Author Topic: mopar action brake issue  (Read 5035 times)

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
mopar action brake issue
« on: January 21, 2009 - 08:23:47 PM »
i read the mopar action disc o tech article in the archives here on the site.... my question is does the spindles/steering knuckle from the specified a body and e body work on all ebody's?? and also the way goody explkained it is that the bearings wont match up .... is that article credible?? has anyone followoed it all the way thru ???

Offline Changin Gears

Re: mopar action brake issue
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009 - 08:28:13 PM »
I've done that swap may times.  The spindles work on all years of e-body.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009 - 08:29:30 PM »
the 73-75 A body spindle fit the E body , any year
 it also has the larger inner brg so you can use the 10.7 or 11.8 " disc on that spindle

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009 - 08:45:56 PM »
Is it true that the F/M/J-spindles can be used if you use the tubular UCA?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:00:03 PM »
i think i have a better chance of finding the 73-74 ebody spindles ... can i still get the big rotors  for them??or are they the 10 inch??

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:22:47 PM »
i think i have a better chance of finding the 73-74 ebody spindles ... can i still get the big rotors  for them??or are they the 10 inch??

I did the swap exactly like the article, very happy with the results.  The 73-74 E-body spindle is the same as the a-body parts suggested in the article.  The early e-body disc spindles have a smaller diameter shaft where the inner bearing seats.  Dr Diff has fabricated a spacer/adapter to allow these smaller spindles use the larger diameter 11.75" rotors.

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:32:40 PM »
this is great info i am starting my disc brake swap scavenger hunt sat morning...thanks guys ... i guess the hardest part is finding the small parts like the caliper and bolts and such ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:36:27 PM »
if you use the larger rotor you need the different caliper adapter to move the caliper away from the rotor
 FMJ spindles work too with or without the tubular upper

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:45:26 PM »
what vehicle make and model year does the caliper adapter come from ??

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009 - 09:47:04 PM »
77,78,79 Cordoba Charger Magnum

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009 - 10:18:48 PM »
77,78,79 Cordoba Charger Magnum

Those are the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc I am running on my Barracuda. No problems.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009 - 05:27:18 AM »
If I remember correctly that article stated not to use the later model (late '70's) taller spindles because the upper ball joint did not have enough movement to compensate for the larger angle that the upper control arm would be at.  This would be at full suspension compression.  Has anyone looked at this?  Because if its not an issue, those spindles are way easier to find.

By the way, my 64 Polara 'tow vehicle' has the a-body spindles with the cop car rotors and manual brakes.  It stops great, has an excellent feeling brake pedal.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009 - 05:41:11 AM by Changin Gears »

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009 - 10:12:11 AM »
If I remember correctly that article stated not to use the later model (late '70's) taller spindles because the upper ball joint did not have enough movement to compensate for the larger angle that the upper control arm would be at.  This would be at full suspension compression.  Has anyone looked at this?  Because if its not an issue, those spindles are way easier to find.

I've heard that before, also heard that people have ran them fine. I bought the high end moog problem solver ball joints, and i haven't had a ball joint issue. Only about 5,000 miles or so on them.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009 - 10:51:34 AM »
i think i have solved the problem i found a 72 challenger in the junk yard that has disc brakes .... so if the guy will come off of ti i am gonna buy them... and i checked at advance i can get new caliper pads and bracket for 52 bucks :cooldancing: :cooldancing:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009 - 01:32:50 PM »

This article, while very informative and full of good info, has been a point of contention for any number of people for a long time because of because of the tall spindle issue.

The fact of the matter is that the control arms will run out of travel before the ball joint runs out of pivot. As a matter of fact, the mopar upper ball joint has so much pivot motion and is so strong that a number of aftermarket, race suspension companies have adopted them for use in oval track racing to this day.

The other argument is that the tall spindles negatively impact suspension geometry. They change, it, whether it is negative or not depends on your perspective. The tall spindles raise the front roll center a couple of inches. This couple of inches means it reduces the lever arm effect on your car while turning, which can be a good thing.

They also are a couple of pounds lighter than other disc brake spindles which reduces unsprung weight, always a good thing.

i think i have solved the problem i found a 72 challenger in the junk yard that has disc brakes ....

Very cool. More impressive than that is that you even found an E body in a junk yard these days.