restoring it someday"...  At that point you want to be casual, tell him you were asking because you'd be interested in making an offer and were just curious if he had ever considered a value on the vehicle.

The important thing is to get him thinking about it.  You don't necessarily want to talk figures unless he definitely DOES want to sell it.  You at least want him to start thinking about it - thinking about maybe having a few grand to put in his pocket, clearing that spot in the driveway - whatever.  Then, in another month, you can approach him again and ask if he's thought any more about it.

Now, if he says, "Oh yeah - I'm thinking $10,000 for it" then again, you have to make a character assesment based on your conversation with him up to that point.  If he seems like a wise-a$$, then you're best dropping it and wrapping up your chat.  You can't teach a pig to fly - it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.  If he seems like maybe he's unsure of his price, maybe start by asking him how he arrived at that figure.  When he says, "Well I saw Barrett Jackson," make a reply like, "I think Barrett Jackson skews people's understanding of these cars because there are so many factors - such as model year, engine, trim, and features - that affect the value of these vehicles.  I can tell you that from what I've researched, this vehicle, with [insert what he's said it has here] would probably go for [insert appropriate price.]"  Don't use the word "only" - as in, "Only worth $6,000."  You don't want to make him feel insulted or ridiculed.  Also, don't try to diminish the value of his car - don't tell him it's worth 2K if it's worth 6K, etc.  If he doesn't accept your deal on the spot and decides to do his homework, he'll realize you were BS'ing him real quick and any chance you had of acquiring the car will be shot (as you might be if you return to his house!)

That's how I'd approach it - assume he wants to keep the car - that way you'll risk offending him by trying to buy it on the spot.  If he does want to sell it, act surprised, act interested, and always remain respectful.  He still has the keys for now!

Sorry this got wordy - but I used to sell cars for a living.  And besides, you asked for it!  :)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009 - 02:53:17 PM »
Thanks Viperman!
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009 - 03:10:59 PM »
Bring cash!
 :money: Money talks...
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline Daves74chally

• "Yea.... I need another new pair of tires"
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009 - 03:48:29 PM »
I get these conversations all the time since im young and my car isnt fully restored. Even though I drive it all the time. Summer time I get offers like at least 5 times a week.  People want these cars.
1974 Dodge Challenger 414 stroker, 727 trans, 8 3/4 posi [OO/`````\OO]

Buffalo, NY

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009 - 04:05:16 PM »
I get these conversations all the time since im young and my car isnt fully restored. Even though I drive it all the time. Summer time I get offers like at least 5 times a week.  People want these cars.
I understand.  I don't want to look like the average joker who "wants" an E-Body, but has no clue.  At the same time, I don't want to look like I know too much or the guy may think he's sitting on a gold mine.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009 - 04:33:27 PM »
Definitely don't take your car for the stated reasons above. Also when it comes to price, let him through the first number out, because there is the chance that he may only want a couple hundred bucks for it, you never know. Good luck and keep us posted.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009 - 04:36:25 PM »
My 'Cuda sits in the lot at our apartment and of course doesn't move much since I'm not home much.  I've had more than a few notes stuffed under the wipers since taking my job in March.  I called them back to tell them "nope, not for sale" at first - after I while I quit bothering!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)