Author Topic: Lowering car..??  (Read 7225 times)

Offline 666 the legend

Re: Lowering car..??
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:27:36 PM »
You're bertter off with the front shackle being flipped or buying the mancini one I would be a little concerned about stability with the block added between the spring and the perch.
I dont think a 1 inch will be all that unstable......As long as the U-Bolts are tight..Im not goin racing or anything..I have other cars for that...I just want a good stance for now...Plus  Im dumpin money into 5 other cars...Im goin with the CHEAPY WAY for now...
67 Camaro SS/RS 4 speed[ royal plum]
68 Chevy II [Nova YENKO Clone]
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009 - 09:34:48 PM »
I knew someone who had a 70 dart with a big block and super stock springs and installed 2 inch lowering blocks to get the ride height where they wanted it and this car ran 10's all day long and they never had a problem.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009 - 09:43:27 PM »
I knew someone who had a 70 dart with a big block and super stock springs and installed 2 inch lowering blocks to get the ride height where they wanted it and this car ran 10's all day long and they never had a problem.
..Im witcha on dat..!!
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009 - 10:27:53 PM »
OK. My only concern about the blocks is not whether they can handle power. Straight line driving 10 second quarter miles is not an issue. If the car is driven on the street it is the side loads on the turns that can cause the springs to come miss-aligned. A four link with a diagonal bar is strong enough to go 8's but won't hold up on the street. that is why panhard bars and ways links came about. Only speaking from experience. Nothing personal. Flipping a front hinge means not buying anything at all. If its cheap that you want.

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009 - 10:33:05 PM »
..I hear yah..But I know the RUSTY OLD U-BOLTS will give me a hard time anyways......and I gotta loosen 'em up anyways right..?? So I might as well get new ones and slide a block under there....But I wont be turnin corners fast or anything..Just PUTT PUTTIN around....But i understand what yer sayin..
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009 - 01:35:38 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the blocks being a stability problem, especially 1". Plenty of trucks run large blocks to lift them (rear axle under the leafs), including my g/f's '71 ford 4x4, which has 4" blocks in the back :22yikes:. They really aren't that unusual, and as long as they're properly installed you shouldn't have any issues. The pictures below are off of the Gurney car, which, in addition to plenty of other suspension mods, uses blocks to set it a little lower (actually appears to be a block welded to a wedge). As you can see, it spends ALL its time going around corners fast! ;D

I suppose the other question to ask it, what springs is the car running now? Stockers, or aftermarket? If its got aftermarket springs like Super Stocks or ESPO lift springs it could be higher than normal. Got any pictures of how it sits now?  :picture:

I ask because I currently have a set of XHD springs on my Challenger. They spring rate is great, but the ride height is about identical to the worn out stockers before I swapped them out  ::). This isn't exactly what I was looking for, so I could probably be talked into parting with them  ;).

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 - 01:50:02 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009 - 09:18:18 AM »
I installed a set of the XHD springs on my Challenger hoping to raise the back end up at least a little bit, but the ride height didn't change at all. It did improve the handling a bit though.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009 - 04:05:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the blocks being a stability problem, especially 1". Plenty of trucks run large blocks to lift them (rear axle under the leafs), including my g/f's '71 ford 4x4, which has 4" blocks in the back :22yikes:. They really aren't that unusual, and as long as they're properly installed you shouldn't have any issues. The pictures below are off of the Gurney car, which, in addition to plenty of other suspension mods, uses blocks to set it a little lower (actually appears to be a block welded to a wedge). As you can see, it spends ALL its time going around corners fast! ;D

I suppose the other question to ask it, what springs is the car running now? Stockers, or aftermarket? If its got aftermarket springs like Super Stocks or ESPO lift springs it could be higher than normal. Got any pictures of how it sits now?  :picture:

I ask because I currently have a set of XHD springs on my Challenger. They spring rate is great, but the ride height is about identical to the worn out stockers before I swapped them out  ::). This isn't exactly what I was looking for, so I could probably be talked into parting with them  ;).

...I just got the car last month and i dont know what springs are on the car....And I broke my camera....But..I will borrow a camara soon ,to take a few pics...
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009 - 05:14:14 PM »
...also..??? is there a CERTAIN.." TORQUE SPEC " for the U-BOLTS..??
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:14:38 PM »
...also..??? is there a CERTAIN.." TORQUE SPEC " for the U-BOLTS..??

55lbs

after lowering my ride.... about 670HP then  :bigsmile:  no issues! Lowering Block cut for pinion angle!

Before and after  :2thumbs:

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:18:14 PM »
....How much did yah lower it..?? and what is your pinion angle set at..??
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

nivvy

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:42:23 PM »
I used a 2" block but id did not lower the car 2 inches cause the block was cut at an angle for the pinion...... follow me.... get an angle finder first to measure pinion angle.... before..... I think it was 5* down in that pic with my ss springs..... i have a whole different setup now!

I have a 2" block now I believe cut at a certain degree i could sell ya.. i can check specs if you need but measure your pinion angle first now...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 - 06:44:43 PM by StRoKer »

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009 - 07:05:36 PM »
I used a 2" block but id did not lower the car 2 inches cause the block was cut at an angle for the pinion...... follow me.... get an angle finder first to measure pinion angle.... before..... I think it was 5* down in that pic with my ss springs..... i have a whole different setup now!

I have a 2" block now I believe cut at a certain degree i could sell ya.. i can check specs if you need but measure your pinion angle first now...
..I aint doin ****...lol.Its 25 degrees in my shop......But i will check it before....So..? How much did yah lower the CAR all said and done..?? about an Inch..?? and Im gonna go with the 1 Inch block for now..Plus..My buddy just grabbed me a SET today from pep boys..!!
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340

nivvy

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009 - 11:45:26 PM »
..I aint doin ****...lol.Its 25 degrees in my shop......But i will check it before....So..? How much did yah lower the CAR all said and done..?? about an Inch..?? and Im gonna go with the 1 Inch block for now..Plus..My buddy just grabbed me a SET today from pep boys..!!

Im not rying to be rude but pep boys / auto zone or whatever sells cast junk that cracks........  :2cents:

Im not trying to make a sale buy from whomever but i bet yours are cast.........  :2cents:

Offline 666 the legend

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009 - 04:10:55 PM »
Im not rying to be rude but pep boys / auto zone or whatever sells cast junk that cracks........  :2cents:

Im not trying to make a sale buy from whomever but i bet yours are cast.........  :2cents:

....Wouldnt they have to pass some sort of SAFETY SPEC..?? have you heard of them breakin before..?
68 Impala Custom
69 HURST/OLDS # 57
72 Trans Am 4 speed
73 Barracuda 340