Author Topic: Challenger wheel comparison  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
Challenger wheel comparison
« on: January 26, 2009 - 11:53:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

after reading through tons of posts and asking many (dumb) questions, i'm ready to order my new wheels: I'll go for the tested and proven combo 235/60/15 on 7J front and 275/60/15 on 10J rear. I'd like to go even bigger with the rear-rubbers, but don't want to modify the car. Tires will probably be BFG radial T/As.

As for the wheels, i've always been a big fan of mean musclecar looks. The Mopar Rallyes i have right now are beautiful, but look too tame and nice imo. So i'm a bit torn right now, between getting wider Rallyes for the back (10J) and having the wheelcenters painted black, or getting a set of Weld Draglites.

Below you see her as she is right now with the silver coated Rallyes, then a chop of the painted version and the Draglites. So far my  personal favorite would be the Draglites. Just love that racey and aggressive style.

Let me know what you think.

Offline drewcrane

Re: Challenger wheel comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 - 02:41:23 PM »
i like the rallyes with the blacked out centers :droolingbounce:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009 - 05:57:20 PM »
I choose the top pic. To me nothing beats a set of original Rallye wheels. They are unique to Chrysler and look good.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 - 06:10:02 PM »
I choose the top pic. To me nothing beats a set of original Rallye wheels. They are unique to Chrysler and look good.

:iagree:   :iagree:   :iagree:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009 - 03:50:39 AM »
Thanks, i appreciate your comments and don't worry - i will keep the stock Rallyes in any case as a second wheel set. However i wonder if you would still dislike the blacked out centers, if Chrysler had offered these as a factory option back in the days.

While i also like my car to be mostly original, i'm willing to compromise "factory correctness" for looks and/or performance, if it doesn't hurt the car and i could convert back to original anytime.

Here's another quick chop of the black center Rallyes. To me they look great on a black car, similar to copwheels.

Edit: G-man you're right about the deep dish, that's why i'm upgrading to 10J rims.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 - 03:59:15 AM by Dreamcruiser »

Offline Bills70

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009 - 05:19:51 AM »
Did you think about just doing the center caps on the ralleys black? in your third picture it looks as if the draglites have a black center cap and that I think makes the car look really cool ! the whole center seems like too much black!! IMO Good luck! Rims are a difficult thing to decide on, that is why I just went ahead and had my old ones refinished!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 - 11:00:45 AM »
blacking the center loses the effect of the round hole & just looks odd to me , either of the other two would be my pic

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Daves74chally

• "Yea.... I need another new pair of tires"
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 - 04:54:30 PM »
Iv also liked the blacked centers. Iv been thinking of doing that to mine even though i have AMC rallys on my car(dont ask). I have been looking at my rear tire/rim combo options for awhile. So is the 275/60/15 the widest you can fit with out modifications or rubbing?
1974 Dodge Challenger 414 stroker, 727 trans, 8 3/4 posi [OO/`````\OO]

Buffalo, NY

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009 - 10:30:26 PM »
I like those black-outs......   
 :cheers:
VT Mopar
VT MOPAR