Author Topic: Dash Repair  (Read 715 times)

Offline cwestra

Dash Repair
« on: January 26, 2009 - 05:39:13 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the dash repair kits on the market for fixing cracks?  With the high price of replacement and the undesirable feel of the caps I would think more people would be looking at repairs instead.  Does it last as long?  Any help would be appreciated.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 73EStroker

Re: Dash Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 - 10:44:14 PM »
I had mine repaired by a fellow that does new car dashes at dealer lots. Looked absolutely fabulous when I picked it up. Cost $300CDN to get done. Now over a year later, in the car, radiant heat on above, the dash has a dozen or so cracks even where it was not cracked before  :swear:. So the new dash pad I need just got $300 more expensive. What happened is that the black covering gets hard and brittle and any expansion (obvious in my case) under heat causes the cracks. What I would like to do is see if some upholsterer could glue a smoother black vinyl on as the shape of the dash is still excellent. The cracks are very fine and would not be noticed under vinyl.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: Dash Repair
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:49:22 PM »
I have filled very small cracks with black RTV. It also helps to reglue the pad to the core around the speaker hole. Contact cement and a heavy, flat object work well for this. Once done, existing cracks will not be as apt to get bigger.

I'm still afraid of large cracks.

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...