Patina

Author Topic: Patina  (Read 926 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Patina
« on: January 24, 2009 - 10:12:51 PM »
I came upon this scene recently and thought, "Now there's something you don't see everyday". What may be the overgrown remains of a small roadside motel - maybe not but you never know... - with a 1956 Nash Statesman Super in front.

It seems i'm not the only one who had to stop for a pic or three :picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattlollar/3036433540/
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

wagesofsin

Re: Patina
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009 - 10:18:15 PM »
very nice, a man after my own heart. my true love is always complainin about me pulling over for no good reason other than to record some long forgotten relic, or attraction. :picture:  i love nostalgia. :woohoo:

keep it up, it may be our only recourse to actually remember what america was like.   :banghead:

john

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 - 02:06:26 AM »
Here is between another relic from the past, an old campground (Two Guns) between Williams and the Meteor Crater in Arizona. 

It felt really strange to wander around the campground and see what was left of someone's dreams.  I could almost feel the excitement and hope for the future that they must have felt when they opened, now replaced by the despair and desolation of failure.  It was really sad, and the stormy weather only added to the feeling.

We wandered around, and could see the dying shade trees trying to hold on, gravel campsites becoming overgrown with weeds, rock-edged flowerbeds with weeds in them, the deserted swimming pool filling with dirt and leaves, the laundry, office and washrooms, all just deserted and not really vandalized much.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009 - 02:10:37 AM by burnt orange »
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009 - 01:24:56 PM »

Reminds me of cars and places I have seen in the past.  Thanks for sharing......
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009 - 04:14:19 PM »
Here is between another relic from the past, an old campground (Two Guns) between Williams and the Meteor Crater in Arizona. 

It felt really strange to wander around the campground and see what was left of someone's dreams.  I could almost feel the excitement and hope for the future that they must have felt when they opened, now replaced by the despair and desolation of failure.  It was really sad, and the stormy weather only added to the feeling.

We wandered around, and could see the dying shade trees trying to hold on, gravel campsites becoming overgrown with weeds, rock-edged flowerbeds with weeds in them, the deserted swimming pool filling with dirt and leaves, the laundry, office and washrooms, all just deserted and not really vandalized much.

It kind of harkens a time when families would load up the station wagon and pull behind Air Streem and go off on family vacation to explore West. Maybe a boy with a cap gun and holster. Maybe a belt buckle and a red cowboy hat with a white leather string laced around the brim. A daughter that you may have never seen wearing anything else but a dress. Maybe she had sme old fashined dolls.

Mom and Dad's maybe like the ones in Christmas Story. Very real. Leaning over the back seat saying "Don't make me pull this car over!", but never having to get that far.

When did that stop? What happened? Was it the gas crunch in the 70's. Was it decreased emphasis on family and more on careers.

We drove out to California when I was 7. This was in 1986 but for me it may as well have been during the hay day of "Two Guns" pictured above. I didn't know the difference. I was little, we had an old station wagon. We would play in the cargo area as we drove down the road. We listened to one tap the entire way it seamed. Beach Boys, Summer in the City, If youre going to S.F.

We stopped at the Grand Canyon, Alcatraz, Disney Land and Hoover Dam. We stopped ate every state line and took a pic of all of up in front of the sign. We stayed at KOA's. This got me interested in wat the landscape is like around our country and made me more aware of geography.

Sure the cars on the road were different. The songs were slightly different, toys we took with us were different but everything else was the same. A family traveling in a wagon, camping, eating sandwiches on the side of the road and not at McD's.

I am anxious to share this with my daughter but it will definately be different for her than it was for me. No siblings to fight with or play with, we'll probably eat more fast food than sandwiches,.........

I will do my best to keep the Great American Family Vacation alive.

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009 - 04:35:10 PM »

I am anxious to share this with my daughter but it will definately be different for her than it was for me. No siblings to fight with or play with, we'll probably eat more fast food than sandwiches,.........

I will do my best to keep the Great American Family Vacation alive.

Yeah, like you my family vacations (although the 50's, not the 80's) consisted of everyone piling into the car and spending the next week or so fighting with my brother and sister and hating every minute of the trip and wondering why my parents put us through this special kind of torture.  Sort of funny how these have become the fondest of memories!

I subjected my 2 early teen daughters to the same thing driving through Arizona and Nevada a couple of years ago.  Air conditioned car, motel with pool every night, restaurant meals, iPods etc, etc.  No similarity to what I went through, but success, they hated the trip too!

I guess the memories are of things that are so good they can never be replicated (like Cuda's, not Challengers) so there is no point in trying.  Each new experience will become a memory in its own right, with all the emotions and feelings attached in their own way.
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009 - 08:07:34 PM »
Yeah, I did forget to mention the wagon didn't have A/C. To think we went with the windows down in the day. There is something about driving with the indows down.
Nowadays the only window action my car gets is at the bank drive through so sometimes we'll roll the windows down when driving down the beach front. Much different than going 65 down the interstate with all the windows down including the tailgate window.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009 - 10:15:47 PM »
 Cool pics! reminds me of our vacations when I was young. Pile into my dads 53 Plymouth, 4 dr sedan,   it was a 6cyl 3 on the tree! My first intro to Mopars and the only car my dad EVER bought brand new! He would  take the mattress off my bed and set it up over the back seat! So we had room to play and take naps!!  Wow , I haven't thought about this in a milllion years!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009 - 10:50:15 PM »
I love those old roads and the things you can see, It excites me and saddens me sometimes but it's all great.
I have done the cross America drive a few times in old mopars and one old Caddy, Man O Man what drive.
South east has a lot of old stuff still around too.
My Daughters have booked a cruise to Niagara Falls In the Challenger when it's back on the road, they are very excited about the idea.
I try to strengthen there interest in dads road trips and traveling as much as we can.
I guess it's easier when there 6 and 8.
Jackson from Toronto.