Author Topic: Need help Quickly - Dash Pad - Need options  (Read 862 times)

Offline Grasshopper

Need help Quickly - Dash Pad - Need options
« on: January 23, 2009 - 04:58:02 PM »
I have a few weeks off to work on my 73 Challenger and was planning on installing a dash.

I have a 1970 Barracuda dash with AC as my core.  I understand the 1970 has the emblem embossed into the dash.

I was planning on simply purchasing a 70-74 Challenger Dash cap for now and installing the dash.  I went to purchase the dash cap today and was told that the lines on the 1970 dash for the cuda is different from all the other years and that the Challenger dash cap I wanted to buy wouldn't fit properly.   :villagers:

I building a prostreet type race car out of my car so I am not hung up on fine resto points.  I just want something  that looks nice and is functional.

What are my options?   (I am based in canada so $1.00 US is costing me $1.23 CDN.  Yikes!)

1. I could buy a cheap challenger core and then buy a dash cap. $300 - $500  US + shipping
2. Just buy a new dash from ebay yearone - $500 - $700  US + shipping

What else?   Is there anyway I can simply use the core I have??!!  That is ideally what i would like to do.

I would like to get this done today to get it for next week to not lose too much time.

Help PLEASE!!

Here is a pic of my core.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 - 05:00:09 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Need help Quickly - Dash Pad - Need options
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 - 06:24:12 PM »
The 70 Challenger dashpad was the only thing that was different in E-Bodies. It had stitching. A 71-74 dashcap will fit over your's just fine. I don't know if it will have the engraved emblem or not, as I haven't really looked at a dashcap up close and personal.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 - 06:52:41 PM »
The 70 Challenger dashpad was the only thing that was different in E-Bodies. It had stitching. A 71-74 dashcap will fit over your's just fine. I don't know if it will have the engraved emblem or not, as I haven't really looked at a dashcap up close and personal.

Mike

OK...I was told it was the 70 Cuda that was different.

Awesome.  Thanks.

the 71-74 caps won't have the engraving, just a place to stick the emblem - which I have.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 - 06:56:25 PM »
You are good to go.  :thumbsup:  That is the same shape of dashpad that was originally in my car from a 71 Challenger.

EDIT:  Ooops, I mean my car had a 71 dashpad on it when I bought it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 - 07:31:31 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009 - 05:32:49 PM »
There are DIY kits for repairing cracks on dash pads.  Has anyone out there attempted to use one of these kits and if so, what insight can you provide?  I am nearing a decision point with my pad as well and would like to avoid the expensive replacement approach if possible.
Corey - in Northern Indiana