Author Topic: anyone in here hit with the downturn, job wise?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
anyone in here hit with the downturn, job wise?
« on: January 26, 2009 - 06:50:55 PM »
Just listening to the evening news about all the job cuts ( catipilliar) etc.. I've been laid off 4 times last year ( still laid off actually!) I've only worked in total 6 months in a year.  I have machine shop equipment at home and have been doing small jobs for the stock car crowd. Gotta have a plan B in this economy!
Last Friday my father in-law just go laid off. He's in hardwood sales. One of my best friends just got it last week too.
Anyone else in this boat? (sinking ship).... LOL
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: anyone in here hit with the downturn, job wise?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 - 06:58:35 PM »
So far they`ve kept me for some reason!We had a fairly big layoff (6 or 7  out of 40 employees) last Dec. and they have let 3 more go since then.We are a small sheet metal job shop and we are all worried if things don`t get better soon.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:08:18 PM »
I will not lose my job unless I choose to get out of the military but getting my wife a job was hell. Even though I have job security I do feel it when there is alot of layoffs and the economy takes a downturn. It affects our whole country.
I remember as a kid my Dad got laid off all the time and it was interesting times, you know, eating cheese from a white wrapper that just says "CHEESE" in black print or milk from cans.
I've seen some tough times. I have some black friends in the military and when talking about this they don't believe it. I am a good looking white male, I have nice things now, I speak well but they just can't believe I, as the person I am, had seen commodity foods or food stamps.
I can definately relate........ and that's not lip service.

Offline Cdnchallenger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:12:55 PM »
I work for a company that supplies the local G.M. plant. That plant will be closing in mid May so I will be out of a job then after 20 years. Its going to be real tough.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:18:56 PM »
My job has been going good for now. I was told we were in a slump with nothing on the schedule, but before all of our jobs were finished, more jobs came in. alot more. So I am booked now for a few months. But I'm not holding my breath. These plants could fail or cancel at any givien time. I really dont feel secure unless I start taking a few projects out of the USA, but I don't want to.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:26:39 PM »
Currently my job seems to be very secure. My boss is extremely happy with the work I am doing, and the company just posted bigger than expected 4 quarter earnings and we have an 80 billion dollar backlog of work. I read on CNN today that there were 68,000 jobs lost TODAY and that is scary stuff. I feel for those people who are being impacted hard by this economic downturn and hope things turn around soon, but I fear that we won't see a turn around for at least a year.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:29:12 PM »
We are real slow, had a big job of 22 hotels before the inauguration so they would be up and running when it happened, now it's dead and nothing even to bid on. Hope my owner can afford to keep my salary or atleast give me enough head's up to look elsewhere.  Sure feel for peeps out there that are looking, good luck hope it all works out.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009 - 07:56:35 PM »
I have been without a job for 45 days.  10 years in this mountain valley and I have had a job every day of that ten years.  Now, noone is building or spending anything.  Normally I build custom homes but those with money are not building vacation homes for themselves right now.  Just scored a remodel so at least something is going to happen.  Doesn't look good after that though.  Normally I am booked up for about a year but now I have nothing on the books.  I am pretty much selling anything that anyone wants.  Not that I have much left at this point.  Ebay has helped a little with selling stuff around the house and garage but that isn't substantial income.  Oh well, hope it all gets better soon or I will be out on the streets. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:30:44 PM »
68,000... CNN.com just amended those figures to 71,500.  We actually have a meeting tomorrow to discuss rumors and so forth.  I gotta say getting nervous now

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:35:24 PM »
being self employed my phone has stopped ringing , it is usually slow this time of year but not this slow  :pullinghair:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:38:21 PM »
being self employed my phone has stopped ringing , it is usually slow this time of year but not this slow  :pullinghair:

Same here, getting close to laying one of 2 guys left off.  I had 6 guys last summer.  Been slowly going south.

Tom :1zhelp:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009 - 09:10:14 PM »
The company I work for laid off 20 guys last week (out of 300 or so).  The owners are grumbling about everyone needing to be more efficient (which I agree with 100%) an dthat tough times are ahead.  The account I am in charge of (Motorola) just posted 4th qtr sale 54% below '07's.  Don't think my job is in jeopardy (yet) but there goes any chance I had for a raise - haven't seen one in 2 years after a small bump the first year.  I am really going to knuckle down at home and get to work on debt elimination.  If I loose my job, I am in bankruptcy the next day.  In the meantime, I am going to really work harder on building up my sideline (as many of you know - stripe kits & graphics) once I sell my 72 RR clone - I need the $$ from that to buy a better piece of equipment.

Oh yeah - the worst part about the owners' grumblings...They bought a brand new Lear 45 less than a month ago after they already saw business turning down for teh previous several months.  There's a lot of people at my plant that are PISSED because we have not seen raises in years but they have enough CASH to buy a 12 milliion dollar TOY!
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009 - 05:58:14 AM »
Well i can say my job in the medical field is secure no worries and kenny works for verizon so he is secure .I thank our lucky stars that we are ok and feel bad for all those hard working people who are losing their jobs.I wish you all good luck on finding work.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009 - 02:16:49 PM »
I saw on the news that there were 71,500 layoffs that happened yesterday.  Monday the 26th.
This is hitting alot of people in various markets.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009 - 02:21:20 PM »
4 of my colleges were fired today... that`s 4 out of 12 employees  :scared:
*** Bart ***